In Other Waters, a "unique narrative adventure", will be heading to Nintendo Switch on 3rd April, it has been confirmed.
The game puts players in the shoes of AI assistant, Ellery Vas, revealing the mysteries of the turquoise depths of an alien ocean. She's a Xenobiologist (which is someone who essentially studies aliens, according to a hasty Google search) who is searching for her missing partner on the planet Gliese 677Cc.
Equipped with a malfunctioning dive suit possessed by a strange AI unit, Ellery discovers extraterrestrial life and an ocean full of secrets. A press release for the game says that "In Other Waters is like the ASMR of video games", allowing you to join Ellery on a journey of learning and discovery. Here's a feature list:
- Explore an Alien Ocean: Freely dive into an expansive section of seafloor, from shimmering reefs to inky depths. Unlock upgrades and make discoveries that allow you to open up new paths, uncovering strange creatures and environments as you do.
- See the World Through an AI Lens: Navigate an elegant, intuitive UI via touch or mouse controls. Interpret signals, set headings, and map the ocean through experimentation and intuition.
- Become a Xenobiologist: Discover and catalogue species through observation, scanning, taking samples, and interacting with alien life. Read Ellery’s notes, look at her sketches, and help her classify an entirely new ecosystem.
- Plan Your Dives: Choose whether to study creatures, investigate secrets or dive new areas, then come back to your base to study samples in the lab, chat to Ellery or read her journals to understand more about this world.
- Build a Lasting Relationship: Through limited communication learn more about the person whose suit you inhabit, and help guide her towards a terrible truth. What you experience together will bring you closer.
Pre-orders for the game actually start today, with a 10% discount available from now until 10th April. From then, it will return to its normal price of $14.99.
Do you like the sound of this one? Will you be adding it to your Switch wishlist? Tell us in the usual place.