Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 1,941 to 1,960 of 14,636

Datasun_7

Yeah like @Arronshere said you can't really compare them. You could if splatoon was just the single player segment with no planned free updates, which are instead replaced by DLC down the line. Then they would be very similar Especially as in the UK splatoon is nearly half the price that the order was at launch.

I think you can get as much fun out of splatoon as you want really, its very replayable (whereas the Order clearly isn't ).

Proud Samus main for ssb4!
Hyped for Capt. Toad, Yoshis woolly world, Mario maker and splatoon in the first half of 2015
Wii U, 3DS and PS4 owner

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1379-1446 | Nintendo Network ID: Datasun_7

UGXwolf

arronishere wrote:

^You can't compare The Order 1886 with Splatoon imo, one is a single player game which is very short of content/game length whilst the other is game designed for multiplayer with more content coming.

For the record, I think The Order 1886 is a great game. Just not one worth the full price tag. For what content it has, it shouldn't have to be longer. It tells a story and does it rather well with beautiful visuals and good-enough gameplay. I don't want it to be longer, I want it to be cheaper.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

ZuneTattooGuy

UGXwolf wrote:

arronishere wrote:

^You can't compare The Order 1886 with Splatoon imo, one is a single player game which is very short of content/game length whilst the other is game designed for multiplayer with more content coming.

For the record, I think The Order 1886 is a great game. Just not one worth the full price tag. For what content it has, it shouldn't have to be longer. It tells a story and does it rather well with beautiful visuals and good-enough gameplay. I don't want it to be longer, I want it to be cheaper.

For the record you are in a very small minority of people who think the Order 1886 isn't a giant waste of resources and hype.

Gamertag: GoingTheDist

mariovslink62

UGXwolf wrote:

Lulz. I'm just getting a kick out of people complaining about the lack of content. A five-seven-hour single player campaign with collectibles that can extend the length of the campaign is in this game, and that's not even the primary focus! That's just extra side content. If you wanted the Amiibos you'd also have three separate score cards for challenges that would likely rival or even surpass the length of the single player campaign (though I can understand people complaining about that and wouldn't really count it in with the price of the game since you need to get Amiibos to unlock it.) There's a local multiplayer option, something that shooters these days have been neglecting more and more, not to mention all the gear and equipment you can collect and use and hopefully get good with. Plus five stages for the online multiplayer that are all fun and interesting and all bring different strategies to the table AND free updates to keep you playing throughout the Summer, and you're saying this game doesn't have enough content?!?

Let me ask you this: would you be buttered, if the content they were going to patch in later was on the disc from the start and you unlocked each one by having the game for however long it would've taken them to release it in an update? Effectively it's exactly the same, but odds are that because it was on the disc from the start and not patched in later or put behind a pay wall, you wouldn't be complaining.

See how little sense this makes? You clearly don't have a problem with the price of the update equipment, as it's free, and you really can't complain about free. You don't have a problem with the waiting, since you said yourself you were willing to wait until August, if that's what it took to release the whole game at once. But that's literally the only price you have to pay for the content. It's included in the $60 price tag, you just have to wait for it, and in the meantime, you can play with the rest of the game that's already complete, and as far as we've seen, works beautifully.

Now, if the game were unpolished or buggy or the net code was pathetic and made finding matches nearly impossible (not ruling this out, yet. We won't really know until the game launches to the public.) then I could understand why people might be upset about the "lack of content" but as it stands, there's plenty of content to carry you through until they release more content. And hell, I don't see anyone complaining about Ranked Battles not being available from the start, even though that's essentially the exact same thing as the update content: you have to wait for it after buying the game.

Look, if you still don't think the game is worth the money, even when taking the update content into account, then fine. Don't get it. Just don't expect that it'll be any cheaper in August when you do finally decide it has enough content. The only difference between those of you that waited and those of us that didn't is that those of us that didn't wait will have been playing the game all Summer.

Congrats. You passed.
All of my posts were somewhat clickbait. You succeeded if you proved the game has enough content, or if you were respectful to somebody else's opinion. I'll just leave you with this.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy0Bvu7vy9I

DERP

Nintendo Network ID: awesomeface2149

Grumblevolcano

@UGXwolf I think the problem is that Splatoon's content is very lacking when you compare to a typical shooter which is a fair comparison to make. Note here that I'm not talking about remaster collections like MCC but rather individual games.

Lets take Black Ops 2 for example, the single player campaign is about the same length as Splatoon and in both games you have collectables to find that unlock special things you can view. In addition, Black Ops 2 has a sense of non-linearity so doing certain things in levels unlock different levels and the ending changes, Strike Missions also mix up the playstyle from the standard shooter.

