Forums

Topic: Is the Wii to Wii U transfer worth it?

Posts 41 to 57 of 57

ajamison

The SD card slot in the Wii U is used for the transfer and backing up save information, Primarily though I believe its there to facilitate the Wii menu part. In other words you can save your Wii Game saves to it similarly to how you did on the Wii.

ajamison

Twitter:

PloXyZeRO

dumedum wrote:

Is the SD card slot for the Wii U just for the transfer? They made the SD card so you can transfer the Wii stuff? Is there any other purpose to it?

No, you can use it for save data and VC games in Wii mode. You can also use it as memory on the Wii U, but you need a USB adapter for that, so I guess that's technically not the SD card slot.

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter:

SphericalCrusher

Absolutely. You can always get the USB GameCube adapter to use for your WiiU also, which is what I've done for Smash Bros, etc. I bought over 40 Virtual Console/Wii Ware titles on my Wii, so importing them into WiiU on larger hard drive was a necessity.

Twitch.tv/SphericalCrusher

3DS Friend Code: 1118-0223-8931 | Nintendo Network ID: SphericalCrusher | Twitter:

RollingFishays

DefHalan wrote:

luke17 wrote:

When you say "transfer your basic info" do you mean do a system transfer with no games involved, but then go re-download?

Yea that is what I did

I'm a bit confused by this, does this allow you to keep the games on the wii and just transfer over the proof that you've bought them so you can download them on the wii u?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88mph you're gonna see some serious sh*t.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3289-6865

Geno15

Is there any channels that dont work like snes channels or the n64 channels I have tons of those

Geno15

faint

the only games that wont transfer are lost winds and the space invaders remake on wiiware

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

Sean_Aaron

faint wrote:

the only games that wont transfer are lost winds and the space invaders remake on wiiware

You mean Space Invaders Get Even? It transferred on my system - admittedly I haven't played it since, but it's definitely on my SD card and in the SD menu on the Wii Channel.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Wano_Ryuuma

Hey guys sorry for bringing up such a older topic, but what a i want to ask is with the shutting down fo the Wii Shop Chanel, it's stiil a good thing to do the tranfer for the Wii U.

Wano_Ryuuma

Heavyarms55

@Wano_Ryuuma I don't see any reason not to. I never touched my regular Wii again after I got a Wii U. The only thing the Wii can do, that the U can't is play Gamecube games. But I keep my Gamecube around for that because I have the Gameboy player for it.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

LuigiTheGreenFire

I never felt it was worth it. I would have to have 2 TVs and both systems hooked up. There's not much on my Wii that would make me sad if it was lost.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

boblet

Removed - unconstructive

boblet

blaisedinsd

I think it’s worth it. I got all these VC games for like buck or $1.50 I think with the save states and off tv play and customizable controls.

Does the GameCube adapter even let you play virtual console game too? I will have to test that out

SW-7087-5868-6390

MarioLover92

@blaisedinsd Pretty sure that the GC adapter is only compatible with Smash Wii U.

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Please ask and let me know if you're gonna add my Switch FC, or I will have to delete your request. Thanks!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

blaisedinsd

MarioLover92 wrote:

@blaisedinsd Pretty sure that the GC adapter is only compatible with Smash Wii U.

Probably right. It works with home brew though. I can play Metroid prime with a GameCube controller on my Wii U

SW-7087-5868-6390

MarioLover92

@blaisedinsd Oh that's cool, does that mean with homebrew, you can make it so that the GC adapter is compatible with Wii games that supported the GC controller? If I had to guess, you're talking about the original GameCube version of Metroid Prime.

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Please ask and let me know if you're gonna add my Switch FC, or I will have to delete your request. Thanks!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

SKTTR

Not worth it.

The transfer tool was a mess, especially when you had many games. I had to run it multiple times, getting error messages, and it took hours fiddling around and managing data until it finally worked.

Also, it erases some games. It took away Toribash: Violence Perfected (WiiWare) from me because it was gifted to me from a good person in UK since the game was never available in my country. It took away Yoshi's Cookie (NES) as well, because of Nintendo licensing stuff. All of this without warnings.
I wrote multiple e-mails to Nintendo to get at least the Wii Points back (nowadays it would be even harder to get your money back because Wii Points are obsolete).

Apart from that, all games that have 5 - 8 player support (Dungeon Explorer, Bomberman Blast, Driift Mania, etc.) can only be played with 4 players max on Wii U because of the missing Gamecube Controller ports.

On the "plus" side, all your transfered Virtual Console games have a reduced price on Wii U, but who in the right mind would spend extra money just to have the same game on the Wii U menu, when you can easily switch to the Wii menu and play them there. Keep in mind that both Wii and Wii U have a memory limit for only 300 games/apps/channels each, so you would waste your limited Wii U space buying the same games again. And many Wii Virtual Console games weren't even re-released on Wii U Virtual Console.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Atariboy

Went smoothly for me back in the day, but I avoided having to transfer a lot of data and deliberately deleted all my games off the Wii dashboard before initiating the transfer. I figured that the more that had to be written to the SD card, the greater the chance of a hiccup in the process.

Redownloading everything was easy enough after the licenses had been transferred to the Wii U. And unless one only had a small enough digital collection to fit on the Wii's limited 512 MB's of memory, there was no getting around not redownloading some stuff anyways (Only the games directly installed to the Wii would transfer directly; Any games residing on the Wii's SD card had to be redownloaded after the transfer process on Wii U).

There were various perks to doing the Wii VC to Wii U VC upgrade. Save states versus suspend states, button remapping, Wii U Pro Controller support, and of course off-screen play with the Wii U gamepad. And except for the TurboGrafx-16 downloads, upgrade prices were reasonable I felt. Wasn't willing to pay the $3 asking price to upgrade my TG16 downloads though.

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic