Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker - OT

Posts 4,621 to 4,640 of 4,835

Freeon-Leon

FIrst, I have to say this update is AMAZING! I hope I can make great levels with all the nice additions. Anyway...

@Detective_TeeJay: Both levels are fun! I feel like they're both still a little rough around the edges, but fun nonetheless. Starred!

@jamesRainbowBoy: I liked it! It's a nice level, short but fun. You know, maybe I'd add another couple of pink coins so the secret doesn't feel like it's just there because of the new update. Other than that, good level!

@DreamyViridi: I like how you used the pillars in Spike Pillars a-Plenty, it was very nice and the pink coins added that risk-reward factor of traditional Mario levels. i found your fort level a little too long for its own good, I think the concept is great, it just could have had a better execution though.

Oh and if you feel like playing a decent level, check out my newest level Bowser's Frosty Fortress!

Edited on by Freeon-Leon

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

Maxz

Does anyone have any tips on how to use Pink Coins like Red Coins in the normal Mario games? As in, as a sort of optional mini-challenge that comes with a min-reward? Currently, the main use seems to be along the lines of 'here's a door you need to get through, so you NEED to get all the coins', whereas in the main Mario games it's more like, 'fancy a challenge? Do some slightly riskier platforming and get a power-up!'.

I guess you could just hide a power-up behind a Key-Door, but that seems like lot of work just to pick up an item...

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

DreamyViridi

@Maxz: Well, I use the Pink Coins as Star Coins with the reward for getting all of them being an easier time towards the level's end (You found all of the Pink Coins! Have a star before the boss.).

If I wanted to use them as Red Coins; I'd relegate them and the key door strictly to a bonus area. Maybe the key door could lead to a "rare" item; like the level only provides Mushrooms but the Key door provides a Fire Flower. But that's just one example I can think of.

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Maxz

@DreamyViridi: That sounds like a good idea. I once hid a music level in one of my main levels once, and I was thinking that that might make a nice 'bonus' for people (although it'd be quite a lot of work) as a reward for doing collecting.

I'm really happy with the inclusion of Pink Coins though. I always found Red Coins a really fun little diversion in the main games, and up until now, collecting ANY coins in Mario Maker has been a largely pointless activity. I think they're a clever addition, and I can't wait to see what people make with them.

I really hope I've got time to play the game soon, but making levels is such a time-suck!

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Freeon-Leon

@Maxz: I plan to make a level using pink coins as a reward for more exploration. I haven't it started yet but I'll let you know when it's done. Btw, something I think it's very important is giving the player a sneak peek of the reward, so they feel more encouraged to look for the coins. Just my two cents.

DreamyViridi

@Maxz: I know what you mean. Making levels (or rather actually putting effort and thought into them) can take ages. It took me a whole day to make "Fort of the 4 Key Holders" and that was just the layout of it. When the update arrived, I did so many tweaks.

You have no idea how many times I play test my levels when they're supposed to be finished and then say "Actually, let's move that block over a couple spaces over..."

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Dizzy_Boy

Something I noticed, while I was adding in stuff on a level that I'm making, a notification popped up saying "player has set a world record on your level". I haven't noticed that one before, maybe this was added in the recent update, or I could be wrong and not noticed this before.

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

Freeon-Leon

@DreamyViridi: Haha, I guess you'd be surprised by how much time I put in my levels. That's the reason I've only uploaded 9 levels (2 of those are remakes), and also that's the reason I have 700 stars

Maxz

@DreamyViridi: @Freeon-Leon: I think I can imagine. They say starting something is the hardest part, but I think finishing is just as hard (but in a completely different way) - it's like the opposite of writer's block. I think I normally spend longer on a level AFTER it's 'finished' than all the time leading up to it.

I think you can normally see, or at least 'feel' the difference in a level that someone been obsessive over though, even if most of the changes they've made are subtle. I guess the fact of the matter is simply that making good levels is just... a really hard thing to do. Even after you've made something you're proud of, after playing it back a day or two later you normally notice a load of things you want to add or edit. And then the 'finished' level gets taken down again and the cycle continues. I think I've only made one level that I've remained 100% happy with after uploading it the first time.

It was kind of easier at the beginning of the game, and the novelty of all the gimmicks and possibilities was enough to keep people entertained. Now level making is a serious business.

Anyway, I'll bookmark the fort level, and who knows, I might even be able to play it before too long.

Oh, and Freeon, you should probably update your the Mario Maker link in your signature. It still uses the old NL Portal. It would be good to access your Bookmark page from there.

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

edgedino

since everyone has moved to this one here is my newest level in a really long time
D301-0000-01EE-CCB3 key challenges and takes advantage of the new additions namely just key's, please let me know what you think.

my Super Mario Maker bookmark page https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/edgedino?type=posted

Blue_Blur

My first time playing Mario Maker since the update released, and it's a lot better! I love the failure point mode! I always hated it if someone died in the sub part of your level; you were unable to see where they died... glad that's fixed now! The pink key coins are also a great addition!

I made a new underwater level, and called it "Shell Surfing".

Feel free to try it and leave feedback!
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/4AF9-000...

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

NintendoMLG

The key update (1.40) is already here, which is so exciting. Please put in what you think should be in the 1.50 update.
I think these should be in 1.50:
Luigi playable
When the course starts, you can choose to play as Mario or Luigi. Even in the course editor.
Game themes
Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 1/2/3 (SNES) and Super Mario Advance 1/2/4
Course themes
Athletic, Forest, Desert, Mountain, Snow, Night, Volcano and Tower
Course elements
Ice Clown Car, Boomerang/Fire/Ice Bro, Putting 2 mushrooms on enemies, More than 2 areas in levels
and placeable water/lava (castle)/purple liquid (forest)/air (underwater)
Powerups
Ice Flower, Poison mushroom, Mini mushroom, Prnguin suit, Mega mushroom, Star coin, e.t.c.

NintendoMLG

Rexcalibr

I just played the Event Course, Mary O's Luck Break, which was so much fun. I haven't played this game in so long I forgot how fun it can be. I'm too impatient to make levels nowadays but I'll play some of your guys levels. I haven't played anything with the new updates so I'm excited to try them.

edgedino wrote:

since everyone has moved to this one here is my newest level in a really long time
D301-0000-01EE-CCB3 key challenges and takes advantage of the new additions namely just key's, please let me know what you think.

I played it about 10-12 times and couldn't beat it. The farthest I got was the maze where the fire flowers were. I really thought the introduction with Boswer in a block protected by skewer spikes was cool. I'm just not good enough to beat this level though or there is something I'm not understanding.

Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

Top top pics for next DLC, if it happens, I doubt it.

• shake Bowser Jr. to turn him into one of the koopalings, even if they behave the same.
  • pokeys, chargin chuck and baseball chucks.
  • winter and desert themes.

Overall though, they've done a lot. I don't expect many updates aside from new costumes....

Rexcalibr

chvage

Soooo I've made two new levels where I incorporated some of the newer mechanics:

Captain Toad: Cave Explorer
2FCD-000-01F5-B9F9
(I think this is my best level yet; you have the choice of beating it with or without collecting all the four red (or pink, if you insist) coins. Features, of course, Captain Toad, and I think I achieved a pretty good design on this one, utilizing a lot of different mechanics in order to make your way through the level. Straightforward without really looking like it.)

Mario and the Sunken City
92D1-0000-01EF-D6AE
(This is more of a visual level, requiring you to find the five coins in order to reach the exit. It's pretty though!)

Cheers people!

chvage

blaisedinsd

The search function on the bookmark site kind of stink.

I want to be able to look up a user or a course and bookmark it for later in game. Would be nice if there was an easy way to bookmark posters courses

SW-7087-5868-6390

Freeon-Leon

@Blue_Blur: Shell Surfing is great! I liked the challenge and how fun it was. The aesthetics were very clean too. A well deserved star

@Undead_terror: Great level too. I've played some of your levels before and I must say I wasn't their biggest fan, but I liked this one, fun and simple. The fact that you just used 3 pink coins at the beginning was a nice touch.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.