Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 4,461 to 4,480 of 14,636

DefHalan

Octane wrote:

zool wrote:

The original reviews of Splatoon said that the single player mode was to short and maybe not good value if purchased just for the single player mode.

There has been a lot of DLC since then.

Has single player mode improved with this extra content?

There hasn't been any extra content added to the single player. However, you shouldn't buy Splatoon for the single player experience. It sure was fun, it wasn't that short. I think the single player lasted about 8 hours. But again, don't buy Splatoon for the single player mode alone.

I think Splatoon single-player + 3-pack amiibo would justify the $60 for Splatoon but then adding in the price of the amiibo and you are again looking at it not being worth it just for single-player.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

-Green-

@zool: Yeah, basically what @Octane said. The Single Player is fun, especially for a online multiplayer based game. Although it is short and Splatoon is not worth it if you're buying it for the Single Player alone.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

whodatninja

I had a Tower Control match the other day at Kelp Dome, the opponents were literally inches away from getting a Knockout at our base, but somehow we turned it around in the last minute so we got the Knockout win! It was glorious.

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

Nintendo_Ninja

Just got to level 20!

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

-Green-

@Nintendo_Ninja: Congratulations, now on August 6, you'll have 30 more levels to go. ;p

rjejr

Spoony_Tech wrote:

@zool: I personally think single player was thrown together last minute because Nintendo believes every game has to have one.

Well if it was, those guys are super talented. Thee are so many things I like about single player that haven't yet been implemented in multiplayer - wires, invisible objects, ink fountains, the octolings, sponges. The muliplayer could be so much more exciting w/ random invisible walls and open areas we needed to cross over sponges that the opposing team could shoot to shrink. And random octolings could just run around inking everybody w/ their own 3rd color. (3 team Mushroom Wars on PS3 is epic.) The sotryline may be throw away, but they put a lot into the single player, as short as it was.

2 player offfline multiplayer, now that they created the weekend before launch, that's all but worthless.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

-Green-

rjejr wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

@zool: I personally think single player was thrown together last minute because Nintendo believes every game has to have one.

Well if it was, those guys are super talented. Thee are so many things I like about single player that haven't yet been implemented in multiplayer - wires, invisible objects, ink fountains, the octolings, sponges. The muliplayer could be so much more exciting w/ random invisible walls and open areas we needed to cross over sponges that the opposing team could shoot to shrink. And random octolings could just run around inking everybody w/ their own 3rd color. (3 team Mushroom Wars on PS3 is epic.) The sotryline may be throw away, but they put a lot into the single player, as short as it was.

2 player offfline multiplayer, now that they created the weekend before launch, that's all but worthless.

They have been hinting at single player elements being used in the multiplayer and future events involving the Octolings. I will say though. Splatoon does have some fairly nice lore within it.

rjejr

@Aromaiden: Splatoon does have some fairly nice lore within it.

I got all the scrolls and read them all, but I don't think they actually sunk in as too interesting. Now I have been playing Xenoblade Chronicles the past several months, which has an unbelievable story w/ several twists and turns, so I may not have been in the right frame of mind to appreciate what was going on in Spaltoon. I play platformers for the platforming and JRPG for the story, I'm a man of simple tastes.

Oh, I would like to say, as a big fan of Spaltoon who wouldn't mind seeing it played competitively on a big stage some day (once teams get voice chat enabled), those invisible objects and sponges are better suited for the for fun" turf war" matches, not ranked. They can color in the invisible stuff and put normal bridges where the sponges are in ranked, like they do now on some of the other stages. In private you could have the option to turn "obstacles" on or off. I think they mentioned something about options in the new update next Wednesday. Ranked is stressful enough as it is, running into an invisible wall would break me.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

rjejr

jariw wrote:

So... It seems like levels above 20 will be using Splatfest scoring rules instead of coins:
Untitled

And here's how a player at max will be after the update:
Untitled

So is is that just for turf war and ranked stays the same? I was really opposed to it when I first saw it an hour ago but after thinking about it I'm OK w/ it. I mean, I don't really care anyway, I'm more interested in seeing everybody else levels than mine own. Levels was always more a measure of time played than skill anyway. And your follow up post about the aerospace made sense.

