Forums

Topic: What if Link is gender neutral?

Posts 221 to 240 of 317

CaviarMeths

Link and Zelda are different incarnations every time (direct sequels notwithstanding), but Ganon actually is the exact same being every time. He just gets trapped in a different realm and resurrected a lot. Making him a woman wouldn't really make any sense.

Still advocating a choice of gender for Link with minor changes to story context a la Mass Effect/Dragon Age.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

skywake

skywake wrote:

While i can appreciate the humor in this comment, please, the tangent is now over. Let's return to the topic at hand as outlined in the OP :3 — TBD

dude, it takes more than 8mins to create a funny post at half past midnight....

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Usagi-san

theblackdragon wrote:

this is Link we're talking about, he brings about as much personality to the table as a doorknob. He is intentionally written as a blank slate

I'm sick of hearing this argument to be honest, this has never been true not even as far back as the first game.
Link was never a blank slate in any of the Zelda games. In an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto for Iwata asks Miyamoto discusses how Link was a mischievous and playful character in the earlier games and
how he didn't want him to be just be another cool hero in Oot.

How could Miyamoto possibly say anything about Link's character if he was written as a "blank slate".
For what it's worth, in the same interview he also mentions how Link being a young boy influenced the creation of characters like Saria and Malon. So if anybody would like to say that Link's gender has never been an influence on the games they would be in disagreement with one of the developers for at least one of them.

Link represents the Zelda series as much as Samus represents metroid or Mario represents Nintendo. I think the comparison is apt enough, you wouldn't change the genders of either these characters so I see no reason why Link's gender should change. For the people who say that Link is reincarnated in each game and could easily be reborn as a girl, I disagree. In each game Link has maintained certain characteristics, what reason do we have to believe that it is even possible in the Zelda Universe for a character to reincarnate as a different gender? Impa hasn't, nor has Zelda.
In hyrule History Shigeru Miyamoto writes:

"Even though Ganon is defeated time and time again, he is evil incarnate and will come back time and time again, with a vengeance.
Each time, when the world is blanketed in evil, a young boy and girl will be born."
i.e Link and Zelda will be reborn to face evil.

I am not against a female protagonist in a Zelda game, I am however emphatically against changing Link, who stands next to Zelda as a constant symbol of the series, for the sake of looking "progressive".

Edited on by Usagi-san

"I never swear, my lord, I say yes or no; and, as I am a gentleman, I keep my word." - D'artagnan in Twenty Years After

SCRAPPER392

Kodeen wrote:

He's an amorphous blob with a green tunic.

Isn't that enough for a character to have feelings? Yes, this is rhetoric.

Just look at Majora's Mask. Link is going on a journey to find a friend.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Dreamz

Usagi-san wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

this is Link we're talking about, he brings about as much personality to the table as a doorknob. He is intentionally written as a blank slate

I'm sick of hearing this argument to be honest, this has never been true not even as far back as the first game.
Link was never a blank slate in any of the Zelda games. In an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto for Iwata asks Miyamoto discusses how Link was a mishievious and playful character in the earlier games and

How could Miyamoto possibly say anything about Link's character if he was written as a "blank slate".
For what it's worth, in the same interview he also mentions how Link being a young boy influenced the creation of characters like Saria and Malon. So if anybody would like to say that Link's gender has never been an influence on the games they would be in disagreement with one of the developers for at least one of them.

There's no possible way you would be saying that if you've actually played the entire series. TBD is entirely correct; Link has never shown anything resembling personality until Windwaker. And even during WW and beyond, his character doesn't extend much beyond "courageous guy who does his best."

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

SCRAPPER392

Dreamz wrote:

Usagi-san wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

Link was never a blank slate in any of the Zelda games. In an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto for Iwata asks Miyamoto discusses how Link was a mishievious and playful character in the earlier games and

There's no possible way you would be saying that if you've actually played the entire series. TBD is entirely correct; Link has never shown anything resembling personality until Windwaker. And even during WW and beyond, his character doesn't extend much beyond "courageous guy who does his best."

What about when he saves Zelda in Zelda 2? Do you think he just randomly decided to go kill Moblins, and that just so happened to save Zelda?

Qwest

Usagi-san

Dreamz wrote:

his character doesn't extend much beyond "courageous guy who does his best."

Congratulations, you just described Link's PERSONALITY.

Edited on by Usagi-san

"I never swear, my lord, I say yes or no; and, as I am a gentleman, I keep my word." - D'artagnan in Twenty Years After

Oragami

Dreamz wrote:

Usagi-san wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

Adventure of Link - It is heavily implied that Link and Zelda are somewhat romantically involved, at least by the end.
Link's Awakening - It is VERY heavily implied that Link has feelings for Marin.
Ocarina of Time - Link shows fear at the start with his nightmares (although those could just be prophecies)
Majora's Mask - Link puts himself in danger to find his friend, implied to be Navi
Oracle Games - Not much here, except Link's facial expressions during the detailed pictures show a personality of sorts.
Wind Waker - Loads of personality, as you said
Minish Cap - Link and Zelda are friends that care for each other
Twilight Princess - Link shows he cares for his fellow townspeople, as is shown several times throughout the game.
Phantom Hourglass - Just like Wind Waker, Link has loads of personality
Spirit Tracks - Same situation as Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass
Skyward Sword - Link shows emotion constantly.

I think that leaves 5 games where Link has little to no personality.

New PS4 owner
Yeah, guitars are cool.

My musical project Comet Tail made a couple of recordings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zUoWWO1v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evBddvrm2U

CaviarMeths

Usagi-san wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

I'm all for having defined characters in my games (male or female, I enjoy taking on the role of both), but "courageous and does their best" is hardly a gender-specific characterization.

That said, to play, there are specific points in the lore that point to Link being male and make a stronger argument than his personality. The titular legend has always referred to a boy when speaking of the hero. It's not like it would create a damning rift if the lore was retconned though.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

SCRAPPER392

CaviarMeths wrote:

Usagi-san wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

I'm all for having defined characters in my games (male or female, I enjoy taking on the role of both), but "courageous and does their best" is hardly a gender-specific characterization.

That said, to play, there are specific points in the lore that point to Link being male and make a stronger argument than his personality. The titular legend has always referred to a boy when speaking of the hero. It's not like it would create a damning rift if the lore was retconned though.

Or, if the lore said the hero would be a boy, then the hero actually ended up being a girl.

Qwest

Usagi-san

CaviarMeths wrote:

Usagi-san wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

The argument I have heard is that Link is just a blank slate anyway so that changing his gender wouldn't be a big deal. Establishing that Link has a personality shows that he is just as much an established character with specific traits as say Mario and has a gender that is equally immutable.

Edited on by Usagi-san

Dreamz

Usagi-san wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Usagi-san wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

The argument I have heard is that Link is just a blank slate anyway so that changing his gender wouldn't be a big deal. Establishing that Link has a personality shows that he is just as much an established character with specific traits as say Mario and has a gender that is equally immutable.

Except that it hasn't been established that he has a personality. So far we've only seen stretching examples that give one or at best two personality traits for each incarnation. A personality is made up of dozens of those. Link has never, ever show that in any incarnation.

Edited on by Dreamz

Usagi-san

Dreamz wrote:

Usagi-san wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Usagi-san wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

Except that it hasn't been established that he has a personality. So far we've only seen stretching examples that give one or at best two personality traits for each incarnation. A personality is made up of dozens of those. Link has never, ever show that in any incarnation.

You've said that it hasn't been established that Link has a personality because he doesn't have enough personality traits but you don't NEED dozens of personality traits to have a character (Who even decides on the number of personality traits a character has to have before they're officially not a blank slate anyway?).

Edited on by Usagi-san

skywake

To the people who think a story needs a female lead for it to have a progressive attitude towards women. One word....

Firefly

That is all /thread

Jazzer94

skywake wrote:

skywake wrote:

While i can appreciate the humor in this comment, please, the tangent is now over. Let's return to the topic at hand as outlined in the OP :3 — TBD

dude, it takes more than 8mins to create a funny post at half past midnight....

Don't worry I saw it and found it rather amusing/funny.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Jim_Purcell

skywake wrote:

To the people who think a story needs a female lead for it to have a progressive attitude towards women. One word....

Firefly

That is all /thread

A show with at least 4 strong females leads?

Jim_Purcell

CaviarMeths

skywake wrote:

Firefly

That is all /thread

Or anything Whedon has written, really. Few people have written Kitty Pryde as well as he did in Astonishing X-Men.

Dreamz

Usagi-san wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

You've said that it hasn't been established that Link has a personality because he doesn't have enough personality traits but you don't NEED dozens of personality traits to have a character (Who even decides on the number of personality traits a character has to have before they're officially not a blank slate anyway?).

You don't need dozens, but a single facet or two isn't nearly enough to get even a baseline for someone's personality. You're mistaking characteristics and personality traits for a fully defined personality.

Edited on by Dreamz

skywake

Jim_Purcell wrote:

Except Mal is the lead character. To the point that the other characters almost only exist to play off him. Almost.

Edited on by skywake

Jim_Purcell

skywake wrote:

Jim_Purcell wrote:

Except Mal is the lead character. To the point that the other characters almost only exist to play off him. Almost.

That's not the show I watched. Firefly has an ensemble cast of recurring characters that are all equal in their roles. Mal got a lot of the spotlight, but he's hardly 'the lead'. The whole Firefly crew is 'the lead'.

Edited on by Jim_Purcell

Jim_Purcell

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.