Forums

Topic: Valve's Steam Deck console Thread

Posts 281 to 300 of 332

JaxonH

@TommyTendo
I'm getting that Splatoon 3 Switch OLED also. It looks so sick.

It's unfortunate SteamDeck couldn't release globally. They're doubling production though, and preorders are being caught up on. Maybe it'll expand to EU by this time next year. Hopefully.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Just ordered this 3D printed battery pack clip from Etsy, along with the Baseus 20,000 mAh battery it's designed to worj with and an 8" USB-C to USB-C double right angle cable from Amazon.

It may make the SteamDeck too heavy (it's already heavy) but I have to try it. If I can get 8 hr battery life with this thing, that would be amazing.

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BruceCM

Certainly looks chunky, @JaxonH .... Let us know how that goes, you'll probably have to play with your arms on something!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

@BruceCM
It does.

I wanted one half that size. I don't need weeks worth of battery- just enough to make it reasonable like 4-6 hrs for AAA games.

But given no company makes anything, the only option available was this 3D printed clip on Etsy made to work with this very specific battery bank. So, it was basically this or nothing.

The real issue is, there's no room in the case for it. Which means the only way to carry enough battery would be a larger satchel or bag, and that sucks.

Fact is, I may just end up relying on the charger a lot when playing. I bought an Anker 45W Nano charger with 6 foot USB-C to USB-C cable. Gonna keep the official one at work, that one at home, and got a 65W double USB-C charger for travel (can do 45W on top and 18W on bottom simultaneously, meaning Switch and Deck together or phone and deck together if Switch is docked).

But we'll give this a go. If nothing else the battery can be used portably like normal with a long cable.

BruceCM

Yeah, hopefully better options will become available eventually, @JaxonH .... Let us know when you've tried the various options more to assess them, then

SW-4357-9287-0699

skywake

JaxonH wrote:

I'd never used Linux before, but I'm a believer now. It doesn't feel like "Windows" or "Linux" or any other OS. It feels like a console. Like Nintendo Switch. It's a custom handheld UI that just happens to be running on Linux. But you'd never know it if someone didn't tell you. It's basically like Switch. Hit menu button for quick access to shortcuts like Library, Downloads, Settings, Friends, Store, etc.

Worth pointing out that this has been true of pretty much every console for the last 20 years or so. With the exception of XBox obviously. The only significant difference with Steam Deck, and it's a big one, is that it's not at all locked down and the store has games not specifically engineered for the device

Basically Steam Deck is like a portable PS4 that's officially jailbreaked out of the box. To the point where they've even installed a desktop GUI

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

Ok, that battery is heavy as heck. Don't think I'm gonna wanna play like that. It was worth a shot. I wanted a huge battery anyways so I'll keep it, but the clip is wasted.

Anyways, the Steamdeck case has a crevice on the back between the handles where it bulges out on the sides, with an elastic band that covers it. PERFECT to tuck away a tiny battery and cable (or charger).

The key is finding one that fits. I measured the dimensions with a digital caliper and you basically need something no bigger than 2" wide and 4" long and 1" high (it's more like 5-6" but you need a bit of space for the USB-C cable). I happened to find an 10,000 mAh Anker battery meeting those specs, and it's 25W which should be enough to cover total system power draw for most games. And if not, it'll drain at an EXTREMELY slow trickle. Either way, it'll work. Should basically double battery life from 2 to 4 hrs min.

And the nice thing is, since you HAVE to take the case anywhere you go with it, you'll always have the battery, which means, no need to attach it to the system. Just run a 3 ft USB-C cable and set it down. Keep thin cable under elastic band in crevice next to battery.

Bam.

Thin 45 Watt Charger
Untitled

Thin 25 Watt Battery
Untitled

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0841J6CMK?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_p...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B096TP4B1T?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_p...

Edited on by JaxonH

BruceCM

That sounds a lot better, @JaxonH .... I'm sure more accessories of all kinds will appear for Steam Deck as it gets around, too! As an aside about it 'coming to the EU, it's been doing the UK, France, Spain, Italy, etc but evidently not quite got to every country yet

SW-4357-9287-0699

JaxonH

@BruceCM
Oh right on. I guess it was Australia I was thinking of. I'd like to see more accessories but honestly, beside the upcoming 1.5 TB microSD, and a battery that fits in the crevice like the one above... I think that covers it.

JaxonH

The 25 Watt Battery is on sale today for Prime Day over $20 off!

Anyone with a Steam Deck reservation who wants one to tuck in the crevice of their case, now's the time to pounce!

Matt_Barber

It's still only available for pre-order in the US, Canada, EU and UK.

I'm hoping that, with it being the anniversary of the initial announcement in a couple of days, they'll be adding some more countries to that list. Even if they do though we'd likely be waiting long into next year with the current backlog, .

Matt_Barber

JaxonH

Here's the battery bank tucked away in the case!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

JaxonH

Got Horizon working properly. Reinstalled, used in game frame limiter instead of system level. Tweaked a few other things. It's doing good now, mostly. Definitely playable.

I'm out of space, even with the 512 GB model and 1 TB micro SD. Those 1.5 TB micro SDs can't come soon enough. In the meantime I dug up two old 512 GB cards and put them in a spare Switch cartridge slot sd holder I got off Etsy. Perfect for storage within the mesh bag with battery. Hot swapping between is easy.

Now I can install Doom Eternal, Bioshock 2 Remastered and a bunch of other games I didn't have room for.

markmarkmark

BruceCM wrote:

Certainly looks chunky, @JaxonH .... Let us know how that goes, you'll probably have to play with your arms on something!

There's been a joke going on now in the steam deck community of how when they play with it, and then go pick up their switch, it feels like cardboard afterwards. 💪😆

Game on. 🤘 Rock on. 🎸

markmarkmark

Matt_Barber wrote:

@JaxonH That's the last we'll see of you for a couple of weeks then.

From what people who've already got one are telling me, it's best to stick to "great on Deck" games to start with. Almost anything else can be made to run on it, but it's not necessarily going to be easy.

I've seen someone post on reddit that they got sims 1 complete collection to run on a steam deck.

it was awesome too. this is where I found it.
https://steamdeck.community/threads/redditor-running-sims-1-c...

Game on. 🤘 Rock on. 🎸

Mii_duck

After ordering last July, my Steam Deck turned up last week (I live in the UK).

First impressions then -

My, it's a chunky monkey, but you know that. I actually find it quite comfortable to hold, with none of the Switch-frozen-claw-fingers I usually get after a Nintendo session.

First annoyance was getting used to the A and B button positions being, er, switched, from the Switch. The number of times I quit out of a menu by mistake by pressing B.
Speaking of menus - there is a Steam button, a menu button, in game menus... I'd say in terms of UI it's behind where Nintendo are.
However, I hold my hands up here - I'm not much of a dabbler with settings, and the Deck is absolutely for dabblers.

Downloaded a few games and I'm currently playing the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot. Now, I did play around with the millions of graphics settings (TressFX for Lara's hair? Bonkers.) but got bored and saw the 'Ultimate' override thing, so whacked that on.
Now. I'm not a FPS tart. When people moaned about Saints Row 3 or Outer Worlds on Switch I honestly couldn't see what the problem was.
However, on Ultimate the game sometimes runs like it's a flip book. I can live with those brief moments though, cos the rest of the time it looks fantastic.

As @JaxonH said, it's disappointing some games I wanted aren't verified or playable. Looking at you, Forza 4. (5 will run though.)

Battery life? On Tomb Raider, on those settings it's about one hour 50. I like that the charging port is on top of the Deck though. Really like the big screen too (I have an original not OLED Switch) and the joysticks feel more robust, stiffer in motion. Some of the plastics look, if not feel, a little low rent mind.

Now to the main issue. Formatted my SD Card through the Deck. Downloaded games to it, all good. Or it was. Once the Deck is shut down and restarted it refuses to read the card, says my library games are "not installed". Looking at Google, this is getting a common issue.
I moved Tomb Raider to the internal memory, but that won't work for me for large games as I got the 64gig Deck.
Take the card out and reinsert it and magically the Deck will read if again, until the next time it's powered down.
I've looked on Google, opened up the Steam Desktop... and noped right out. I don't have the knowledge to play around in there to try and get the card to work, and no instructions on Google were clear or even appeared to be looking at the same directories as I have. As far as I can tell, the desktop sees it, but the Deck doesn't. Odd, and frustrating.

But anyway. It feels a good bit of kit, but definitely early days for usability. It isn't - and I'm sure not intended to be - as plug n' play as a console. I'm looking forward to getting to know it more, and I think if any game I want is available for both Switch and Deck in future, I'll probably get it on the Deck.

I feel strangely unfaithful to Nintendo, saying that.

Edited on by Mii_duck

Mii_duck

Matt_Barber

They've added a few more countries to the list it's available for: Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Australia and Norway are still feeling trolled hard though.

Matt_Barber

JoeDiddley

I work from home so usually I’m getting all the neighbours parcels. I’m always around. So it’s typical I’m on holiday until late on Saturday with the Steam Deck tracking as in the country (Uk) so likely they’ll try and deliver it Thursday or Friday.

Fingers crossed I can get it rearranged or collect it from a depot not too far away without much hassle on my return. Especially as I’m also travelling to London on Monday for work.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

JoeDiddley

It’s arrived! I’m not home until tomorrow but IT’S ARRIVED!

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic