At the very beginning of 2019, the organisers of the 19th Game Developers Choice awards announced this year's nominees. On the Switch front, Nintendo Labo was nominated for an innovation award, while indie titles such as Celeste got nominated for the best audio, design and game of the year.
The winners of each category have now been announced, and sure enough, Nintendo Labo has taken out the innovation award. Celeste by Matt Makes Games won best audio and two other games (GRIS and Into the Breach) available on Switch, were awarded best visuals and best design.
Below is the full list (thanks NintendoSoup):
- Best Debut: Florence (Mountains)
- Best VR/AR Game: Beat Saber (Beat Games)
- Best Mobile Game: Florence (Mountains)
- Best Narrrative: Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope)
- Pioneer Award: Rieko Kodama (lead producer and director at Sega)
- Best Audio: Celeste (Matt Makes Games and Power Up Audio)
- Best Technology: Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games)
- Best Visual Art: Gris (Nomada Studio)
- Best Design: Into the Breach (Subset Games)
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Amy Hennig (game designer and Uncharted creator)
- Innovation Award: Nintendo Labo (Nintendo)
- Audience Award: Beat Saber (Beat Games)
Congratulations to Nintendo Labo and all of the other games awarded.