Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 25,621 to 25,640 of 27,917

Gridatttack

Tiers rarely matter when playing against friends (even on 1 on 1) and local tourneys. Only at big, national tournaments tiers take effect.

Of course, there's the matchup too, but thats a different story.

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

Tsuchinoko

UGXwolf wrote:

@Storytime7 Or maybe instead of playing characters because of tiers, we just olay characters we wanna play and MAKE them good? Not everyone enjoys HOO HAH, Wall of Pain, annoying your opponent to death, and Luigi's endless comboing potential.some of us prefer the all-round style of Link, the sheer power of Ganondorf, Pacman and Wario's shenanigans, or yes, even Zelda's nearly incomprehensible playstyle. Seriously, if I was forced to play only those characters you listed, I'd probably quit playing. Also, the Smash community admits nearly any character is tournament viable due to how young the meta is and how well-balanced the game appears to be in comparison to past titles. Even the weakest characters can be niche charactets. The only characters with next to no reason to be played are the weaker-of-two-clones scenarios.

@CapeSmash I return to my statement of "several is vague." I also return to my point that "fan service" could still refer to pre-ballot requests, but likely implies that the ballot charactets are the end for Smash DLC.

"Incomprehensible play style". I actually LOLed at that.

The several and fanservice comments from Sakurai are vague, even in Japanese, but the big reveal(s) are coming soon. Whatever they are I'm excited. Hopefully a certain lupine space pirate will be joining us again.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Storytime7

@KO-Cub: Nothing wrong with recommending top tier characters to someone who seems interested in the viability of their main. As for Ike, I wouldn't know how good he is now. I already decided on which characters I wanted to use way before he was buffed, and I haven't seen any good Ike players.

@UGXwolf: I wasn't saying anyone has to use those characters, I was just suggesting characters that are considered viable in competitive play. Also, not every character is good. It doesn't matter how good someone gets with a character like Ganondorf, they should never be able to beat a good Sheik player unless the character gets nerfed hard. The reasons why low tiers lose to other characters (frame data, recovery, etc) is already established before anybody picks them up. The only way you could make those characters good is through balance patches. There are some characters with gimmicks that can give them options (Pac-Man), but you can't make a character good if they don't have the potential in the first place.

Besides, most of those characters I suggested have different playstyles and give players more options than just "HOO HAH" (which was nerfed) or "Wall of Pain".

Edited on by Storytime7

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

UGXwolf

@Storytime7: I'm aware, but very, very few characters simply don't have the potential to be good. At least as far as the Smash community is concerned. Even the worst characters have niche use and the advantage of being severely underused, which of course is only helpful, if you're better with the character than expected, but can definitely give a weaker character a surprising edge.

Anyways, I'd personally suggest characters that are easier to use (Lucina, Link/Toon Link, Mario, Yoshi, etc.) rather than ones that are high tier. A starting point to figure your style out, rather than starting with something more difficult (Sheik, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Olimar, etc.) Of course, it's ultimately up to the player. (As a side note, kinda hoping Wolf is as difficult to use as he was in Brawl. The lack of Chain Grabs removes one of gis biggest weaknesses.)

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

@Jazzer94: I play Ike. He's pretty good, as long as you keep spacing in mind. Also, did you know Ike can kill Fox off the top blast zone at 0% with a partially charged up-smash, if he has full rage.

Jazzer94

@UGXwolf: Yeah I did, I play a bit of Ike just not for tournaments so basically friendlies.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Tsuchinoko

Does anyone play Duckhunt or Pac-man really well? I'm trying to get better with those two, particularly DH.

UGXwolf

I play a respectable Pacman when I get in the zone, but I wouldn't take him into a tournament with any real confidence.

Eel

I have tried using DH. I seriously can't play them at all.

I can't explain it, I just don't seem to get any KOs with them.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Pootypie

For ike i would use down throw to combo at very low percents then up throw for combos when percents rise. Then if you need to kill with a throw your down throw is actually your best bet. I find it pretty amusing how it can be a combo and a kill throw, the growth in knockback is crazy.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Joeynator3000

I love Duck Hunt...lol
It's usually just Smashes and sneaking that can up to people.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

NintendoFan64

Out of the two, I prefer Pac-Man. He's easier for me to use, and is probably my favorite newcomer.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

IceClimbers

@Tsuchinoko: I main Pac-Man. Not sure if I'd go into a tournament with it, but that's only because I tend to take a lot of breaks from playing him and for some reason I seem to get rusty faster than I do with other characters.

As far as big name players go, Abadongo mains Pac-Man. He's the best Pac player currently.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Captain_Toad

@Tsuchinoko: I play a good pac-man. Duck hunt isn't too good for getting ko's tho... for me.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

Tsuchinoko

IceClimbers wrote:

@Tsuchinoko: I main Pac-Man. Not sure if I'd go into a tournament with it, but that's only because I tend to take a lot of breaks from playing him and for some reason I seem to get rusty faster than I do with other characters.

As far as big name players go, Abadongo mains Pac-Man. He's the best Pac player currently.

Yeah I've seen a few of his videos. His technique is amazing. I don't know of any Duckhunt professionals.

They both seem like characters where the player has to be good at manipulation.

IceClimbers

@Tsuchinoko: Pretty much. This guy from Mexico plays a really good Pac-Man:

I honestly didn't think about using Pac-Man that way much. Might have to try to learn how to do some of those.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Storytime7

@UGXwolf: It's really about what a player wants out of the game. Someone looking to just play with their friends doesn't need to consider how viable a character is, and the same goes for someone who wants to master their favorite character. If someone wants to be the best player they can be, then tiers become more important because some characters limit you more than others. Diddy Kong and Mario are great choices for anyone getting into the game because they're simple to learn, and both are viable in tournaments. I use Diddy Kong, Peach, and Sheik because they all fit different aspects of my playstyle.

@Jazzer94: Thanks for the recommendation. I checked out a set Ryo played against StaticManny. He's good.

@Tsuchinoko: MVD is a good Duck Hunt player, but he mostly uses Diddy Kong.

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

Tsuchinoko

IceClimbers wrote:

I honestly didn't think about using Pac-Man that way much. Might have to try to learn how to do some of those.

¿México? ¡Mi gente! I might have to follow him.

@Storytime7: I always wish I could fill a void like that. Get super good with a character that doesn't appear in tournaments much and do at least moderately well. Lucas has started to make appearances in tournaments, but I haven't seen Duckhunt get much use. And I've used Zelda for years and it just seems like using her in a tournament would be causing myself more stress than I need (same for Mewtwo, Samus, and maybe Palutena). It would be fun to get listed in Smashwiki as a Lucas or Duckhunt professional, but I just don't have the skill, or the time to get that good.

KO-Cub

IceClimbers wrote:

And on that day, everyone starts to try these.

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic