Forums

Topic: "Wii mode" upscales to 1080p (apparently)

Posts 21 to 38 of 38

Adam

Not that I see, Avi. If you know more, please share.

Romulux, I ordinarily have zoom 1 and zoom 2, and though i imagine they would make it worse anyway, the selections are grayed out on my Wii u's source channel.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

MAB

Where's WaveBoy @ that dude is a one stop shop when it comes to a good TV rant

Alright then I will be helpful for once
Manuals have been coming with products since our electronic age was created so try reading... Seek and you shall find... Or do what I do just press all the buttons until something good happens.

Edited on by MAB

MAB

bonesy91

So after completing my system transfer, I decided to try out xenoblade. Now on my hd TV using the Wii made it very jaggy, to the point where playing for a few hours would end up giving me a headache.

But the Wii u has taken away a great deal of the jagged mess and now xenoblade looks about 75% better than on the Wii. though snes games suffer from it (but they suffer from hd TVs in general from what I have sen )

Wiiu: "the next generation of gaming is here"
All My info! 3DS friend code, PSN ID and WiiU ID on my backlog!
Wiiu ID: bonesy. Add me if you play monster hunter 3 ultimate.

romulux

found someone who did a comparison shot on gamefaqs. the difference is small, but you should still see it easily:
wii: http://i.imgur.com/9DWY4.png
wii u: http://i.imgur.com/R5A0Z.png

the wii looks like you've turned your sharpness control down all the way in comparison, it's especially noticeable on the fretboard.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

e-love

So technically speaking, I can play Super Mario Galaxy in HD with my Wii U?

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

romulux

Emaan wrote:

So technically speaking, I can play Super Mario Galaxy in HD with my Wii U?

just in the same way you can watch a DVD in HD on your blu ray player!

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Adam

Obviously I checked the manual. There is no mention of the problem.

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Where's WaveBoy @ that dude is a one stop shop when it comes to a good TV rant

Alright then I will be helpful for once
Manuals have been coming with products since our electronic age was created so try reading... Seek and you shall find... Or do what I do just press all the buttons until something good happens.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

renaryuugufan92

its not upscaling technically~

on the wii if you had a TV that was around 30 or more inches in screen size the 480i/p resolution was being artificially stretched to fill the size of the screen, which made wii and any old games in general that ran in 480 look blurry or severely jagged on large HD displays~

now with the Wii U seeing as its using HDMI instead of Composite or Component, the image is being "displayed" at the pixels of 720p and 1080p, therefore properly displaying your games without stretching them, a more common example used is the use of DVDs in blu-ray players where a similar principle is used~ =)

also getting my Wii U tomorrow!

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

Joeynator3000

...And here I thought this was a new thread...you really don't need to bump old threads like this. :/

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

SCRAPPER392

This thread is literally SO last year.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

OptometristLime

SCAR392 wrote:

This thread is literally SO last year.

Yet 'year' we are again...

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

PloXyZeRO

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

its not upscaling technically~

on the wii if you had a TV that was around 30 or more inches in screen size the 480i/p resolution was being artificially stretched to fill the size of the screen, which made wii and any old games in general that ran in 480 look blurry or severely jagged on large HD displays~

now with the Wii U seeing as its using HDMI instead of Composite or Component, the image is being "displayed" at the pixels of 720p and 1080p, therefore properly displaying your games without stretching them, a more common example used is the use of DVDs in blu-ray players where a similar principle is used~ =)

also getting my Wii U tomorrow!

Not exactly. If you play certain VC games on the Wii the image is still stretched. And the Wii only appears to be stretched on certain TVs, because that's how they handle 480p. Most TVS have an option that's "narrow" or "wide" to compensate for this, or "stretch"...something along those lines to compensate for that

I have a 42'' TV that displays everything correctly with no overscan. I played my Wii on a 480p resolution on it and it looked great, although the graphics were a little sharp (LCD TV). It wasn't stretched at all though. The Wii looks good on my 65'' DLP TV, but DLP makes the image look a little bit softer so that has a little bit to do with it, but it still displays correctly and not stretched if I set the TV to the right mode

Upscaling to 1080p can help because just about every TV will display a 1080p image 1:1...it won't stretch or squish it or anything (usually). I still don't like the upscaling though because if I'm recording gameplay then I just have an unnecessarily large video file size. It IS useful with something like a PS3 though, if you're playing a 480p game and it upscales to 1080p, because then the XMB (basically the home menu of the PS3) is displayed at 1080p. But the Wii doesn't have the Wii U home menu so it's kind of pointless and a little bit irritating in my opinion.

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter:

SCRAPPER392

It just makes the connection/signal better by using HDMI I think. My A/V receiver upconverts to 1080i, and it does improve the quality some IMO. All my downloaded games in Wii mode(VC and Wii ware) look completely HD.
I'll just leave it at the games look pretty good altogether on HD compared to SD.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

PloXyZeRO

SCAR392 wrote:

It just makes the connection/signal better by using HDMI I think. My A/V receiver upconverts to 1080i, and it does improve the quality some IMO. All my downloaded games in Wii mode(VC and Wii ware) look completely HD.
I'll just leave it at the games look pretty good altogether on HD compared to SD.

I'm pretty sure the quality increase is because of the HDMI connection, not because of upscaling, because a digital signal is more clear than an analog one (but maybe I'm wrong)
I know that you can connect your Wii (original) to the TV using HDMI using something like this

Edited on by PloXyZeRO

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter:

DrSlump

Wii U output resolution is locket to what you chose in the options. In case of 1080p, all software and games will be upscaled to 1080p. Wii mode is upscaled to 1080p, as far as all other games, but it does not benefit any enhancements. In my case i have noticed a bad overscan management with wii u mode: if i set 1:1 mode on my tv set, borders are correct in wii u mode, but there is a large black frame in wii mode. The must fix this.

DrSlump

DrSlump

PloXyZeRO wrote:

I'm pretty sure the quality increase is because of the HDMI connection, not because of upscaling, because a digital signal is more clear than an analog one (but maybe I'm wrong)
I know that you can connect your Wii (original) to the TV using HDMI using something like this

HDMI as better noise management, but lower dinamic range compared to wii u rgb output. Actually my original Wii has better colors than Wii U in wii mode.

DrSlump

Drawdler

I can't even tell, because we got a new TV just before my Wii U and I never played the Wii on it! I've never been able to test Wii games using a Wii on it. I have noticed a few games with occasional lag no longer have that issue, though.

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

Chomposaur

Hm this must be true to an certain extent i tried this using the Wii composite cables on the Wii U and played super Mario bros on the Wii VC and it looked AWFUL, terrible ive never seen anything like it ... and then i put the HDMI cable back in and played the same game and it looked crystal clear. i also tried out Zelda: Twilight princess and it was the same .. Looked like S**t on the composite cables and looked somewhat up scaled using the HDMI cable

Disclaimer: "All opinions are my own, please do not get offended by what i have to say"

Nintendo ID :JogurtTheYogurt FC :2294-4103-5306

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.