The Pokémon Trading Card Game appears to be as popular as ever - indeed, the first Pokémon Sword and Shield expansion launched just a few weeks ago - and players have been snapping up cards for their collection like crazy.
According to data provided to Nintendo Life by eBay, there were 19 million searches for 'Pokémon' in 2019, resulting in more than half a million trading cards being sold in that time. A list of the top five most expensive cards has also been presented, based on eBay sales data from January 2016 to February 2020 ('PSA' refers to a grading system, with 10 being the best condition possible):
Top 5 Most Expensive Pokémon Trading Cards:
1. Pokémon Ultimate Charizard Collection, PSA10/9, 1st Edition - $18,500
2. 2005 Japanese Umbreon Play Promo Gold Star Holo, PSA10 Gem Mint - $15,000
3. 1st Edition Shadowless Charizard, PSA9/10 - $14,500
4. 1999 Pokémon Game 1st Edition Holographic Charizard [4/102] - $14,000
5. Pokémon Japanese 20th Anniversary 24k Gold Pikachu Promo Card Giza Tanaka - $12,500
Elsewhere in eBay's report, it's revealed that the top five most popular characters based on sales are Pikachu, Charizard, Eevee, Mewtwo, and Snorlax respectively, and that Pokémon Sun and Moon have remained the most purchased Pokémon games on the site since 2016.
Back to cards, the highest-selling trading card expansion set in recent times has been Pokémon XY: Breakpoint, which has remained on top since its release in 2016. Of course, some cards have sold for much more than those listed above, including one that went for a whopping $195,000!