Forums

Topic: Super Metroid

Posts 161 to 180 of 198

Rincewind77

stupidperson wrote:

Rincewind77 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm also playing Super Metroid on the Wii U and I try to get that reserve tank in the wrecked ship. But it's impossible for me

I charge the super jump, go to the very right, sit down and press jump. But then I just blocked by something invisible and falling down again... Feels like a bug in the software...

Anyone got this reserve tank and has a hint for me?

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. I think it is a glitch. But i needed the reserve tank so I actually restarted from the last save station and it worked fine after that.

It worked! You saved my day Thank you very much.

Rincewind77

Philip_J_Reed

skywake wrote:

Got what seems like all of the games tools and was getting my butt kicked by Phantoon. So backtracked and tried dropping a Smart Bomb on the water tunnel thing because I saw it on MiiVerse. Last I was playing I was getting my butt kicked by sinking sand...... which is significantly more humiliating

Get 94 exits in Super Mario World working on just childhood memory (don't know what I missed but meh, 94 is alright). Then I play Super Metroid for the first time and repeatedly pat myself on the back for solving the puzzles. Get stuck in a section with sinking sand. Just fantastic.

The sinking sand part humiliated me too because it always felt like I was JUUUUUUST about to make the jumps, so I kept trying, and wasting a lot of time. Don't bother with that part until you have the Gravity Suit / Space Jump (or whatever it is that lets you somersault again and again in the air) combo.

Phantoon was rough...I tanked a lot of hits, but if you blitz him with super missiles when you can, you should make it through eventually!

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Tasuki

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

skywake wrote:

Got what seems like all of the games tools and was getting my butt kicked by Phantoon. So backtracked and tried dropping a Smart Bomb on the water tunnel thing because I saw it on MiiVerse. Last I was playing I was getting my butt kicked by sinking sand...... which is significantly more humiliating

Get 94 exits in Super Mario World working on just childhood memory (don't know what I missed but meh, 94 is alright). Then I play Super Metroid for the first time and repeatedly pat myself on the back for solving the puzzles. Get stuck in a section with sinking sand. Just fantastic.

The sinking sand part humiliated me too because it always felt like I was JUUUUUUST about to make the jumps, so I kept trying, and wasting a lot of time. Don't bother with that part until you have the Gravity Suit / Space Jump (or whatever it is that lets you somersault again and again in the air) combo.

Phantoon was rough...I tanked a lot of hits, but if you blitz him with super missiles when you can, you should make it through eventually!

Yeah I have to admit I just brute forced my way through Phantoon with Super Missiles. Although after beating him I read a walkthrough and apparently if you use Super Missiles on him he will counter attack with a pretty devastating attack which will cause you to take unneeded damage. The walkthrough suggested using just a charge shot on him and the battle will be alot easier. Not sure if that is true or not since this is my first time playing it. Can anyone confirm that?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

bezerker99

Tasuki wrote:

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

skywake wrote:

Yeah I have to admit I just brute forced my way through Phantoon with Super Missiles. Although after beating him I read a walkthrough and apparently if you use Super Missiles on him he will counter attack with a pretty devastating attack which will cause you to take unneeded damage. The walkthrough suggested using just a charge shot on him and the battle will be alot easier. Not sure if that is true or not since this is my first time playing it. Can anyone confirm that?

Super Missiles is all I've ever used against Phantoon. It just took five, IIRC. I've never heard of him unleashing a more powerful attack if you use Super Missiles. I believe Phantoon gets stronger with more damage you inflict. Super Missiles inflict the most damage and thus he gets "rowdier" quicker than with other weapons.

skywake

skywake wrote:

[...] Last I was playing I was getting my butt kicked by sinking sand [...]

Just so nobody thinks less of me. That which is in bold is not from my mouth. I'm Australian and frankly I find the use of that word in place of it's more poetic equivalent offensive. Our friendly censor has made a grave error

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

Wow, the Gravity Suit helps a lot. Got through Phantoon after trying again, working out the pattern and doing a half decent job with full health. Not sure what I was doing wrong before. Got past with 1 and 1/2 tanks spare. Then everything opened up and it rained missile expansions. Finally gravity suit... and new area.

I'm surprised at how satisfying this game is. They really got the balance right between difficulty and reward.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Tasuki

Well finished off the Wrecked Ship and now I am starting out Miranda is it called. All I can say is I am not enjoying this area at all. So confusing and I have no idea which way to go. Going to have to take a little break and clear my head for a bit before attempting this area again.

My Backlog

Philip_J_Reed

Tasuki wrote:

Well finished off the Wrecked Ship and now I am starting out Miranda is it called. All I can say is I am not enjoying this area at all. So confusing and I have no idea which way to go. Going to have to take a little break and clear my head for a bit before attempting this area again.

Maridia confused me too...I killed the little snake miniboss there and then had no idea what to do. I'm thinking back to remember what I finally ended up doing to advance but...it's not coming to me. I think I had to go back and re-explore Brinstar or Norfair for something I missed.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Chrono_Cross

From what I remember (I haven't played Super Metroid in three years), you're supposed to stay in Maridia. An easy way to advance is to memorise your map and to reach un-explored doors. Maridia is a one stop shop. No backtracking is required to advance.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Philip_J_Reed

Yeah I might be wrong...I do remember leaving to explore elsewhere, but I don't know if that's because I missed an obvious item early on, or if I was just running in circles hoping for something to "click." That's definitely where I got significantly stuck though.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

KingDunsparce

brooks83 wrote:

Looking back, I don't think I ever did the wall jump. I beat the game too. Is that even possible? There were a few times I remember using bombs to bounce myself higher, but I really don't remember wall jumping at all...

I'm still working on that... :

"I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" ―Cave Johnson
Join the Chit-Chat Crew! :P

3DS Friend Code: 2938-6384-0441 | Nintendo Network ID: Pikminsi

Tasuki

OMG you got to be kidding me you gotta blow up the glass tube with a super bomb. Lol and here I was running around going WTF for several hours. I hate this zone I hate this zone I hate this zone. Lol

My Backlog

Chrono_Cross

Forty minutes in and I just beat Crocomire. It's been too long Sammy!

Just for you.

kkslider5552000

Honestly Maridia wasn't that confusing for me, outside of maybe one part

I find the entirety of the game between Kraid and the Wrecked Ship to be way more confusing, since you basically have to go back and forth through Norfair and east Brinstar, and it's so annoyingly backtrack-y that it doesn't feel right in such a good game. I always decide to go all the way around through Crateria to get back to west Brinstar after getting power bombs instead, to the point that I have to believe it was designed to do that as I don't just want to go back to Norfair ASAP at that point into the game, and going through most of the rest of Brinstar just leads back to Norfair anyway. I honestly feel that was intentional, especially with the animals helping you learn new stuff.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Happy_Mask

I actually felt Maridia to be the easiest, with the exception of that rather portly crayfish. I hate that thing. And I loved the Wrecked Ship area the best. Backtracking done right. :3

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

RR529

I didn't find Maridia to be confusing, but parts of it were very annoying to navigate (until you get the Space Jump). Notably the segment with the quicksand, and the areas that require expert use of the grapple beam just to move forward (especially the room with those little floating critters you have to grapple from).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Chrono_Cross

You get the space jump boots right before you fight Kraid.

You're thinking of the gravity suit.

Just for you.

Happy_Mask

@Chrono Don't you get the Space Jump in the room right next to the boss of maridia? I know that I didn't have them that early on. ._.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

Chrono_Cross

High Jump/Space Jump boots. The item that makes Samus jump higher, no?

Oh, the Space Jump. The "prototype" to the screw attack. Yes, you get that in Maridia, not the high jump boots.

Though, I'll never understand why the game doesn't hand you the screw attack while totally dismissing the high jump altogether. lol

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.

RR529

Chrono_Cross wrote:

High Jump/Space Jump boots. The item that makes Samus jump higher, no?

The Hi-Jump & Space Jump are two seperate power ups.

You get the Hi-Jump first (before you fight Kraid), and it lets you jump higher.

You get the Space Jump in Maridia, and it allows you to somersault endlessly.

As for the Gravity Suit, you recieve it after fighting Phantoon, and it allows you to move freely underwater & in lava.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.