Forums

Topic: New Update is out; Version 5.0.0; adds quick start menu and more

Posts 21 to 31 of 31

Gamecubed

Kodeen wrote:

@yokokazuo @Gamecubed

How can I do that? When I try to disable standby functions it wants to disable the quick start menu. I should clarify that I don't really care about alerts, but I do want to prevent the console from auto-updating the firmware. I didn't really see how to do that.

Go to System Settings. Then to Power Settings. Then to Quick Start Menu. Then Wii U Gamepad Alerts. Select 'no".
Then you won't get any more alerts.

I just tried to disable my Standby Functions as well, and I got a similar message about it also disabling my quick start menu. So I don't know what to say about that one. I don't care if it updates while the system is off, I'm fine with it. But does anyone else have any ideas?

Gamecubed

retired_account

I'm really digging this. Love how hitting the home button brings up the QS menu instantly and you can just jump right into a game. It's especially nice if you have a big library of digital games. (Which I do.)

retired_account

skywake

My only problem with it is because of all the "non-gaming" stuff I've been doing while playing almost nothing but Mario Kart 8 I get all these random apps on it. System Settings, Friends List, MiiVerse, Statistics, Internet Browser, eShop, Downloads. I don't need quick access to those things. It should exclude most if not all of those basic system apps.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jariw

Kodeen wrote:

Here's another good one. When you boot up the quick start menu and click on the button to go to the full Wii U menu, it does not take you to the Wii U menu. Instead it takes you a screen saying "from here you can go to the Wii U menu." Um, yeah, that's why I clicked that. Then you hit the button again and you're in.

At first I thought this was just a one-time tutorial, but no, you see that 'tutorial' page every single time. Does Nintendo not understand UI design, or what's ... What's going on here?

It's a safety question, similar to "Are you sure want to do that? Yes/No". At least the new button is at the same spot, so it just to rehit again. The quick start is quick, getting out of the quick start isn't that quick.

jariw

Big_L91

i wish we could have it so the notification ringtone goes off when a friend messages us on miiverse too. would make setting up kart races easier instead of using my phone.

put it on.

Dizzy_Boy

The Logs app has been updated too.
The start screen has changed slightly, the lay out is a little different, and you can check the logs of other profiles on your WiiU.

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

Mickey

YES, thank you, Nintendo! ^_^ Games have been moving away from the simple "put the game in, press the power button, play games" idea for far too long, so, to see Nintendo actually taking steps to go back to that? Awesome. Just pure awesome.

Sorry to hear it's not working for some people, though.

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

Hy8ogen

Turnip wrote:

To be completely honest, I don't really understand the point of the Quick Start Menu.

I hope you're joking. If you're not, let me tell you why quick start menu is such a big deal. Instead of waiting 1 whole minute to access the game, we can now get into the action in 20 seconds.

However if you're a physical person (like me), then yeah this quick start menu is not that big of a deal since you need to change disc anyways. But I do play a lot of VC games, so to me the quick start menu is awesome.

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

Shirma_Akayaku

Miss_Dark wrote:

the quick start menu = GREAT saves soo much time lol

Not as much for me since I decided to require a password when about to use a title. I put it so my siblings won't get to play whenever they feel like it. They'll have to ask me instead.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

Sean_Aaron

dizzy_boy wrote:

The Logs app has been updated too.
The start screen has changed slightly, the lay out is a little different, and you can check the logs of other profiles on your WiiU.

I never used it before, but given my daughter's penchant for getting up an hour before me it's nice to be able to keep tabs on how much she's playing when I'm asleep. I think more parental options like being able to set a timer on play to say, enforce a break after an hour, would be great.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.