Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 141 to 160 of 1,570

CrazedCavalier

@Octane Capcom's 2017-2018 financial projections. There was a major unannounced game that was targeting 1.5 million sales. Considering MVCI is targeting a comparable 2 million sales, 1.5 million is very believable and lines up (Capcom got any other surprises for the fiscal year?). Heck, due to teases by the series' director and English VAs people were dead certain that it was going to be DMC5 (and due to Itsuno also having a key part in Dragon's Dogma, why I and others assumed World was just going to be a DD reskin).

@Joeynator3000 Actually, 3UHD ran at 45 FPS. Capcom rushed it and prioritized a 1080p resolution.
Oh, and judging how you're supposed to track and lure monsters (along with the base camp being set down randomly among fixed locations each time you start a hunt) I'd be shocked if monster cutscenes happen at all.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Joeynator3000

...Wait, really?...It looked...ugh, I don't know anything anymore. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
I actually want to play Monster Hunter on console. It's something I've been craving ever since MH3U.

Ya I wanted portable also (Which is why Switch was the best of both worlds) but I'm not a handheld exclusive gamer by any means. In fact most of my serious gaming is at home, on t.v. This is practically the only thing I want from a home console. It makes everything else Sony and MS announced seem irrelevant. This game here is everything I want from a video game.

And ya, I thought it had everything I loved ripped out too... then I learned otherwise. Everything I love is in, which is exactly why I'm now hyped through the roof

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH Though RIP flexing. Hopefully these charm points live on elsewhere.

I just want certain people elsewhere to shut up and some proper gameplay at this point.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

TheGameSquid

@NEStalgia
I do think that you're overstating things a little by saying time and time again that the PS4 is "dead" in Japan. There has obviously been a trend towards mobile gaming for years over there, but the PS4 still sold pretty okay-ish over there. Not great sales by any means, but still, the thing is selling.

Out of all consoles on the market right now, the PS4 is the second best-selling console last mont according to VGChartz (Not sure how reliable their numbers are). The current install base ranks 4.5B+ PS4 units versus 0.75B+ Switch units right now. In a year/in a few years or so, the Switch will have probably easily overtaken the PS4, but that's the stance right now.

In the end though, Monster Hunter World seems to have been in development for quite some time. During the largest part of development, the current Nintendo hardware was the Wii U. We all know they weren't going to put anything on the Wii U anymore.

So I think Capcom imagined MHXXS as a low-risk, super cheap (development cost-wise) way to make a system-seller for Monster Hunter fans, while attempting to take advantage of a worldwide audience through the release of a Monster Hunter game on the large global PS4 install base. What happens from there on out remains to be seen.

On one hand, I think the fact that they're doing a simultaneous worldwide release for MHW is a sign that Capcom is finally getting their heads out of their asses (and trust me, they've got it shoved quite a ways up in there). I find it ridiculous that they constant whine about MH not being a world-wide phenomenon, while at the same time leaving their global fans in the dark for month while they pray for a localisation of their games. The first step to success over here (btw, I totally consider MH to be successful over here, it's just that Capcom apparently doesn't), is to not treat your global audience as second/third-rate citizens.
And then on the other hand, when you realize that MHXX/MHXXS probably won't even make it out of Japan, you realize that most of these large Japanese gaming companies still don't know that the year is 2017 and that there is a world beyond the shores of the land of the rising sun. In all those decades, their attitude just hasn't changed. It's just mind-boggling sometimes.

I will say though, to all the people claiming that this is a "westernized" version of Monster Hunter: what exactly do you mean and where did you see those signs? Yeah, there are definitely going to be quite a few changes, but currently I think most things point to this being a Monster Hunter game through and through.

TheGameSquid

JaxonH

@CrazedCavalier
Ya, there's been a notable lack of gameplay for sure. But they're saying it's still meticulous, rewarding combat so... we'll see. I want to believe them.

What do you mean about flexing though?

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@JaxonH I play about 50% console/50% portable through the year. But MH is something that just really wants to be portable by its very nature. I played 3HU but I ended up playing 4 a whole lot more. I tend to like "mechanical" and "repetitive" games on a portable format to keep plugging at them, and story/narrative/movie games on console. MH is definitely that former camp. If we don't get the Switch ones localized I'm probably permanently done with MH with X being my last. It's just not a priority for me to prioritize my more limited VCR console time for it. Not unless it picks up a deep story somewhere. I have PS4, I might even get a Pro....I WANT to want 1X but half the non-Nintendo games I'm interested in will be on PS4 or are PS4 exclusive without much XBox exclusive to appeal to me. Between the completely excellent Switch library, and a number of PS4 exclusives including backlog since Switch launched just upgrading my PS4 graphics seems like the wiser bet. But there's only so much time to play games. Fixed location MH just won't rate for me. I'd have pre-ordered XX before the show ended though.

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia @CrazedCavalier Actually, they didn't give a number at all. See page 11, link below. They only said it was a ''major'' title. Their sales projections from the year before was 8 million total. 2 from Monster Hunter, 4 from Resident Evil 7 and another 2 million for Dead Rising 4. This year's projections would be of similar size; We've got 2 million for MvC, another 2 million for RE7 (since it released near the end of the fiscal year) and Monster Hunter without a number. It makes sense if they're targeting another 4 million to keep investor's happy. That's why they're releasing it this year, and probably just before the end of the fiscal year. Anyway, 4 million (or even 1.5 for the west) is good if it comes out just before the end of the fiscal year.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2016/...

Octane

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH You can drink potions while moving. So no flexing animation.
Also, it's thankfully confirmed that you can disable damage numbers.

@Octane Then where did the 1.5 million number that everyone on Neogaf was throwing around come from, if not financial projections? Eh, probably some unsourcable insider.
Either way, 1.5 seems far more realistic than 4 (considering there's what, only 4 million PS4s in Japan?).

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

NEStalgia

@TheGameSquid The PS4 isn't quite a failure, but I also think "ok-ish" is an overstatement. The numbers are really not very good. 3DS and now Switch numbers (accounted for pace) are good. Even that's shrinking. When you consider mobile dominance there, the only viable consoles have been Switch, 3DS, and PSP. Vita a little but not on the scale of PSP for some time. PS4 isn't much ahead of WiiU in Japan. WiiU didn't do well...PS4 just did not so well. So yes, I was definitely overstating it with an exaggeration....but the exaggeration is rooted in some truth.

We'll put it this way, if I was a brand manager for a game who's bulk audience is in one country and the sales numbers for hardware are what they are, the absolute LAST decision I would make is "hey, lets target home console only!" If I was looking at spreadsheets and chasing western audience money I might. But they've done that before and it hasn't gone well. If combat is dumbed down Japan will freak. If combat is not dumbed down, the west wont buy in in numbers for the same reasons the west didn't buy into MH before. Even on Sony.

It's a really weird decision. Ultimately though I'd have felt better about if if they simply switched from Nintendo exclusive to Sony exclusive. Fine they want another platform, the one they started on, etc. The whole setup of "every platform but the one it was on before, but here's a port of the old one for one country only for that platform" just looks really really really bad at a consumer level." It's better for Nintendo they did that, but it looks worse overall that they did. And if the rumor is true that Sony's in the business of paying companies not for exclusive rights but explicitly to deny access to certain companies......I'd be curious what Japanese law on price fixing and market manipulation looks like.

Edit: Honestly that rumor has me more tempted to buy an X1X than anything Microsoft's show did. Using the PS4 is going to feel kind of dirty now if true.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Oh, I love Monster Hunter more than any game Ice played in my entire life. I don't care if it's on handheld, console, or if I have to play it standing on one foot in pouring rain... there is nothing in the world that will come between me and this franchise.

In fact, there's no game I would not play just because it's not on handheld, or not on console. When I'm home I play on the TV, unless there's a game I'm super into on handheld and have no choice. Handheld is for when I'm downstairs, or at work, or anywhere other than in front of my TV.

But just like I'll play Fire Emblem Echoes and Metroid Samus Returns even at home because the games are too good to miss, I'll play a console game that's too good to miss also. Heck, it's no different than being on Switch aside from nothing able to take it with me.

There are some games that are just too good to miss. MH is one of those games. If I'm willing to play the game in a language I don't even understand, all because the game is so good, how much more then will I play a new, insanely awrsome entry on console. Good games are good games.

I'd rather play Monster Hunter on handheld than any other game on handheld or console, and I'd rather play Monster Hunter on console than any other game on handheld or console. There's just no game I'd rather be playing, handheld or console. And I don't care how upset I am about this not being on Switch, I won't miss this for the world. Absolutely nothing will stand between me and this game. Console, handheld... who cares

Edited on by JaxonH

Haruki_NLI

Given Switch isn't getting this or a localisation of XX....methinks the Nintendo ship has sailed on MH.

And people said the announcement of World wasn't the end.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

CrazedCavalier

@BLP_Software Things are looking just fine for Japan-- World is not going to do well simply due to the focus on portability over there.

World isn't the end of traditional MH/MH on Nintendo platforms-- for Japan. But yeah, things are looking... not so good for the West.

Haru17

Sheesh. Y'know, the 3DS wasn't holding Monster Hunter back — it turns out the fans were. There is so much whining and complaining here. Games switch platforms sometimes, and some of those times it's unexpected. Hasn't it occurred to anyone that Capcom realize they're not going to sell as much on console, and that the Monster Hunter team just want to make a console game to push the series forward? 'Cause that's what I see. Every 3DS MH game — and I'm talking about XX now — has come to the west months after the Japanese release date. Monster Hunter Switch isn't even out in Japan for another two months, so just be patient. I'm sure fifth generation will also come to Switch before long. May I also remind you all that there is an XX thread and the whole point of this one was to separate the discussion.

Anyway, some more interesting deets in that video, especially towards the end. Seems like some fancy bow tricks are back.

@CrazedCavalier Why is a description of the target camera worrisome to you? Gathering, shooting with the slinger, and using potions / etc can now be cone at walk speed, so what? It looks like monsters are more aggressive now, and there aren't anymore load screens to hide behind, so the change makes sense.

And on the heavy bowgun; "looked like it could always move slowly while shooting," "HBG machine gun thing seemed like a special mode, depleted a meter," and "HBG had many ammo types and traditional ammo switching mechanics." So it's mostly the same, with some added crawling and overdrive mode. Less rioting now please.

"Can use hookshot thing to repel down surfaces"

That is very, very cool. I'm not sure of the use since there is no fall damage, but we'll see. Maybe for attacking hovering monsters?

Finally, I lost wherever I read this, but I'm very excited for monsters having their own areas and dens within a map. Apparently some can only be drawn out by luring another kind monster into their area or visiting at certain times of day? That's excellent.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CrazedCavalier

@Haru17 He specifically described lock-on on top of target cam.
And I didn't mention any disappointment on the HBG info-- between that and the fact the GS can charge mid-air it seems they actually are taking inspiration from styles and arts, which I'm quite pleased with.
Less pompous dismissal would be greatly appreciated.

Haru17

@CrazedCavalier So they made a more fluid target camera, it probably won't save you unless it can switch between different parts of a monster. If you don't want to be dismissed, you need to explain your point instead of just vaguely assuming that any difference is bad.

And I directed the XX complaints to the XX thread for a reason — this game isn't the cause. It's been at least in planning since 3 Ultimate came out: definitely longer than Cross has even existed.

