Forums

Topic: The OUYA – A New $99 Open Game Console

Posts 221 to 240 of 246

Amigaengine

CanisWolfred wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

I kinda like the idea of the OUYA but it's not something I could ever see myself buying.

I mean I like indie games and all, but the good ones seem few and far between. Most are either 5 minutes of fun or prententious hipster nonsense.

No, the 5 minutes of fun and the pretentious hipster nonsense are among the better games, compared to the mountains of unimaginitive copycats and downright trash.

LOL, unimaginative copycats and trash. Compared to all the great titles being released today ?

Amigaengine

SCRAPPER392

Amigaengine wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

OUYA will be a hit with as people said Indie developers, but I also see it being a hit with people part of the emulation scene and thats where it could hurt Nintendo and MS, especially when certain games dont make it to the VC and XBLA services. What Earthbound isnt coming to VC np I will just find a rom and play it on OUYA. Killer Instinct not coming to XBLA. OUYA to the rescue. You can see where I am going with this.

Personally feel emulation will be better than WiiU VC releases if they are anything like the butchered versions that was released for the Wii. Personally purchased over 50 VC titles and nearly half of them was very poorly done.

XBMC, Emulation, Chrono Blade and general indie development are the things that I am most excited about in regards to Ouya.

How were VC games poorly handled? The games that were on VC were better than the original copies. How are they going to do emulation of games on other consoles when those games still exist and are being sold as digital? That sounds like pirating on a mass market scale.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Amigaengine

SCAR392 wrote:

Amigaengine wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

OUYA will be a hit with as people said Indie developers, but I also see it being a hit with people part of the emulation scene and thats where it could hurt Nintendo and MS, especially when certain games dont make it to the VC and XBLA services. What Earthbound isnt coming to VC np I will just find a rom and play it on OUYA. Killer Instinct not coming to XBLA. OUYA to the rescue. You can see where I am going with this.

Personally feel emulation will be better than WiiU VC releases if they are anything like the butchered versions that was released for the Wii. Personally purchased over 50 VC titles and nearly half of them was very poorly done.

XBMC, Emulation, Chrono Blade and general indie development are the things that I am most excited about in regards to Ouya.

How were VC games poorly handled? The games that were on VC were better than the original copies. How are they going to do emulation of games on other consoles when those games still exist and are being sold as digital? That sounds like pirating on a mass market scale.

I am assume you never had a real PC Engine ?

They are offering emulators not roms.

Amigaengine

SCRAPPER392

@Amigaengine
Emulators don't work without ROMs, that's like saying they let you download ROMs but not the emulator. By letting you have an emulator, they are basically encouraging you to download stuff illegally, as far as things still owned by a company go.
Nintendo VC and other classics on PSN or XBLA work, because the actual owners of the content allow it to be on there, and they still make money.
If people start buying this OUYA for emulation to play ROMs that are still relevant merchandise on other platforms, do you really think that will be ok?
Do you steal music and movies, too?

BTW, I'm pretty sure ALOT of people have had a PC engine. It's called a computer running Windows.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

CanisWolfred

VC was poorly handled because of the lack of marketing and the lack of effort on Nintendo's part for the prices they were charging. It was okay in the end, but it could've been so much more, and anyone who has used an emulator before knows that.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Amigaengine

SCAR392 wrote:

@Amigaengine

BTW, I'm pretty sure ALOT of people have had a PC engine. It's called a computer running Windows.

Just stop it. You have 0 idea about anything you type.

Untitled

Edited on by Amigaengine

Amigaengine

CanisWolfred

Amigaengine wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Amigaengine

Just stop it. You have 0 idea about anything you type.

I was just about to say the same thing to you. I've been meaning to tell you that for a long time, now. Seriously, SCAR makes a good point, and corrects a blantantly incorrect statement you made, and you think he doesn't know what he's talking about? Seriously, I never thought I 'd have to ever say this, but: you seriously need to read up on some stuff before you post again, at least on this topic, if not a lot of topics you like to talk about.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Amigaengine

That was uncalled for. Knock it off — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

Amigaengine

MAB

Actually the users saying that this will be the best thing ever without the device being on the market for a full year don't really know what they're talking about

MAB

OptometristLime

^ Indeed actual adoption rates will be the true barometer once OUYA is in the wild.

I think it's great that people are getting to invest in their dream console. As far as its power to sway the masses, my enthusiasm is colder than a stone. It's a console designed to buck trends by cutting out the middleman, and rejecting decades of refinement in the way game development is handled. Sure there are inefficiencies in the current paradigm for game development but as a device for indies it seems ill fated.

To be clear I love indie games and think they are a refreshing creative force in the industry. However all the things that make them desirable: flexibility to meet customer demands, minimalistic approach on a shoe-string budget, and lack of accountability to a higher up. All these things make their contributions potentially forgettable, short-sighted, and half-baked. In a larger ecosystem they are surely welcome, but IMO indies by themselves are merely a passing sideshow in the larger game trend.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

KAHN

just because it isn't on the market yet doesn't mean anything. developers have already bought the console on kickstarter. and who says dvelopers aren't allowed to play games too? they can buy AND make games too, you know. again, it's not made to compete with main consoles, it's made to be an alternative. i'm willing to bet it'll sell pretty well on shelves based on that price tag. "a $100 system? compared to the $799 PS4??! to the $350 WiiU??! where do i sign??"

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

theStyleWithin

It looks awesome! I'm getting this but probably not on launch day. ):

First earth destroy the other planets later!

Top 10 games:
Fortune Street
Age of Empires 2 Conquerors Exansion
Fire Emblem Awakening
Theatrerythm Final Fantasy
Darksiders 2
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Nintendoland
Neopets.com

3DS Friend Code: 1762-2891-3100 | Nintendo Network ID: theStyleWithin

shingi_70

Really thinking of picking up one when the system launches. Mostly to tinker with and use as a set top box if I can put Googl TV on it since its pretty silent.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

SwerdMurd

The "use it as a set top box", and similar comments, is what scares me... I'm hoping to develop for the console, but I've heard (and honestly identify / agree with) a lot of these attitudes. Hopefully a decent chunk of people will want to game on it, and not just use it as an emulator (as they are weirdly forward about advertising) and media hub

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

shingi_70

SwerdMurd wrote:

The "use it as a set top box", and similar comments, is what scares me... I'm hoping to develop for the console, but I've heard (and honestly identify / agree with) a lot of these attitudes. Hopefully a decent chunk of people will want to game on it, and not just use it as an emulator (as they are weirdly forward about advertising) and media hub

I still plan to game for it but i'm also tired of how loud my xbox is. This would be a nice machine to use until the 720 comes out to replace my 360 this fall.

Still anything you develop for Oyua can also be put into the proper Google Play market.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

Slapshot

My Ouya unit is on its way to my house as I type this. It shipped from the production factory in China three days ago, so I've got my fingers crossed that I'll be gaming on it by next weekend.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

KAHN

i've heard that the early kickstarter OUYAs aren't very good. the selection of games is small there have been problems with some games. nothing that won't be fixed by the full-scale release. these are the early OUYAs, and the company said beforehand they'd be prone to fix all it's problems. me, i'll be waiting for the better OUYA later this year.

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

CanisWolfred

If I had room for this machine, I'd get it. I know that sounds weird considering its size, but that's how bad my space situation is.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

moomoo

I'm concerned about all the comments about controller lag with the early units. There's absolutely no way I can play video games with noticable controller lag. Then there's the wonky control sticks I've been hearing about. I'm hoping things improve, because the idea behind OUYA is very intriguing.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

shingi_70

The second next gen console launches today in the form of OYUA. KIckstarter backers still haven't their consoles yet which sucks. Only game that looks worth it is Towerfall.

So with this being probably going to be a failure I wonder how some developers who really got behind this for being open feel. Guys like DOuble Fine, Kim Swift, and the Towerfall guys must feel a bit bad in light of WIi U/PS4 easy to get dev kits and self publish on.

WAT!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.