We're a little later than normal with the Media Create chart results this week, for elaborate reasons. Well, ok, we were distracted and forgot them, and the results reflect a rather unremarkable period in Japan regardless.
Dragon Quest Heroes II remains at numbers one, two and three, which is just greedy. On the plus side Kirby: Planet Robobot is still fighting the good fight with sales in five figures; in fact it's now crept past 300,000 physical retail sales in the Media Create figures, which is decent going for the platformer. Outside of that it's a quiet week due to a lack of new big-hitters.
- [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and the Prophecy's End (Square Enix, 05/27/16) – 43,640 (228,460)
- [PSV] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and the Prophecy's End (Square Enix, 05/27/16) – 38,984 (159,647)
- [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and the Prophecy's End (Square Enix, 05/27/16) – 24,742 (93,117)
- [PS4] Overwatch (Square Enix, 05/26/16) – 17,897 (76,261)
- [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot (Nintendo, 04/29/16) – 14,832 (300,479)
- [PS4] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (SIE, 05/10/16) – 6,742 (166,661)
- [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SIE, 03/19/15) – 6,555 (786,986)
- [3DS] Yo-kai Sangokushi (Level-5, 04/02/16) – 6,496 (532,480)
- [PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator (Arc System Works, 05/26/16) – 5,991 (23,821)
- [Wii U] Splatoon (Nintendo, 05/28/15) – 5,392 (1,377,885)
- [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 (Konami, 04/29/16) – 5,260 (151,392)
- [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 (Konami, 04/29/16) – 5,065 (136,953)
- [Wii U] Super Mario Maker (Nintendo, 09/10/15) – 4,815 (887,719)
- [PSV] Taisho x Taisho Alice All in One (Prototype, 06/02/16) – 4,539 (New)
- [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 (Konami, 04/29/16) – 4,048 (89,580)
- [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo, 02/18/16) – 3,344 (167,295)
- [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 (Square Enix, 03/24/16) – 3,042 (602,831)
- [PS3] Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator (Arc System Works, 05/26/16) – 2,888 (12,273)
- [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (4,990 yen Version) (Take-Two, 10/08/15) – 2,650 (114,796)
- [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf Happy Price Selection (Nintendo, 03/17/16) – 2,462 (52,923)
Hardware trends are largely as expected in light of the limited game releases, with small increases and decreases depending on the systems. New 3DS LL (XL) is still just behind the Vita, though Nintendo's portable 'family' is second when combined.
- PlayStation 4 – 23,144 (24,813)
- PlayStation Vita – 13,980 (14,956)
- New 3DS LL – 12,286 (12,394)
- Wii U – 4,153 (4,340)
- New 3DS – 2,877 (2,495)
- PlayStation 3 – 1,028 (1,017)
- 3DS – 646 (696)
- 3DS LL – 100 (78)
- Xbox One – 59 (61)
Despite the lack of headline moves we're pleased to see Kirby's latest adventure perform relatively well; are you planning to give it a try when it arrives in the West this week?
If they offer a my nintendo discount on this game, it will reach a million easy
Well you gotta admit, Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and the Prophecy's End is better Kirby Planet Robobot in terms of gameplay. I played both. But that doesn't mean Kirby Planet Robobot is bad. You should actually try it out. It's pretty great.
I actually just got up from the middle of my dinner to ask you what happened to this today @ThomasBW84
I really don't understand why "Happy Price Selection" sales numbers aren't added on to the original game, does a new cover art and price really change the game? I know it's probably a national holiday in Japan when Ninteod lowers the MSRP on a game, but it's still the same game.
Same old, same old
How did Star Fox Zero do?
Meh it's Kirby won't take long for Gamestop to fill up with used copies
I can't wait to pick up Kirby on Friday, I just finished Triple Deluxe and it was a lot of fun.
I already preordered Kirby and its amiibo. I'm so excited! (On an unrelated note, seems like Overwatch is much more popular in the West than in Japan! Not that it's doing bad, but it's not doing amazing there either.)
Look a bit lower on the charts.
Overlooked is Splatoon - a Wii U game - at a solid number 10 on the charts against some newer flash in the pan games.
Well done Nintendo.
@TheNomad Why would there be a MyNintendo discount for a game that just released?
To get more people interested in buying. As well as selling more digital goods to get enough points to redeem the discount
They did it with fire emblem fates at 10% off at launch
I'm not sure if the Wii U is going to ever see a week that breaks 10K again. It's got one more holiday season, where it would have the best chance to, but with the PS4 having a much healthier release of games and possibly a new model, I don't see too many people making the Wii U their choice.
Curious to see how the 3DS fares this year too. A lot of the lineup this year is stuff they already have.
@rjejr Different SKU. It's why Limited Edition releases are also counted separately, like what happened with the Fire Emblem if and Pokémon OR/AS Special Editions.
Low Price Editions are actually fairly common in Japan...if the game didn't get its price depressed by the second-hand market.
Still don't understand why the 2DS still hasn't been recorded in any of the Media Create reports.
Anyways, good Kirby legs. Bad hardware sales overall.
@Socar Are you serious? SFZ was a failure in Japan. It's only sold about 65,000 copies if even that. It didn't debut well and was gone from the charts after 2 weeks. It was a critical failure and now some have written it off as a commercial failure.
@greengecko007 It usually goes over 100k a week in December so I don't think breaking 10k will be a problem. 10k a week is definitely not a figure that deserves celebrating, no matter how big an improvement it is from the week before.
The big giant eShop sale here in Japan tricked me into buying a New 3DS, and I have to imagine that it will fool at least a few other people (or at least confuse them into buying a new Old 3DS). I also fell for their devious plot to force me into purchasing Kirby's Robobot game thing. So I'm a little curious as to how next week's figures will turn out... it seems very possible that the eShop sale MIGHT be enough to significantly boost sales. On the other hand, eShop sales aren't tallied in these sales results, so... maybe next week won't be as exciting as I like to think that I helped make it.
@westman98 Because there IS no 2DS in Japan!
Mario & Sonic came back from the dead, again!
I wonder if it's just selling a constant number of copies so that some weeks it is on the chart, some weeks it isn't!
Other than that, the usual Splatoon and Super Mario Maker that really are evergreen in Japan and the Animal Crossing Happy Price that shows that such moves are sensible, after all.
Glad to see that Kirby managed to surpass 300000 copies sold!
@kurtasbestos Actually, the Pokémon-themed 2DS are sold in Japan.
@TheWPCTraveler Well I get the different SKU, I used to work in publishing and ISBN could be a nightmare fro even the most minor change, but when a book got the Oprah seal on the cover and exploded in sales, we still counted all the book sales together. I would think a company like Media create could do the same.
AC:NL selling only 52k copies looks ridiculous, that game probaly sold over 2mil, if not 4mil, in Japan. amiibo Festival ma yhave only done 52k in Japan though.
@rjejr amiibo festival probably won't even break 50k lifetime including digital. It's that much of a disaster.
Corporate consumers of data would probably prefer to have divisions in SKU considered (the Persona Q LE, for instance, is extremely common even after a year and a half, and its price has dropped down to $40-50).
I don't really understand them not splitting X/Y and other Pokémon games the same way, though.
@Peach64 Yeah Wii U sales have been abysmal on Japan all year. It looks the same as 2014 before Mario Kart 8 came out.
While the Wii U has normally sold better during the holidays, I'm thinking that it might still be low considering we'll know more about the NX, which will be replacing it just 3 months later. I don't see any incentive to buy a Wii U, unless they really try to cut the price and make more bundles. But that's a good bit away anyways.
Pre-ordered Kirby and it arrived today. Plays like a typical Kirby, level 1 anyway, and that's not a bad thing.
Happy to see Uncharted, SMM, and DQM Joker 3 still selling. Really solid games, for entirely different reasons.
Tap here to load 24 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...