JaxonH

@Haru17
You've gotta be more understanding, instead of expecting everyone to be on hype overdrive. Fans didn't hold the series back. That was Capcom refusing to advance the series (granted they did super well on 3DS, the games looked so good even the Switch port was passable as a console game). I don't think anyone is upset it's changing platforms, people are upset because it's going to all platforms except Nintendo. Like saying here's this awesome game- everyone can have it except the people who've been playing MH games the last 10 years. And then the lack of XX localization is just salt in the wound (and they did now confirm they have no plans to localize). I'm confident a new entry is coming to Switch too, absolutely... but that's a ways off yet and people had their hopes up on playing MH on Switch rather soon. Now it seems everyone in the world will be playing MH except western Switch owners, be it Xbox gamers, PS gamers, PC gamers, even Switch gamers in Japan. That's a legitimate reason to be upset. Heck I'm upset.

The concerns about animation frames being changed is also legit. It's nothing that warrants writing the game off for, but listing it as a concern is not unreasonable. Until we see more, there could be cause for concern. Personally, I'm not too worried about any of these changed mechanics at this point, because so much of what I've seen looks immaculate, and they've shown this is a core entry demanding respect as one. I trust the devs, based on what I've seen thus far. That said, just because the game looks great doesn't mean every change will be for the better, and I don't think it's unreasonable to question some of these changes.

But personally, I'm 100% sold on this game now. I've seen enough, I've heard enough, I'm confident it will be everything I've been wanting and then some.

On another note, and not to bring up XX again, but I did just preorder the game from Amazon Japan. I need something to kill the time for the excruciating 9 month wait for World. I don't think it'll be as hard to play as it seems. I mean, hunts are color coded and one could just hunt a monster for the armor desired, then check for the set higlighted as purchasable. Mash buttons through text, all items have icons and... once you're out actually hunting Monsters it'll be the same game. Plus Gaijin Hunter has promised some tutorials for those importing which will help. Can also open up Generations on 3DS and use as a cross reference for a lot of things. And it'll be good experience just in case the next portable entry on Switch stays in Japan.

Although, on the matter of the next portable entry, perhaps Capcom asked for more RAM because they plan to make the next portable entry ground up, and while it won't quite reach the heights of World, it could be a happy middle ground between World and the status quo.

CrazedCavalier

...You know, it's damn ironic that I'm arguing with people saying basically the things I was 48 hours ago.

@Haru17 I'm allowed to be wary about stuff they haven't addressed. I'm looking forward to the game yet you're getting on me for voicing the slightest shred of concern.

EDIT: Gifs:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240793273&post...
Great Jagras stealing Ruddy's moves. Jagras also inherited the Jaggi's fear of fire.
And more details: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240796419&post...
Somebody better leak that stuff.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

Haru17

I'm just not really worried about Monster Hunter on Switch. I've had to wait for a game to come to PS4 plenty of times, like Rise of the Tomb Raider, or Inside. I'm not a fan of Playstation's building monopoly, but the three pages of this thread that got added since yesterday are pretty hysterical for a new video game announcement. Monster Hunter certainly isn't the only reactionary video game community, but it is part of the problem. Posts on reddit chronicles everyone freaking out about the target camera being added in third gen as well.

Regardless of all the people winging about the Switch not being powerful enough, Monster Hunter's first generation came to PSP. Dos came to PSP as well. Tri came to PSP in Japan, and later 3DS world-wide. Obviously fourth gen didn't allow precedent for this, but fifth will come to portable as well. All this about 'betrayal' is just campaigning about them building a better game that will only end up improving the portable experience. I take it none of you plan on dying in the next couple of years.

Anyway, about the actual game and not the browser-based text adventure we have going on here, I hope the Z-targeting system works for smaller monsters, because that has always been one of Monster Hunter's flaws. The combat is clearly designed to hit larger targets, so less missing would be appreciated there.

Thanks for the link: I'm beyond excited that Royal Ludroth is back in essence. I love all of the new effects and animations, though I'm mostly excited for the crazy new emergent stunts we will be able to pull off and discovering new monsters and ecological interactions when the game itself comes out. I really hope the default of every area is Moga Woods-style free hunt. Time limits feel so artificial and cheap anymore.

Which brings up a good point, do we think this game looks roughly final? Will it be delayed out of the fiscal year?

Edited on by Haru17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic