Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 585

BigBadJohn

Have just purchased and tested double dash in both settings and your right. The higher refresh rate does make a big difference as everything looks smoother and runs a little quicker. Thanks for your help buddy @ThanosReXXX

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

ThanosReXXX

@BigBadJohn You're welcome.
Don't know how familiar you are with the GameCube and its games, but if a lot of it is new to you, I'd say it might be an idea to leaf through pages 1 to 10 from this thread, seeing as there are plenty of recommendations from both myself and other people.

And if I were you, I'd try and see if you can find a Datel FreeLoader or Action Replay disc. Should still be available either in retro game shops or on Amazon. With it, you can play games from all regions, which is nice for two reasons: one is that certain games aren't available in Europe, and the other is that in a lot of European versions of games, the 60Hz option has been removed, seeing as a lot of PAL TV's back in the day weren't equipped to deal with that.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

BigBadJohn

I bought a GameCube at launch so I’m currently reliving my youth. Trading it in all them years ago was a big mistake. The unit I bought has been modded and I’m running Swiss so I’m covered for the regions. I’ve got some great games so far and very cheap too. I’ve seen a few at extortionate prices though but from what I’m seeing prices are only going up so figured it was time to dive back in @ThanosReXXX

SW-5512-0541-9236

ThanosReXXX

@BigBadJohn Swiss, huh? Ah, so you're covered indeed, then. So, what prompted you to sell the original one? Money troubles, or were you also one of those people that trades in the old console for the new?

Anyway, if you're still curious about my personal list of recommendations, regardless of already being familiar with the system and its games, then you can find my list here. You may never know, it might just contain a few games that you haven't heard from yet...

I'll also add some videos of one of these games in that list, because that is an absolute hidden gem. It's a Japanese game, and personally, I'm a fan, so at the very least, that's one recommendation I do like to make, especially if you're a fan of racing games:

If you can get it for a decent price, then it's definitely worth it. The videos were made by @Shiryu, and he could tell you quite a bit more about it, if you like what you see there.

I'll end this comment with a couple of links to useful web stores and such, to get games and peripherals:

https://consolepassion.co.uk/products/nintendo-gamecube
https://www.retrogames.co.uk/
https://www.consolemad.co.uk/product-category/nintendo/gamecu...
https://www.gamexchange.co.uk/ngc

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Gamecuber

@Ninfan never used the cube online so couldn’t really answer your question. As far as I’m aware only a few games even used either the broadband or modem attachment anyway (Phantasy Star online 1&2 played online and Double Dash!! Could connect systems together). I know that CEX has the adapter on the website but I’ve not really looked around too much as it is next to useless for me anyway (I only have one friend who also owns a cube and that’s only because I gave it to him when I got my Wii ten years ago!)

‘You swapped three different N64 games for Pokemon Stadium? Where’s your pride? Your dignity?!?

‘…I traded it for a Pikachu’

kkslider5552000

Y'know, while I could be wrong, GCN probably has the least amount of games I feel I missed out on. I had the time to play a lot of games, we had the money to buy a lot of games, we spent the most time renting games, etc. So I played at least a bit of tons of games for it, for a console that wasn't successful enough to justify putting tons of games on (though because that generation was great, a lot of the games were on all three consoles just because it was easy).

Like the only ones I can think of that I really missed out on, on the top of my head, would be Cubivore and Eternal Darkness. Like...I stopped playing Tony Hawk games with Underground 2 so I think I missed out on 1 more Tony Hawk game before the series both moved on from GCN and also fell off a cliff in terms of quality. Probably some others, like a 3rd Need for Speed game I assume existed on GCN. And of course, I wanna give Baten Kaitos a real shot (after PSO Ep. 3 burned me in terms of trying RPGs with card systems) considering what the team made after those games. But I don't wanna try the FE game because I'm not a big fan and if I were to give the series another shot, I would choose other games in that series for various reasons.

The point is, while I'm sure I missed on some good games, the amount I actively want to play some day but haven't yet is incredibly small, and smaller than any other major console.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

BigBadJohn

Anti-Matter wrote:

Ninfan wrote:

@BigBadJohn what year did the gamecube launch

Japan = 14 Sep 2001
USA = 18 Nov 2001

What he said!

So my physical collection of GameCube games has grown to 12 and I’m loving it. My rarest game so far is Mario Super Star Baseball PAL and my favourite is Luigis Mansion, looks fantastic for an almost 20 year old game.

SW-5512-0541-9236

1UP_MARIO

@BigBadJohn wow. That is a super rare game for PAL game.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Gamecuber

Mario Baseball is unbelievably rare on PAL territories! You either got a real bargain or paid a pretty penny for it!

BTW GameCube released on 3 May 2002 in Europe.

‘You swapped three different N64 games for Pokemon Stadium? Where’s your pride? Your dignity?!?

BigBadJohn

I got it for £45 which is more than I wanted to pay for my GameCube games but I was aware that it’s hard to get hold of. The case was broken but the sleeve, manual and disc was in perfect condition. Bought a perfect copy of Black and Bruised for £1.50 and swapped the case out. No one will ever know! @Gamecuber

SW-5512-0541-9236

Ninfan

@RedderRugfish do you still play pantasy star online . I'm having a bit of trouble setting my self up for online play. Can you give me a little help. Do I need to use a line from my router to the gamecube broadband adaptor or should it work without a line??

Ninfan

Ninfan

@BigBadJohn careful buying Japan imports there not as good as Europe releases.

Ninfan

Anti-Matter

@Ninfan
Japanese Gamecube games has different packaging with USA / PAL version.
Japan version used Clear box case with manuals inside and wrapped by a thick cover like DVD movies. Much like GBA games package.
USA / PAL version used standard Black box with cover inside the plastic sleeve, much like PS2 games.

Anti-Matter

Ninfan

@Anti-Matter I bought the Japan version of F-ZERO GX from yes Japan on Amazon ,it was not as good as the European version , pity I was looking forward to it

Ninfan

Gamecuber

@Ninfan UK release of the GameCube was May 3rd 2002.

jay81uk

I bought a third party wireless controller for my gamecube via my Wii console.

It wouldn't work properly with 'Eternal Darkness', so I opened the controller up, gave things a wiggle, put it back together.

Now, it won't connect to the wireless receiver when loading up this game. If you put the receiver in port 2, it connects fine but you can't control anything, but nothing in port 1.

Put Mario Sunshine in, there's no issues whatsoever?! Any ideas?

jay81uk

Ninfan

Did you ever play eternal darkness before

Ninfan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic