Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 421 to 440 of 1,570

Haru17

Capcom showed off a short video containing hunting horn, light bow gun, switch axe, gunlance, long sword, and great sword gameplay at the SD Comic Con panel today. They explained that humidity would play a role in the environments as well as the usual temperature concerns. And crucially that they will be following up Comic Con with weapon trailers, perhaps similar to the ones Cross got leading up to its Japanese launch.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/6ovdol/sdcc_m...

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

zionich

It is looking good regardless of the overall changes and how they make me feel. Still day one!

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

pandarino

Looking so good! A true evolution for the series

Unacceptable!

Haru17

What they said about humidity is really exciting to me, because at minimum it means it won't affect gameplay but there will be some more ocean or river-side areas (adjacent, not under). And at the most it will affect monster pathing, spawning, and behavior in areas like the Ancient Forest's ocean shore.

Also, their comments about temperature returning all but confirm a tundra/mountain area and a desert/volcano one. The desert's hot during the day, cold at night dynamic could become really interesting with a fluid day/night cycle and temperature effects. Sort of like what we saw in Breath of the Wild's desert, except in that game you were never doing one thing for more than 5 minutes. With monster hunts lasting up to an hour, chasing a monster through the desert, I'm excited to see how that might make us change up our equipment strategy.

Maybe they'll make the crafting recipe for the drinks more attainable in each area, or maybe there will be a new temperature endurance system entirely. I didn't like just equipping a shirt and forgetting about it in Breath of the Wild. The more I think about a desert, the more confidant I am that one will be in World, especially given that tapestry globe that alluded to desert/ruins/volcano. I wonder how they'll separate the areas in a seamless desert / tundra map. They need to not be flat besides perhaps a central 'great desert' area with some dune-diving monsters.

I wonder if it can rain or snow in this game. I hope so...

Edited on by Haru17

meleebrawler

@Haru17 But you can do the same "equip clothing to forget about temperature" schtick in Monster Hunter too. Probably more viable now than ever before with the ability to change sets mid-hunt.

I heard 2nd gen (or at least Dos) dabbled a bit with humidity effects? It prevented barrel bombs from working, and whenever Daora showed up in warmer areas to cause storms, you had special lightning rod items to hurt it with. Of course, bombs have been water-proofed since Tri, so maybe humidity will affect elements instead? Also, it's always been raining and snowing whenever Daora appears.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haru17

@meleebrawler Huh, I never noticed that effect in 4. That would be nice to see in HD.

And it's interesting how Daora was treated in 2, I'd like to see some more unique monster mechanics for new beasties. The difference between Breath's gear and this is that, 1, no one really crafts the heat and cold resist skills in Monster Hunter because they can just drink a drink, and 2, you can't pause and equip different gear in Monster Hunter. I guess you could run back to the base camp now if you have the set already crafted, but I don't think anyone would do that unless the weather mechanic was really powerful.

meleebrawler

@Haru17 I'll give you the free switching, but the "just drink for it" argument can be applied to Breath Of the Wild too. The real reason clothing is preferred there is you rarely fight anything that would make you want to equip something more combat capable... so you just drink/eat for those benefits instead. The two games just have inverted priorities; Monster Hunter's is combat, BOTW's is exploration.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haru17

@meleebrawler Ehh, like 80% of Breath of the Wild is combat. I never said I minded just drinking a hot / cold drink, I actually prefer it to constantly opening the menu to change clothes whenever I wanted to climb a slope, fight a Lynel, go into the mountains... But the drinks aren't the most complex gameplay, so maybe there will be a more adaptive mechanic in World.

Maybe just day/night-dependent monster AI and hypothetical alternate weather conditions in certain maps would do add enough complexity to atmospheric management. Maybe drinks are gone and hunters have to interact with the environment to avoid temperature damage, who knows?

Haru17

@DarthNocturnal I dunno. I assume not the later because the monster would just eat the Popo with the hunter inside, but hunters coating themselves in mud to cool off would be awesome. I think WiLD is doing that and it fits with the ghillie mantle's natural camo theme. The only downside is it's a bit late to draw the parallel with Barroth.

CrazedCavalier
Hunting Horn, LBG, and SA gameplay. They'll be uploading overview vids for all 14 weapons in the next few days.

And now for the bad news: a week or so back they confirmed that the lack of blood during attacks is 100% intentional, with attacks instead chipping at the monster's scales. That just makes the game look visually dull when added with the dumbed down weapon effects and literally duller textures.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Joeynator3000

...People actually cared about blood? I could barely even notice it especially when using elemental weapons...

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

RR529

Maybe they were worried about it getting a higher rating if they included blood?

Even if the amount of blood & type of effect was the same as previous entries, the higher graphical detail/more realistic look of the game may have made the rating groups bump up the rating if it were included.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Haru17

@CrazedCavalier You're trying too hard with the buzz words.

Anyway, how about we get to the actual quote? The last thing I heard was that they wouldn't increase the gore from past entries to match the shiny new graphics, as well as blood being removed from the trailers like it is with any MH game.

Edited on by Haru17

Joeynator3000

They better not increase the Gore, 3 of them are enough.
sorry

Keep it PG-13-ish.

CrazedCavalier

@KirbyTheVampire Nope.
It's kinda sad seeing XX look so much more vibrant with more visual pizazz than the game releasing on superior hardware.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Haru17

Hey look: shiny flashy effects without blood. Since no one can provide a quote or a source, I guess we can only assume World's blood will follow the same path as past games with an on / off switch that is switched off in the trailers.

It's nice that they made the metal on hide spark effects subtler again in World after Cross dialed them up to 11 from 4. I liked the new effects in X, but they were like waaaaay too big and got in the way of looking at the game. World seems to strike a happy medium of keeping the effects small while still polishing them to be more detailed than what we've seen before in the series with the rocks thrown and little spark of light created at the point of impact.

Edited on by Haru17

Joeynator3000

Gen/XX was trying too hard to be like Frontier, lol

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Haru17

I was watching the new gameplay posted on the last page again and it looks like you can mount a monster by using the Switch Axe's discharge attack, stabbing the blade into the creature and dismounting with a burst that either stuns or downs the monster (hard to see). That seems like a smart way to add some aerial dimension to the weapon now that vaulting is wall-based. Before anyone says anything, either that discharge stab only mounted the monster by chance or they will have altered the gauge mechanic to balance the new mounting capability.

Haru17

Buzz words are things like "dumbed down" that paint any changes in a negative light as opposed to more specifically or accurately discussing their effect. If you want to convince people to dislike something, write better. Use evidence not assumed imperatives.

But damn you orthodox are bitter. It's a wonder you play games at all because they're all sequels, they're all different in minute ways. Stop expecting that everyone should hate the new game from the all of two monsters and one new area they've shown. Sequels are exciting, especially for series as typically unchanging as Monster Hunter. Gaijinhunter tries to be positive about everything because the small western Monster Hunter community doesn't need another YouTuber who hates a bunch of things. He and the Reddit community prefer 4 over Cross and Tri.

I like Tri most and prefer Cross to 4 while accepting that World could be better than all of them, just like I was hyped for 4 until I played it and the areas, mounting mini game, and few new monsters disappointed me. Opinions.

Edited on by Haru17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic