Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 11,481 to 11,500 of 16,083

CanisWolfred

@WebHead Probably right, though I certainly won't be trading in, I'd rather just wait a few years for a price drop and save money while enjoying the same kind of shower of cheaper games I'm currenty enjoying o the Switch. I think I've been burned by enough launches by now to realize the importance of patience...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

redd214

I'm expecting $500 as well based on specs and the marketplace now. Depending on how easy the BC is may trade in both my ps4s and get two 5s at launch. Hope we don't have to wait too long for the next info drop!

redd214

WebHead

@redd214 yeah theyd love $400 but it may not be feasible. Its pretty much" you wanna be first in line to get the new best toy? Pay up."

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

redd214

@WebHead yup exactly. And I'm sure places like Gamestop will have trade in offers on ps4s to soften the blow a bit just like they did with the ps3.

Was just reading GT7 is a rumored launch title! Though doubtful, that would be spectacular if true!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

MrGawain

I bought a PS4 during the Wii U era, but to be honest I've been a little disappointed how much I've actually wanted on the system. Part of this comes down with having time to sit down in front of a console and play on a big screen. If I'm honest I tend to watch more Netflix/Sky/iPlayer on the thing. Plus I've had issues with the thing updating when I actually want to use it, and a dodgy ghost eject button.

With this I'm very cautious about buying another Playstation, especially as it just seems to be a beefier iteration of the PS4 that costs more and has bigger download patches. I suppose my opinion could be changed with game announcements, but with the Switch having so many games that appeal to me I think I can either wait or skip it entirely.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

Magician

redd214 wrote:

I'm expecting $500 as well based on specs and the marketplace now. Depending on how easy the BC is may trade in both my ps4s and get two 5s at launch. Hope we don't have to wait too long for the next info drop!

$500 seems like a reasonable price considering the specs that have been leaked recently. I also doubt the next Xbox will come in under that price if MS intends to offer hardware that's a step above the Xbox One X, which launched with an msrp of $500. Ugh, time to budget for $1000 of hardware in 2020.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Octane

There have been rumours saying Sony is willing to take a loss, and a system with the same specs are a bit cheaper next year. Especially after the success of the PS4, I'm sure they're able to confidently order everything in bulk. Whilst $499 is likely the maximum, I could see it releasing closer to $449. Or maybe $499 bundled with a launch game; Horizon 2? Or maybe even two PS4 remasters; TLOU2 and Death Stranding for example, assuming they release on the PS4 before the PS5 comes out.

Octane

redd214

@Magician yeah $1000 was the number I was thinking too to get going on next gen.

@Octane I think the days of getting a game bundled in at a console launch are LOOOONG gone. Doesn't really make sense to do it anymore especially with something like a hypothetical Horizon 2. Why take a further loss by bundling it when you already know it's going to sell millions regardless.

redd214

Octane

@redd214 Because I'm not sure how people will respond to $499 + a game or two at launch. That's getting close to PS3 prices, and we all know how that went.

Octane

redd214

@Octane I see what you're saying but at some point if you're already spending $500, $600 is not exactly an astronomical leap lol. Early adopters like many of us are going to go all out at launch regardless but I don't think it will be PS3 levels of bad especially with seemingly OOTB BC.

We're a couple generations from games being bundled at launch and I doubt Sony would restart the trend (outside of something small a la Resogun)

redd214

Grumblevolcano

It's for sure going to be less than $599, $599 would just bring back the E3 2006 memes.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

No way it'll be over $449.99. I'm sure Sony remembers what happened with the PS3, and they're not going to want to lose their position of market dominance again.

I've learned my lesson from the PS4. I'm going to wait until the mid-gen revision is $300 and bundled with a big game or something (like on Black Friday). I already have too many games to play as is.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TuVictus

I could see them going either way, honestly. I could easily imagine a scenario where they feel cocky enough to try and go for the higher price, but also just as likely to understand their good will has kinda been falling lately and go for something more reasonable.

Either way, I'm excited to see what comes of it. I know it won't happen, but if they managed something on the scale of Bloodborne as a launch game, I would happily buy it day 1. I think God of War: Ragnarok seems like a good possibility, assuming it releases in 2020

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Octane

@PikPi Horizon 2 could be a launch game.

God of War: Ragnarok will likely be reserved for the third entry in the trilogy; there's still plenty of stuff to do before that happens in Norse mythology

Rumour has it that a new studio is working on something Uncharted related as well. And Guerilla Games is apparently also working on two games at the same time; maybe Killzone related, and possibly online related.

Octane

NEStalgia

There's not a chance they push $500 on next gen. That's just begging for trouble while streaming is pushing into the market. Consoles are built to a price point, period. PS3's launch was a certified disaster because of the high pricing. Sony hasn't broached that price point since. MS did it with the X, but the X was always an optional premium SKU, not the primary SKU that remains the 1S. I suppose Sony could come out of the gates with a Pro and Standard version, but I can't see them doing that at a launch. I don't believe MS is going to do that either. Spencer has commented on the current situation not being ideal. MS will do 2 SKUs, but not two performance levels, the one will likely be the cheaper digital-only while the other is the media box. The media box, I suppose could push $500, but I don't see that for the mass market. Ultra gamer nerds think $500 just for a GPU is fine. The mass market wouldn't pay that for the whole PC. $399 is the sweet spot right now (and even that is pushing it.) $450 if they're feeling cocky. I can't imagine they'd push $499. They'd just be handing the market to the rise of streaming plus Nintendo, or prolonging having to support PS4 more heavily and crippling their new box.

@Ralizah Agreed on mid-gen refresh....unless my beeper starts beeping again. (Beeper! Stop beeping!)

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Agriculture

NEStalgia wrote:

There's not a chance they push $500 on next gen.

If the PS4 sticks around for 3-4 more years, it will be the cheaper option that plays Fortnite, all indie games and some AAA games. Then a $500 PS5 will be the higher end option. Remember that the PS5 will be fully backwards compatible with all PS4 games, and that also probably mean all low spec games meant for PS5 will also run on PS4, though maybe at lower settings.

The PS5 has to be much more powerful than the Xbox One X, otherwise people will wonder what the point it, and you can't do that with a price of just $400.

Agriculture

WebHead

@Octane sony does have some money saving advantages. They seem pretty involved with Navi dev so maybe they get a nice deal. Plus sony does not have to pay liscense/royaltee fee for bluray and they make their own Ssds for their dedocated cameras.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

TuVictus

@Octane Yeah I guess the second game may just take place during the FimbulWinter stage of the apocalypse.

TuVictus

Octane

@WebHead Makes me wonder if they'll start pushing 4K blu-rays, or one of their other experimental 100+ GB blu-rays for next gen. I mean, they already have developed 1TB blu-rays, (years ago as well) so the tech is there. It's just a matter of price at this point.

@PikPi Yeah, I think you're spot on with that idea.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Agriculture At $500+ it's DOA. That's not the mainstream game console market. XBox will have a budget digital-only SKU, Switch is significantly cheaper, and streaming is going to be making a run for the large mass market (internet problems notwithstanding), for probably low-low $30/mo or less type pricing. And hardcore gamers with deep wallets will buy PC. Who's the market for $500+ consoles, and has it grown substantially since the trainwreck that was the PS3 launch? Or the XBOne launch for that matter? X1X is a premium product for a niche of their market, not a mass market item, and it got a price cut in a year with deep deep sales often on top of that. If they made that they only X1, they'd be in the same hole they were in at launch.

I know Sony is arrogant Sony again like the PS3 launch era, but I'd like to think even they're more intelligent than launching a $500 console as their only new console while Nintendo conquers Japan, XBox takes the floor after them this time (a first for them), and Google & MS are standing by rubbing their hands together for Stadia and XCloud, while Switch conquers Japan and eats the periphery. PS4 was the right price, the right image, and the right noises at just the right time with MS shooting their own feet and Nintendo circling the drain. They need to be smarter this time, and a $500 launch isn't going to cut it.

Plus the cost to build doesn't have to be that high given their scale. Comparing to X1X isn't quite accurate, that was designed years ago. In tech, time alone changes the costs - for the same price or less they could still build something more powerful. "Raw power" is Microsoft's game, not Sony's. Sony, Like Nintendo, has never won by being the most powerful. In the PS4 era it helped, but mostly because MS had such a weak showing.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic