Forums

Topic: PS5 Late Christmas 2019?

Posts 21 to 40 of 79

Octane

@GrailUK I think it's difficult to ''react'' when a new console requires years of R&D. The only reason to wait would be to see what the competition is doing and change your marketing strategy. Either way, there's no reason to announce a console a year in advance. I still expect a reveal at PSX 2019 and a release date in early 2020. No PSX this year is because they aren't going to announce new games at the moment; because it's safe to assume that any new game announcement is a PS5 title at this point.

@StephanDLW Kojima has said that the game is still on track for a 2019 release on PS4. Assuming a delay into 2020 happens, I doubt it's going to be a PS5 exclusive title.

Octane

GrailUK

@Octane That's what I meant by react But, Microsoft bumped up the Xbox after the Gamecube reveal. So it's not outlandish.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

DanteSolablood

@GrailUK Don't forget that Sony revealed the (horribly rushed) Sixaxis controller after the Wii reveal.

Danté: Old, cool & wise (the latter two are lies)
3DS FC: 1461-6243-5395
Switch FC: SW-4146-5915-6308
"Friendship is rare, hand me that shotgun buddy, hand me that chair."

Twitter:

doomzelboy

talk about this on pushsquare please

doomzelboy

Switch Friend Code: SW-4720-2478-4703 | My Nintendo: doomzelboy

GrailUK

@doomzelboy It's in the other gaming section. Let folk converse I say.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

FragRed

@doomzelboy Have you checked the topics the Other Gaming section has? What's the problem with discussing about the PS5?

On topic for the PS5, first of all I am not expecting it or the next Xbox to launch next year. In fact I also doubt we will see anything about either consoles until 2020. I expect something to happen very similar as the launch of this generation launch - early 2020 we will have reveal conferences, hopefully Microsoft has learned from last time, and then E3 will be the big launch game blowout for both systems with a late October/early November launch.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Aozz101x

Sony could make Last of Us 2 or Death Stranding as launch titles for PS5 and release along side of the PS4 versions. would sell a lot on both console. i doubt these next gens console are coming next year, likely 2020.

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

FragRed

@Aozz101x I think Sony will do what proved successful last time which was release Last of Us Part 2 on PS4 then a year later, release it on the new PS5 when it launches. Same thing with Death Stranding. It's a good way of filling out that year one lineup. Especially so as year one of new generations go through a dry spell after the launch line up holidays.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Dezzy

Another reason to think it won't be until 2020:

The console sales for PS4 are still pretty much at the highest they've been. 2017 was the best selling year for the PS4 and 2018 is on track to match it about equally. It doesn't really make sense from Sony's point of view to abandon that lead while it's still going quite strongly.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/392855/year-on-year-sales-amp...

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

FragRed

@Dezzy That is true, I think the only reason right now Sony is looking at another console at all is because Microsoft are going to be keen to try kick start something and get back all those lost Xbox 360 players with the next generation Xbox and Sony don't want to be a year behind again like they were with the PS3.

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed Yeah, if Microsoft announce their new system at XO18 then Sony doesn't have much choice but to follow up with a PS5 reveal.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano IF Microsoft revealed the next Xbox at XO18 (which for the record I don't think they will) I doubt Sony is in the position to reveal their PS5. Not unless they have been sitting on things for a while. I would imagine Sony would panic, to a degree though they know the PS4 is still selling, but I doubt Sony could rush to get a conference together and showcase a half finished system. They would have learned from the PS3 reveal when games were supposed to be running on actual hardware but in fact was PCs.

StuTwo

@Grumblevolcano They could reveal it shortly before Microsoft launch their new system though. No specifics - just the idea that it'll be much more powerful and better supported can be enough to put a lot of people off buying an expensive box on launch and waiting a year instead. Especially those who are on the fence to begin with.

It's the strategy that torpedoed the Dreamcast.

I can see 2019 for PS5 though. In practice I think it'll be an iterative "PS4 Pro Pro" but properly badged as a PS5. Of course whatever Sony do it'll be successful. They are the masters of selling premium mass market consumer electronics... Well they're a distant number 2 after Apple but they're still miles ahead of just about anyone else. No one else can market these things quite as well as Sony can.

As for the arguments about the PS4 selling well - it's true but by late 2019 the product will be in the declining phase of its lifecycle. That's exactly the moment that a good business launches a successor. Waiting until your old product is clearly dead because you don't want to disrupt it is terrible business (see Nintendo with the Wii...).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Dezzy

@FragRed

I'm not sure how much being the first out of the gate really affects this stuff. You get some advantages for being first. You get some advantages for being second.

One thing you can do if you're second is just wait until the opponent announces their console specs and price and then deliberately make yours slightly more powerful and slightly cheaper.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Angelic_Lapras_King

@Cobalt Maybe, but I guess it depends how they go about it, like Microsoft's with weekly-ish new backwards compat titles being added or all out with "it can play anything day one" which I doubt.

Imagine if Microsoft came out and announced that "All current backwards compat games on XBONE will be playable on our new XBox Whatever day one!". Sony would have to do an awful lot of catching up to do if they go the weekly route, especially when that would mean the XBox Whatever would have almost all the 360s CODs including the highly regarded ones, playable on day one and possibly with 4K Enhancements down the line, and thats just one example. The common complaint with new consoles is there's barely anything to play within the first year or 2, Microsoft could have over 500 360 and OG XBox games on day one where that wouldnt be as much of an issue, and for those that skipped XBONE you have a library of games you missed to try too, whether thats everything on day one or games added on a weekly basis which would still be faster than new releases.

Regardless, PS5 could come the later the better for me. Still PS4-less.....

Edited on by Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King

FragRed

@Dezzy Microsoft has the most to gain while Sony has the most to lose, but I think Microsoft will be, again, first out the gate in terms of revealing their next Xbox. Sony is in a much healthier position with their console market right now, so they can sit back and wait a little for Microsoft to make the first move. It worked for them last time. As you said, they can again announce something more powerful and cheaper - just a couple of last minute tweaks.

Octane

Cobalt wrote:

And guess what ?

https://gearnuke.com/sony-planning-backward-compatibility-for...

If they do that, let me tell you already that they're gonna rule the market again...

Did you read the patent? They're just assuming it's backwards compatibility, but the patent doesn't describe any of that. They're talking about uprezzing emulated games.

Each asset such as a texture called for by legacy software such as a legacy computer game software has a unique identifier associated with it. The unique identifier can be rendered by imposing a hash on the asset, and then the asset stored with its identifier in a data structure. An artist remasters the textures for presentation on a higher resolution display than envisioned in the original software, and stores them back in the data structure with their identifiers. The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation.

Anyway, backwards compatibility is kinda overrated. It's nice, but it's not a system seller. The PS4 isn't backwards compatible, the Wii U was. If BC was so important, sales figures would be the other way around.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Presumably we could make the same argument about multimedia applications on consoles as well. The Wii U had them, but is a failure. The Switch doesn't, and is a success. Should we take this to mean that they're entirely unimportant, or that they're an important feature, but not one that'll sink a popular system or help an unpopular one succeed?

BC won't save an unpopular console, but it will help persuade consumers heavily invested in last gen software to take the plunge sooner than later. It'll also help early purchasers feel more of a sense of satisfaction with the software library, since they're not restricted to the slim pickings available early on.

It's not overrated just because you don't care about it, just like something like voice chat isn't "overrated" just because I don't use it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Ralizah It's kinda overrated in the sense that some believe it's a make it or break it deal. It isn't. I'm sure it could sway a fair amount of people into buying your new system though.

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.