To the surprise of absolutely nobody at all, Nintendo has recently confirmed that work has already begun on the next instalment in the Zelda franchise. The blindingly obvious announcement came in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Master Works, a book which has recently launched in Japan and contains production material and artwork from the epic Switch and Wii U outing.
Given the lengthy development period Breath of the Wild endured, it's highly unlikely that we'll see anything of this new game any time soon, but that doesn't mean we can't wildly speculate about what form it will take. As we discussed not so long ago on this very site, Breath of the Wild is perhaps the most drastic re-imagining of the core Zelda concept since the inception of the series on the NES in the '80s. Can the franchise ever return to its more linear roots after the gloriously expansive open-world gameplay of Link's latest adventure? Will players be content to have their freedom and agency scaled back in order to re-establish "traditional" elements such as rigid gear-gated dungeons, unbreakable weapons and classic items, like the Hook Shot?
The team behind the Zelda series is certainly at an interesting crossroads, and as ever, we'd love to hear what you think they should do with the next entry. Be sure to cast your vote in the poll below and then post a comment explaining your choice, and what shape you hope the next Zelda game will take.
What do you want the next Zelda to be like? (1,271 votes)
- A 3D open-world outing, like Breath of the Wild37%
- Same as above, but in 2D5%
- A 3D return to the classic roots, like Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker15%
- A 2D return to the classic roots, like A Link to the Past or Minish Cap7%
- I don't really mind which route Nintendo takes, I'll play it regardless11%
- A new Zelda CDi game, please6%
- I like to be surprised, and I trust Nintendo to take the series in whichever direction it sees fit20%
Please login to vote in this poll.