So I guess next week we'll all start at 20, everything we've done since then won't count?

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

jariw

According to NoE's tweet, the Range Blaster and Inkbrush Nouveau arrive tomorrow (later today in the US).
Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by jariw

jariw

iphys

I don't understand why this game has single player at all really except to give you something to do if your Internet goes down for a few hours. I once had a bug where the game loaded and thought I had no Internet even though the Internet browser was working perfectly, and Spyke and all the shop people treated me like some sort of leper and told me to get lost like the only thing that mattered in this game was having Internet to play multi-player. Even the local multiplayer they haven't added the new maps to as though we have no business not playing on the Internet, and there won't ever even be a way for people without Internet to get access to the on-disc extra content for those maps anyway, so it's like this game was never intended for anything except online multiplayer.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

jariw

iphys wrote:

I don't understand why this game has single player at all really except to give you something to do if your Internet goes down for a few hours.

Single player clearly can be seen as initial practice ground for multiplayer. The campaign even contains some octoling stages that are available in multiplayer. (BTW, I wonder if they will redesign the single player version as well, now that Underpass is being redesigned.) And the single player campaign contains many kinds of mechanics you don't (currently) have in multiplayer. And a fantastic final boss!!!

jariw

iphys

@PaperMario64 You'd be surprised how many people never set up home wi-fi or figure out how to get their system online even if they have wi-fi. A lot of people just buy systems for their kids and think it takes a genius to set up the Internet so don't bother or are freaked out that something bad will happen to their children if it's connected online.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

Shinion

@iphys: well you've got to remember that the initial reveal for this game was all about the online multi-player, and the single-player was only revealed at a later date. I don't think there's anything wrong with this game being clearly focused for the online side, it is what the entire game is designed around. As for the quality of the single player, I'd say it's well worth anyone's time and compliments the online game very well, it is common decency to give people something to do in an online centric game if their internet goes down or they just want a change of pace, EA quite rightly got panned for neglecting it in Titanfall, PVZGW and most recently Star Wars Battlefront. I'd say like jariw said it's worth it for that brilliant final boss alone lol.

Shinion

-Green-

I'm happy they're changing the leveling system to match Splatfest. It seems far more fair.

whodatninja

I think leaving so much single player content behind an "Amiibo wall" was a mistake. If you bought one of them to receive all the extras, that would be fine, but having to own all of them? That's a ridiculous requirement imo.

That said, I do wish I bought the Squid amiibo bundle, because you can't buy that on its own unless you import from Japan or whatever. Annoying!

Edited on by whodatninja

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

ultraraichu

jariw wrote:

ultraraichu wrote:

So does that mean "no ranked" to A+ are affected by Squid Battle? I was hoping to say off the lettering grid longer. Also I can imagine people abusing Squad Battles to increase their ranks to get up to A+.

It might not be that easy to increase the ranks that way. Squad Battles are only against other Squad Battles. Squad Battles are not against random individuals. And I doubt that many teams interested in playing for rank are interested in having unequal player skills in the team, just to "help" a bad player, since the bad player can easily drag the whole team down.

That makes more sense. In my mind I'm thinking something like getting a private room with some "friends" with half who want to rank up and the next half that don't care and they just get easy wins. Glad it's not like that, granted I would of still prefer that ranks didn't play a role in squad battles. Well I'm sure they're other who'll disagree with all their crazy matchups and hindrance they must have.

Edited on by ultraraichu

A dying animal struggles, thrashes and howls in protest as its life torn from it. To see this in action, watch Animal Planet. The same thing happens when a video game is or isn't released. To see this in action, stay here.

Switch Friend Code: Sw-6105-4873-7122 | 3DS Friend Code: 1848-1733-3257 | My Nintendo: Ultraraichu | Nintendo Network ID: ultraraichu

-Green-

@whodatninja: In my opinion, I think they handled it nicely. It seemed like a nice balance.

Spoony_Tech

I don't really think much at all is locked behind the amiibos. All it is is going over the same stuff you did with different weapons and it really doesn't unlock anything special.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic