Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 3,581 to 3,600 of 16,083

Dezzy

Lzeon wrote:

If there is one demand I have for the new South Park game, it better not be broken like Stick of Truth for the PS3. I am so sour over the game-breaking glitch I experienced.

Does psychological trauma count as a game-breaking glitch?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Peek-a-boo

Journey sits in my top ten games of all time.

Imagine my glee and excitement when I read some folks first play impressions on NeoGAF, in which they are openly saying that ABZÛ is better.

Just twelve more hours to go!

@Octane I started Hyper Light Drifter again, after finishing Mirror's Edge yesterday, and have decided to go North to begin with, before eventually going East, then West followed by South.

Some 'rooms' are really tricky. I am finding the shooting controls to be somewhat lackadaisical; I wish I could be able to move and shoot at the same time, and use the right analogue stick to aim too!

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo It's tricky, but you'll get used to it. I usually flick the control stick in the direction I want to fire when I press the trigger. The boss in the east is definitely the easiest so far, but north seems to be the intented way to go first from what I've discovered. Currently fighting the boss in the west; that one is absolutely brutal..

Octane

Peek-a-boo

Started at half past eight this morning, and finished at midday. Those three and a half hours are some of the best I have experienced in years.

ABZÛ could very well be one of the bright stars of this generation, much like Journey was for the last.

I would prefer to go in depth (ho ho!) with my experience once some of you folks have finished it, as the whole aquatic journey is the greatest audiovisual treat you can possibly play this year.

Journey was about the circle of life, and the players ascension to heaven. ABZÛ goes to the deepest of depths, and evokes a similar emotional response as Journey does. One particular moment had me grinning for the longest time!

I must admit that the opening five minutes can be a little bit confusing and somewhat disenchanting if you were expecting a grandiose beginning however, it doesn't take long for things to open up and become a grand adventure beneath the waves.

I have only read two reviews so far, both giving the game a 10/10:

Press Start - http://press-start.com.au/reviews/playstation4-reviews/2016/0...

Gaming Blog - http://nextgengamingblog.com/blog/abzu-review/

Every game henceforth is going to feel underwhelming...

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Joetherocker

Gonna get a PS4 to fill the absolute void of a release schedule Nintendo's stuck me with until March (At the earliest)

Looking at starting out with Arkham Knight, Dragon Age: Inquisition, InFamous: Second Son, and Bloodborne as my initial lineup. (I can get them all for $60 or so in total, which I think is a fantastic deal)

Not to rag on Nintendo too much, but it's nice to see games that actually decrease with price over time.

What games would you guys say are essential on PS4?

Wild signature appeared!

3DS FC: 4270-1110-7770

Octane

@Joetherocker Essential? Uncharted 4!

If you didn't own a PS3 last gen or it you haven't played any of the other Uncharted games, there's a neat three-in-one remaster package for the PS4: Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection. The same goes for The Last of Us, if you haven't played it yet, grab the remaster for PS4.

Anything else depends on what you're looking for. Gravity Rush Remastered is an awesome action adventure game that is getting a sequel this year. There's Tearaway Unfolded if you're into platformers. And there are plenty of amazing indies, just let me know what you're looking for and maybe I can give some recommendations.

Octane

Joetherocker

@Octane

I completely forgot about the Uncharted trilogy, I'll put it on the list.

If you have any recs in the indie department they would be appreciated. I generally know about the big retail titles, but I know a lot less about that side of things.

Wild signature appeared!

Tasuki

@Joetherocker Indie wise on PS4

Resogun
Rocket League
Jonestown
Splunky
Table Top Racer is pretty good too

Also if you like RPGS like Dragon Age I highly suggest Neverwinter best thing about that is its free.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Joetherocker

@Octane

I play just about everything, so anything is fine.

@Tasuki

I'll look into those. Thanks!

Wild signature appeared!

Octane

@Joetherocker ABZÛ just released today, it's close to a spiritual successor of Journey, it's pretty good so far. Last week we got Hyper Light Drifter, a must have if you're a fan of top-down action adventure games; there's exploration, sweet combat and a high level of difficulty.

Do you like puzzle games, like Fez (an amazing game as well btw), then get yourself The Witness. Definitely one of my favourite games this year so far. Don't look up any guides, the game is difficult, but so satisfying once you find the solutions.

I've heard good things about Axiom Verge as well, it's like Metroid, and maybe even better. I did play Xeodrifter another metroidvania-style game, it's short and difficult, but also pretty decent.

If you're into story games, then Firewatch is a good mystery/adventure game. It looks absolutely beautiful; You spend an entire summer as a firewatch in a national park in Wyoming.

I think these are pretty good for a starter and they're the ones that came to mind first. Hope this is of any help to you!

Octane

Gamer83

@Joetherocker
Nobody mentioned it yet, so I'll say Ratchet & Clank is an essential purchase. And if you like RPGs, Deus EX: Mankind Divided comes out later this month. If it's even half as good as Deus Ex: Human Revolution it will be an awesome game.

Gamer83

Peek-a-boo

I cannot recommend anything higher than Bloodborne, but it isn't the kind of game for everyone though.

You also have Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, which are two of the best games this year.

As for indie games, especially (some) console exclusives, the PlayStation 4 has a fantastic line-up:

• Alienation (from the studio who gave us Super Stardust and Resogun)
  • Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (a 'walking simulator' with excellent individual stories and an astounding BAFTA award winning soundtrack)
  • Firewatch
  • flOw, Flower and Journey (you can buy all three in Journey Collector's Edition)
  • Life is Strange (the freshest and most original episodic series in years)
  • Rocket League (it's ssoooo much fun!)
  • SOMA (a science fiction horror game set in the depths of the sea; also has a very memorable story)
  • Transistor (from the studio who created Bastion - has an outstanding OST too)
  • The Witness (one of the best games of 2016, indie or not)

After yesterday, you can add ABZÛ to this rather long list too!

If you didn't have a PlayStation 3, the likes of Gravity Rush Remastered, The Nathan Drake Collection (the Uncharted series), Tearaway Unfolded and The Last of Us Remastered are all worth your time and money, especially the latter which was arguably the best game of last generation.

Personally speaking, unless you are a huge Batman fan, I wouldn't worry too much about Arkham Knight, as you unfortunately spend most of your time in the clunky Batmobile, and the so-called 'bosses' are both joyless and unremarkable.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is not what one would called 'essential' in a world where you can play The Witcher III instead.

It is a good time as any to jump ship until the NX is (eventually) out!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

I... wouldn't play Firewatch. It's a story game with a disappointing story IMO.

Journey and ABZU (which should have been called Journey 2) are both must-plays of the "this is art" variety. It's best to go in blind, as those games are so experiential, but if you like one you'll like both.

Life is Strange is a better version of a TellTale game with an innovative rewind mechanic for puzzles and dialogue trees. Highschool setting, kids goofin' around, time travel, murder mystery: you can't go wrong.

Finally, Crypt of the Necrodancer is an innovative rogue-like (think Pokemon Mystery Dungeon) that centers around moving and attacking to the beat of catchy dance music. The weapon, item, and enemy variety are all there, so it makes each play-through unique. It also respawns you quick, if dying in something like Souls bothers you.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

@Haru17 I think Firewatch maybe played too much with your expectations. I liked the conclusion, it was pretty down to earth and real.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

I knew what I was expecting with Firewatch, as the developers - Campo Santo - continuously said that it shall be a grounded story with relatable dialogue/situations during their pre-release interviews.

Yes, it hinted at something supernatural-ish in a way that Spielberg films of yesteryear used to subtly do, but I liked the whole 'world' we were able to explore, and the little things that happened in between.

Such a beautiful and eye-poppingly colourful looking game too.

I believe a lot of those who were somewhat disappointed were underwhelmed by an ending that didn't quite play out like the imaginative one they had in their own minds.

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

@Ocatane The trailer said it was an occult mystery game, which I would have been okay with. The beginning said it was an adventure, which would have been great with me. The middle said it was a romance thriller, which I would have been just DANDY with. The ending said it was a walking simulator which, by then, I wasn't even surprised by.

And, by the way, if you're going to purport the strength of that game's writing, just ask a female writer about Delilah's. She's a temptress, plain and simple. There's no more nuance to that than the manic pixie dream girls or waifs in a million JRPGs.

Edited on by Haru17

Haru17

Octane wrote:

It was a metaphor for life itself.

Untitled

Edited on by Haru17

CanisWolfred

^^^^^^^This is why I play games, and not movies that call themselves games. If I'm disappointed with a story's conclusion, I can usually say "well, at least the game was fun!" or "I really liked that crazy multi-orm boss fight!" Not to a say a good story isn't preferred, but when a game like Firewatch has to reky entirely on its story, it better be a good one, or I'm just gonna regret not queuing up 2001: A Space Odyssey on Netflix. And believe me, that is normally a difficult thing to accomplish.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic