Topic: Is the Wii U a failure?

Posts 281 to 300 of 460

shaneoh

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

co-op doesn't work well with platforming anyway"

I'm still convinced you want to give Toad a gun

You do remember how the new thing with NSMBWii (phonetic) was harassing your teammates and jumping off of their heads, pushing them down into pits, etc. That's what 3D World is from the gameplay I've seen of it, if less obnoxious because there is more space to maneuver on a 3D plane.

Yeah and I remember myself and friends beating each other up in streets of rage for stealing each other's power up. So what? People are d#$ks to each other.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

You do remember how the new thing with NSMBWii (phonetic) was harassing your teammates and jumping off of their heads, pushing them down into pits, etc. That's what 3D World is from the gameplay I've seen of it, if less obnoxious because there is more space to maneuver on a 3D plane.

It's not like that but then again how would you know? You haven't played it.

I also have never played Ni-sum-bu-wii coop because I've no coop friends within reach. That doesn't mean I don't understand it because obviously, I have a brain in the information age and am not a turtle. That helps me understand things, while you seem to be taking a very long time to understand the simple concept of abstract, conceptual thought. Probably caused by the neglect of abstract, conceptual thought.

shaneoh wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Yeah and I remember myself and friends beating each other up in streets of rage for stealing each other's power up. So what? People are d#$ks to each other.

My point being that we shouldn't necessarily ridicule BoltStrike's salient point about coop platforming being a sloppy affair. It is, in fact, the design of those games to be sloppy; annoying, even. Remember the part where characters who go offscreen or press a button in 3D world enter bubbles? That tells you all you need to know.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Except as someone who has actually played this game in a large group setting with a full 4-players, this isn't the case at all. It only gets antagonistic when the players decide to get antagonistic. Unlike NSMB where it was very VERY difficult to avoid doing so. Even in U where they allow the players more room and ability to spread out, the fact still remains that it's rather difficult not to come across as trollish in that game, even when you weren't intending to annoy anyone. The NSMB games have proven to be little more than a party-type distraction in a group, only worth completing solo. Meanwhile, 3D World never really spouted this problem unless someone intentionally decides to become the villain.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Except as someone who has actually played this game in a large group setting with a full 4-players, this isn't the case at all. It only gets antagonistic when the players decide to get antagonistic. Unlike NSMB where it was very VERY difficult to avoid doing so. Even in U where they allow the players more room and ability to spread out, the fact still remains that it's rather difficult not to come across as trollish in that game, even when you weren't intending to annoy anyone. The NSMB games have proven to be little more than a party-type distraction in a group, only worth completing solo. Meanwhile, 3D World never really spouted this problem unless someone intentionally decides to become the villain.

Notice how we say the same thing despite differing experience? Let's plays sure are great, watch a few levels and you understand what that game is about under conditions of consistency (90% of video games.)

And you just know the whole crown and race to the flagpole mechanics were designed with the infighting in mind.

Edited on by Haru17

UGXwolf

@Bolt_Strike I'm not gonna bother rebutting most of your argument because frankly I'm getting tired of hearing it. I will, however, argue that your comparison to reviews is not entirely valid. I'm talking about subtle things you won't notice at a glance that won't change the entire game 100%, but will definitely cause a noticeable difference when you actually play the game. That's not information you need to know if the game is worth your time or not. You can generally tell if you're going to enjoy the game or not, especially if there are games to closely compare it to, but even if the gameplay is such a key component of the game, there IS such a thing as a demo or even just playing it at a friends house. Not always an option, but let's take Splatoon for example. I wasn't enthused about that game, at first. It looked interesting, sure, but it didn't appear to be the kind of game I'd drop $60 on the first week. As news came out, it became obvious the weak levels of single-player content were going to get to me, so I set it low on my list of games I need to get. And then the Global Testfire happened. I played the game, loved it, and now I'm going to pick it up Day 1 if my wallet can manage.

Also, the reason I didn't mention Prime 3 is because Prime 3 didn't matter in the grand scheme. It ranked #43 on that list I gave you. I assure you there aren't many people thinking of Prime 3 when they judge the Wii in hindsight. Meanwhile, people are pretty happy with all those games I just listed. Funny that. (Seriously, though, Prime 3 didn't even beat Mario Sports Mix. MARIO SPORTS MIX.) And if you're still insistent upon including Prime 3, that's still easily countered with Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, or Splatoon. All of which are either new or did new things.

Haru17

Prime 3's so good, tho! It's like the Twilight Princess of Metroid games =P It's low sales numbers are a pox upon gaming. Anti-female protag nonsense.

Edited on by Haru17

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

Prime 3's so good, tho! It's like the Twilight Princess of Metroid games =P It's low sales numbers are a pox upon gaming. Anti female prot nonsense.

Good =/= Interesting =/= Influencial =/= Good

The interesting part isn't entirely relevant to your comment, so much as saying, it may be a good game (haven't played it, yet. Don't know), but that doesn't make it relevant to retrospect on the console, nor does it have an effect on how "creative" the console is viewed as being. And if you argue that it doesn't take away from how creative the offerings were, I can easily counter with any number of the creative low-tier games that are on the Wii U, yet get completely ignored as if Nintendoland, 3D World, Mario Kart, and Smash are the only games on the console. (And Splatoon, but that's not out, yet.)

shaneoh

Haru17 wrote:

skywake wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I also have never played Ni-sum-bu-wii coop because I've no coop friends within reach. That doesn't mean I don't understand it because obviously, I have a brain in the information age and am not a turtle. That helps me understand things, while you seem to be taking a very long time to understand the simple concept of abstract, conceptual thought. Probably caused by the neglect of abstract, conceptual thought.

shaneoh wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

My point being that we shouldn't necessarily ridicule BoltStrike's salient point about coop platforming being a sloppy affair. It is, in fact, the design of those games to be sloppy; annoying, even. Remember the part where characters who go offscreen or press a button in 3D world enter bubbles? That tells you all you need to know.

Remember when your team mates take larger portions of the loot/resources than is fair? Remember when your teammates deliberately inhibit your freedom of movement? Remember when your teammates hack, exploit glitches, or are just intent on screwing around? Boltstrike's point should be ridiculed because, being a pr#$k to your teammates isn't limited to platformers and isn't nearly as important as you make it out to be.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Prime 3's so good, tho! It's like the Twilight Princess of Metroid games =P It's low sales numbers are a pox upon gaming. Anti female prot nonsense.

Good =/= Interesting =/= Influencial =/= Good

The interesting part isn't entirely relevant to your comment, so much as saying, it may be a good game (haven't played it, yet. Don't know), but that doesn't make it relevant to retrospect on the console, nor does it have an effect on how "creative" the console is viewed as being. And if you argue that it doesn't take away from how creative the offerings were, I can easily counter with any number of the creative low-tier games that are on the Wii U, yet get completely ignored as if Nintendoland, 3D World, Mario Kart, and Smash are the only games on the console. (And Splatoon, but that's not out, yet.)

I'm not really comparing it to whatever Wii U stuffs. But how about innovation? It's the first big AAA motion-controlled FPS adventure. That's pretty impressive, in my book. So much so that they went back and applied it to the other 2 Prime games.

Haru17

shaneoh wrote:

Remember when your team mates take larger portions of the loot/resources than is fair? Remember when your teammates deliberately inhibit your freedom of movement? Remember when your teammates hack, exploit glitches, or are just intent on screwing around? Boltstrike's point should be ridiculed because, being a pr#$k to your teammates isn't limited to platformers and isn't nearly as important as you make it out to be.

Then why's the crown there? Lol.

shaneoh

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Why turn off friendly fire?

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

skywake wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

So you've never played New SMB Wii co-op, you don't own a Wii U... and you're lecturing us on how the co-op in New SMB Wii compares to 3D World.
Untitled

Universal truth of the internet. The loudest people are the ones who know the least. You're being pretty damn loud

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

erv

lol

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

The game encourages it, but that doesn't mean the players have to do it. I only see the crown cause antagonistic attitudes when players were looking for an excuse to be jerks. If anything, it's good because it focuses the punishment on the player that's most likely the best one in the group, making it harder for them, but not for the other players. And for the groups that aren't hell-bent on screwing each other off the cliff, 3D World allows for a less claustrophobic, klutzy gameplay style. There are a few levels this doesn't apply to (especially the one with the jump-switching platforms), but to the majority of them, the problems that plagued NSMB are no longer there. Most importantly, the fact that you basically HAD to play solo. While in 3D World, I've actually seen Multiplayer makes certain levels more manageable. (Champion's Road most notably.)

Haru17

Mario, or as it is more colloquially known, 'Super Mario Bros.' (brothers) is an incredibly complex and intricate beast. You see, you jump. Sometimes you even jump on things. Sometimes the things are enemies, but sometimes they are other players. When you jump on other players -and do try to follow me here- they are adversely affected. Some of the affected may develop what they term as 'beef' with those that jump upon them. Now, we have detected no increased levels of protein nor bos taurus DNA or RNA within the players citing 'beef,' but we have seen an increase in aggression patterns.

Further study is required, as well as the application of NASA's research grants. After all, Nintendo games are rocket science.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

The game encourages it, but that doesn't mean the players have to do it. I only see the crown cause antagonistic attitudes when players were looking for an excuse to be jerks. If anything, it's good because it focuses the punishment on the player that's most likely the best one in the group, making it harder for them, but not for the other players. And for the groups that aren't hell-bent on screwing each other off the cliff, 3D World allows for a less claustrophobic, klutzy gameplay style. There are a few levels this doesn't apply to (especially the one with the jump-switching platforms), but to the majority of them, the problems that plagued NSMB are no longer there. Most importantly, the fact that you basically HAD to play solo. While in 3D World, I've actually seen Multiplayer makes certain levels more manageable. (Champion's Road most notably.)

Yes... I agreed with you several posts back. 3D World can be clumsy and chaotic with other players if certain conditions are met. Do we agree now?

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Yes... I agreed with you several posts back. 3D World can be clumsy and chaotic with other players if certain conditions are met. Do we agree now?

We apparently have a habit of saying the same thing in different ways that make it sound like we're not agreeing.

shaneoh

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

I don't believe the intent is to deliberately encourage backstabbing, rather reward the most skilled player.

Haru17 wrote:

Mario, or as it is more colloquially known, 'Super Mario Bros.' (brothers) is an incredibly complex and intricate beast. You see, you jump. Sometimes you even jump on things. Sometimes the things are enemies, but sometimes they are other players. When you jump on other players -and do try to follow me here- they are adversely affected. Some of the affected may develop what they term as 'beef' with those that jump upon them. Now, we have detected no increased levels of protein nor bos taurus DNA or RNA within the players citing 'beef,' but we have seen an increase in aggression patterns.

Further study is required, as well as the application of NASA's research grants. After all, Nintendo games are rocket science.

Someone deliberately flashbangs me, I flashbang them back. They start shooting up the team, I shoot back. Jumping on another player doesn't always result in an adverse effect, when playing co-op, we've frequently used it to give the jumper a boost to a higher platform. "Beef" is easily developed in any team game where you can negatively affect your team mates. As I said, being a b@$^@d is not exclusive to platformers, it's not even exclusive to video games.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

We apparently have a habit of saying the same thing in different ways that make it sound like we're not agreeing.

We do XD.

shaneoh wrote:

I don't believe the intent is to deliberately encourage backstabbing, rather reward the most skilled player.

But I mean, certain elements certainly are; the shared life pool, the cooperation for the single screen. Those feed into competition and screwing people over hilariously.

baron123

No,i don't think so,i think it is a good way to help people in the future..

baron123

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.