In the E3 2019 Nintendo Direct it's been confirmed that Capcom is bringing both Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 to your favourite hybrid handheld console this autumn.
The segment started off with a young couple heading to a mansion to play the recently released original Resident Evil on their Switch, before the reveal that two of the later games are also on the way. Here's a quick summary of the features coming in Resident Evil 5 from the official blurb:
• Play Anywhere: Play Resident Evil 5 on the go using the Nintendo Switch system’s handheld or at home in tabletop mode.
• All Previously Released DLC: Includes costumes, game modes, figurines and bonus story scenarios “Lost in Nightmares” and “Desperate Escape.”
• Two Playable Characters: Chris Redfield, protagonist of the original Resident Evil, partners with African BSAA agent Sheva Alomar to investigate the cause behind the bioterrorism epidemic.
• Two Player Local or Online Co-op: Cooperatively-focused gameplay that revolutionized the way that Resident Evil is played. Chris and Sheva must work together to survive various challenges and fight dangerous hordes of enemies.
• Score High in Mercenaries: In “The Mercenaries United” mode, take on waves of iconic enemies and bosses in a limited time period to achieve a high score. This mode features 8 playable characters like Albert Wesker and Jill Valentine, each with different costumes and loadouts to choose from.
• Fear Light as Much as Shadow: Lighting effects provide an intense level of suspense as players attempt to survive in both harsh sunlight and extreme darkness.
And here are the details for the sixth entry:
• Play Anywhere: Play Resident Evil 6 on the go using the Nintendo Switch system’s handheld or at home in tabletop mode.
• Horror on a global scale: No longer confined to a specific location, the outbreak of the C-virus is worldwide with the action taking place in North America, Eastern Europe and China
• 8 Playable Characters, 4 Unique Campaigns: Play through 4 intertwined campaigns starring Chris Redfield, Leon S. Kennedy, Jake Muller, Ada Wong and their partners.
• 2 Player Local and Online Co-op: Experience the stories locally or online with a friend.
• Crossover Campaigns: At significant points when the narrative draws pairs of characters together, the new Crossover mechanic allows up to four players to experience the horror together online.
• Agent Hunt Mode: In this new online mode for the Resident Evil series, experience the action from the other side as you take control of enemy forces. • All Previously Released DLC: Includes all map packs, special costumes, plus the ‘Onslaught’, ‘Predator’ and ‘Survivors’ multiplayer game modes
Although they're in the running for the two least-loved in the Biohazard family (the sixth entry especially), it's nice to see the series coming on the handheld - we're just missing the recent remake of Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and we'll have the whole set (if we include the Japan-only, cloud-only Resident Evil 7).
Do you think these are underrated entries in the Biohazard canon? Let us know if you've be picking these up below.
Please have a physical release too. Resident Evil Revelations 2 and Zero already take up 38gb on my sd card.
40 dollars a piece and they are download only...(TLDR)
Given how they handled the last few releases, I have no faith in these. Expecting more overpriced digital exclusives with large file sizes and no gyro aiming.
Frustrated: I just got 5 on PS4 (thankfully on sale for $8)
Thankful: I didn't get 6 yet so I'll get it on Switch instead. I want to play this whole series, even the unpopular ones.
Now what'd be truly amazing is if we got 7 and 2 Remake.
Two Obligatory resident evil games which aren't very good.
Oh well. 2 less resident evil games to not be ported so we won't have to suffer complete Capcom saturation.
I don’t like resident evil but good game Capcom. I totally got trolled in the direct. I thought that was just for the first game. Will be buying the full collection now.
Yay give us the worst Resident Evil games in the series. Thanks Capcom.
I might get a discounted 5, I will not be getting 6.
Since I never played RE 5 or 6 I only know they are bad thanks to their reputation, but it definitely doesn't help their case that their reveal trailer was 100% focused on a different and much more appreciated game in the franchise.
Your darn right you got trolled on direct @Ryu_Niiyama and now i've followed you here to troll some more.
If you add up the savings of buying the PS4 versions of each the Resident Evil games vs buying the Switch versions you have enough money for a PS4. Add in "download only" for no incentive at all to buy the Switch versions IMO. Pass.
Fantastic news. Resident Evil 5 is an absolutely great game. I can't wait to punch rocks again. I'd be surprised at a physical release, but who cares at this point.
Fall?!? Do you mean autumn or when is fall if not?
They need to price them with the fact in mind that they are available cheaper on almost every other platform and have been for some time. At least some kind of colllection deal is needed
I like RE5 but not 6. Still, if they release them on physical, I'll get them
RE6 is the only RE I stop playing. It is painful.
They got me back with RE 7: BIOHAZARD. That is Capcom's "AC: Origins" moment where they let the fans know they listening.
The 2 worst Resident Evil games for £30 each, no ta.
Capcom: Look, we've saving 3+Code Veronica for remakes, so its this or nothing......and don't even try to ask us about spin offs you'd prefer to see!
Come on Resi 2, 3, CVX and the Umbrella Chronicles games...
the "meh" is strong with these ones
Thought it was for the 7th title in the series at first. Still not that excited for these two since they don't got that good of an reputation
I liked RE7 but I played 5 with a buddy in college on the 360 and wasn’t impressed. The co-op was more frustrating than interesting in my opinion. Still cool for those who like those games.
RE5 is mostly a solid co-op game. There are some really badly designed sections, like the on rails section, and Wesker final fight, but the rest is comedy gold (whether intentional or not).
Grgh.. The trailer actually made me get all hyped up that they were going to release the OG Resident Evil 1.
Not bad... But what about 7?
I was hoping for 7, or even something original. A side-story, a spin-off, anything BUT 5 or 6. Started both, couldn't continue playing them. It was rather painful to play.
And since Capcom did NOT disappoint in being Capcom (meaning they did disappoint, sadly, as they once were among my most "trusted" developers), it's probably going to be expensive, digital, and without any effort (better AI, gyro aiming,...).
Lol Xbox and PS4 get these for free with games pass or ps now, Nintendo there $30 or $40 each :/
For me personally, a Dream comes true!!!!
I actually love Resident Evil 5, will get it when it's discounted though, refuse to pay £30 for a game that old.
You can hate all you want, I will get both series day one. Now if they can have code Veronica x that would be great.
Why can't I play this on my TV? Are these games blocked for playing in TV-mode?🙄
Who cares about gyro.. I finished them with PS4 controller without gyro and they are doing just fine!!! COME ON!
@ekwcll I like your attitude!
@Mgene15 LOL! They are not really free because you pay to be member to get them that looks like free but thats not really free anyway. LOL!
Meaning that almost all the flagships are playable on the go now (technically all of them if you live in Japan, but that's not too different from Vita RP here). What a time to be alive.
@azoreseuropa Thank You.
Great news but I’m Still annoyed RE4 isn’t physical but they did Origins???
I'll buy RE5 if they fixed stupid horrible Sheva getting in your way all the time .
@LuciferOnReddit yes it does play like RE4. But without the Wii's awesome Wii Remote ... and without the dark scary atmosphere , and with that thing next to you all the time.
Yeesh are they really that bad?! I don't play the RE series but I know how popular it is, I thought people would be excited about these!
Loving RE2 Remake on One X. The 4k 60fps HDR is unmatched.
@Heavyarms55 yeah they're bad
@Heavyarms55 RE5 is the ultimate co-op/couch co-op game. I had tons of fun with a friend of mine when RE5 released. RE6 is a good game, a bad game, and a decent game because you'll always hear 3 opinions on it depending on who you ask. My opinion is: It's a good game.... depending on the campaign you choose, though almost everyone agrees that Leon's is the best so go from there.
RE5 is fine. It steered away from your typical grimy RE game as far as atmosphere and gameplay are concerned. It was more like an action game shoehorned in a kind of RE backstory. But an excellent co-op game with a great challenge mode.
I never finished RE6 nor I remotely remember what it was like. I think there were giant grasshopper men involved in an Asian-like building at some point ?
I need Code Veronica!
Good news, CapCom is throwing the worst games in the series on Switch... Wait what??? At least include 4/5/6 in one collection for $50.
Tap here to load 45 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...