Update (Wed 3rd Jun, 2020 15:20 BST): And just like that, Curse of the Sea Rats has been fully funded. It managed to smash its goal in just nine hours.
Original Article (Tue 2nd Jun, 2020 17:00 BST): Indie developer Petoons Studio has today launched its Kickstarter campaign to fund Curse of the Sea Rats, a new Metroidvania aiming to launch on Nintendo Switch and other platforms.
We first heard about this one last summer, with the game's 2D hand-drawn animation, 3D environments, and real-time combat mechanics leaving us rather intrigued. Players will be tasked with exploring an island, taking on creatures and "brutal" bosses as they go, all on a non-linear quest to find freedom.
The Kickstarter campaign has been put in place to generate more money for development; Petoons Studio says that the funds "will be critical to complete the project without compromising the art and quality".
- Classic hand-drawn animation like the golden era of Disney and Don Bluth.
- A perfect mix of 2D models crafted on a 3D game environment for a 2.5D side-scrolling platformer experience.
- Explore a huge map with hundreds of rooms, in a non-linear quest, solving puzzles, and fighting enemies in the coast of Ireland in 1777.
- 4 playable characters, jam-packed with weapons and special abilities to upgrade.
- Discover all the secret rooms, special items, and multiple endings.
- Single-player mode: more than 12 hours of gameplay for the main quest
- Local Co-Op Multiplayer mode: up to 4 players.
- Spectacular intros and animations to discover the story behind the characters.
You can check out the Kickstarter and pledge your support here; we're only on day one, but the game has already generated almost half of its goal at the time of writing.
Do you like the look of this one? Will you be backing the game on Kickstarter? let us know with a comment.