Then with multiplayer there is 5 multiplayer maps and 1 mode in Splatoon with updates until August when the complete game will exist. In contrast, Black Ops 2 has 14 maps at launch along with several different modes (don't know how many but it's much more than 1) but it doesn't stop there because a co-op experience exists in the form of Zombies which are on completely different maps to the other parts of the game. Finally, there are paid DLC packs (£35 season pass for everything) with new multiplayer maps and zombies content of which the equivalent for Splatoon is free DLC maps and £60 for a bunch of amiibo challenges (amiibo are technically physical DLC).

I'm not saying Black Ops 2 is the better game because I'd be lying but rather that the amount of content in Splatoon is measly compared to it.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

LaserdiscGal

You can't compare this to Black Ops 2, compare it to Garden Warfare as they are similar in style and execution (limited content at launch, new maps added every so often [along with gamemodes]).

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

rjejr

Smash_kirby wrote:

extended content delivery.

Ooh, I like that. I've been calling it "Splatoon: Summer Subscription Service" for the alliteration, but yours sounds much more professional.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

ZuneTattooGuy

@UGXWOLF
Let's compare something else:
Call of Duty Black Ops 2 was the Ninth game in a long running series
Splatoon is Nintendo's first entry in the series and genre

The $35 3 pack Splatoon Amiibos give you bonus clothing options and aren't really required to fully enjoy the game

Call of Duty has a season pass where they gave you a few more maps
Splatoon is going to get free DLC for the foreseeable future

Black Ops 2 got dropped for any future DLC when the next annual release occurred (Ghost)
Nintendo is run by a bunch of "Let's poop this out quick and often" bunch and will support Splatoon again for the foreseeable future.

I agree with @Tommy_Wiseau the best game to compare Splatoon to is Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare. It was a meager game that had a lot of spirit, originality, and a visual style that couldn't be matched, yet they supported the hell out of it with free additional content and neat cross promotional stuff.

Edited on by Eel

rjejr

@UGXwolf - I like everything you said, but I'll nitpick this part -

"for however long it would've taken them to release it in an update?"

I would much prefer we got everything on disc at the beginning b/c I don't trust Ntinedo to comprehend a calendar. Remember that vid about "50 things in SSBU"? Remember the part about the Miiverse level and the tournaments? The game has been out for 6 months but we still haven't received those. So when Nitneod says "August" I think "October".

So we are buying a $60 game that's being disseminated like a Travelers Tales episodic set, but we have to pay for all the pieces up front. If Ntineod keeps things flowing all summer like they say, that's fine. But if they fall behind schedule what recourse do we have?

I'm buying it tomorrow but w/ all of my fingers and toes tightly crossed.

And they aren't helping their case AT ALL by charging $60 in the US and the equivalent of $40 in the EU and UK. Almost all of the people complaining about the parts are in the US doing so in part b/c the US seems to be getting screwed w/ a 50% mark-up on the price. If the US was $40 or everywhere else was the equivalent of $60 there would be a less complaining, so Nitneod has only themselves to blame in that regard.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

jariw

Why is it important to compare Splatoon maps with traditional FPS/TPS maps? Maps are not the purpose of the Splatoon gameplay. For every shot with a paint gun or any movement with a roller in Splatoon, the map changes. Sure, there choke points and strategic places for chargers and so on, but the map is a constant evolving thing that's unique for each second of a match. In a traditional FPS/TPS, you have the map, basically.

jariw

erv

jariw wrote:

Why is it important to compare Splatoon maps with traditional FPS/TPS maps? Maps are not the purpose of the Splatoon gameplay. For every shot with a paint gun or any movement with a roller in Splatoon, the map changes. Sure, there choke points and strategic places for chargers and so on, but the map is a constant evolving thing that's unique for each second of a match. In a traditional FPS/TPS, you have the map, basically.

This. This is a different type of game. A whole lot different. Why not take it for what it is?

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

UGXwolf

rjejr wrote:

@UGXwolf - I like everything you said, but I'll nitpick this part -

"for however long it would've taken them to release it in an update?"

I would much prefer we got everything on disc at the beginning b/c I don't trust Ntinedo to comprehend a calendar. Remember that vid about "50 things in SSBU"? Remember the part about the Miiverse level and the tournaments? The game has been out for 6 months but we still haven't received those. So when Nitneod says "August" I think "October".

So we are buying a $60 game that's being disseminated like a Travelers Tales episodic set, but we have to pay for all the pieces up front. If Ntineod keeps things flowing all summer like they say, that's fine. But if they fall behind schedule what recourse do we have?

I'm buying it tomorrow but w/ all of my fingers and toes tightly crossed.

And they aren't helping their case AT ALL by charging $60 in the US and the equivalent of $40 in the EU and UK. Almost all of the people complaining about the parts are in the US doing so in part b/c the US seems to be getting screwed w/ a 50% mark-up on the price. If the US was $40 or everywhere else was the equivalent of $60 there would be a less complaining, so Nitneod has only themselves to blame in that regard.

True, I have been assuming Nintendo keeps a tight schedule, which is possibly the most legitimate concern you could have for Nintendo doing just about anything. glances at the LoZ series delay rate However, the content isn't going to be ready any sooner either way. You'll end up waiting just as long if it's in a patch as you would if it was released in the full game. The way I see it, they're letting us play what's ready with the promise of more to come as it's completed, but they made sure the game was at least closed off before putting it out there.

As for the people talking about there only being five maps, I would normally be inclined to agree and say that this is a legitimate problem with the game feeling thin, but remember that only two of those maps are available at a time for online, and the game selects at random which one you go to. (Was it each day or each week?) If you actually chose the battlefield, five wouldn't be nearly enough, but because you're very limited on how much you can see at a time, five winds up not feeling like it's so thin. Well, until you take it out and scrutinize it.

Of course, as I've already stated, the updates were basically included with the price of the game, and going off the Splatoon Direct, it appears there will be at least five update maps, which if they're put out with any kind of speed, we'll be enjoying before we even realize they were missing. (Especially if it takes a week to change stages.)

jariw

Joshua179 wrote:

Playing thru the single player mode at the moment just to see what it is like and it's pretty good, it's not your full blown adventure but it makes me wish they did more with it. There's some cool mechanics like zip lines and turrets, makes me wonder if we will see them in future online maps

That's probably what's going to happen. Including online maps at the start with things that would the spoil the single player experience for everyone wouldn't be so good.

jariw

ZuneTattooGuy

mariovslink62 wrote:

HA HA! I knew it. I knew it. I knew it. When I made my comment I knew a lot of people would just call me out for having an opinion. I am having a self-debate if delaying the game would be good or bad, but congrats to the people who could respect what I said.

Splatoon does remind me of The Order 1886. Both are fun games to play, but lack content. I don't hate Splatoon, but it sucks that there won't be much for me to do and if I want the full game, I gotta wait till August. Nintendo will always have a special place in my heart, but I'm not loyal to them. As a consumer, my job is to find the best job at the lowest price. Nintendo doesn't pay any of you to damage control them. You can call me a hater but I don't care.

You obviously care a little bit

Edited on by ZuneTattooGuy

UGXwolf

jariw wrote:

Joshua179 wrote:

Playing thru the single player mode at the moment just to see what it is like and it's pretty good, it's not your full blown adventure but it makes me wish they did more with it. There's some cool mechanics like zip lines and turrets, makes me wonder if we will see them in future online maps

That's probably what's going to happen. Including online maps at the start with things that would the spoil the single player experience for everyone wouldn't be so good.

Wait a second! What if... what if the invisible platforms are already integrated into Saltspray Rig and we just haven't found them, yet?

rjejr

jariw wrote:

Why is it important to compare Splatoon maps with traditional FPS/TPS maps?

B/c people are still trying to justify the cost (mostly in the US), either for or against, mostly against, and comparing the # of maps is one very easy way to do so, even if it isn't an exact match. 5 maps for $60 doesn't sound like a lot. 2 maps every 4 hours is even worse.

And speaking of comparisons, @Grumblevolcano said we only get 1 mode at launch - turf war - but the NL review (and another at Trusted Reviews, which I don't trust) said we also get "splat zone" - "Ranked Battle, at launch, only consists of one game mode called Splat Zones". I think we'll need to reach level 10 to play it but that still puts it at launch as it should only take a few hours to reach level 10.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

DoctorOverbuild

In my opinion, I don't mind the lack of content due to the face I love turf wars and I can play it for hours! The fact there's dlc coming is good but even better is that it's free sure some of it could've been in the game but at least now we have something too keep the game fresh and look forward to for a while!

My youtube channel for all your Nintendo News needs! - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIh04YEpt3b-z_sVY5YrZDA
The Fire Emblem Hype Is Always Strong!!!
NNID : DoctorOverbuild
3ds Friend Code : 5456 - 0350 - 6896

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0350-6896 | Nintendo Network ID: DoctorOverbuild | Twitter:

ZuneTattooGuy

With all these complaining Trolls in the Splatoon forum makes me that much happier I don't have to voice chat with any of them

DoctorOverbuild

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

With all these complaining Trolls in the Splatoon forum makes me that much happier I don't have to voice chat with any of them

Yep very true! one thing I would kinda like is to be able to talk to friends when the update comes out in August.

My youtube channel for all your Nintendo News needs! - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIh04YEpt3b-z_sVY5YrZDA
The Fire Emblem Hype Is Always Strong!!!
NNID : DoctorOverbuild
3ds Friend Code : 5456 - 0350 - 6896

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0350-6896 | Nintendo Network ID: DoctorOverbuild | Twitter:

ZuneTattooGuy

I think the Mario Kart idea would work talk between matches

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic