Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 301 to 320 of 1,675

NEStalgia

@MisterPi What I find amazing is so many people seem to think it'll be amazing. I'm not sure what about "let's take a classic and reboot it as something different" from the company that gave us XIII, in an episodic format, gives people a good feeling.

Episodic format alone either means: We want to make one $60 game into six $40 games, or it means "we have no faith in this project, just hope there's an episode 4 at all."

On a different note, I gave XV a spin the other day, just in the opening areas. It's weird. Batstuff weird. But it actually seems kind of cool. Maybe it's the stink of XIII wearing off.

NEStalgia

Voldemort807

Anyone else think Cloud’s hair in the remake trailer looks nothing like the original?

Voldemort807

Eel

Well for it to look like the original it would need to be ugly.

It's a good approximation. They just can't recreate the original ps1 hair and make it look natural at the same time. They need to adapt.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Voldemort807

@Yosheel Yeah no one’s hair can possibly stick out in strange directions like that.

Voldemort807

Dezzy

Voldemort807 wrote:

Anyone else think Cloud’s hair in the remake trailer looks nothing like the original?

Every version of Cloud after the original game has been pretty much identical. All they did is made his hair less spikey so he looks like an actual believable person rather than a Dragonball Z character.

That new model for the remake I posted looks pretty much the same as all of these.

Dirge of Cerberus:

Untitled

Crisis Core:

Untitled

Advent Children:

Untitled

Dissidia:

Untitled

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

The question I have about FF7 that I've never found a good answer to is:

Why did they make the Buster Sword into such a big deal in Crisis Core even though it played no meaningful role in FF7 at all.
It felt like they were trying to explain the significance of something that no-one actually thought was significant.
The only important thing about it was that it was used in all of the promotional material.

Dezzy

I wasn't curious at all. I thought it was just a common theme in this world that things had weird proportions. It matched the crazy hair and the silly character models.

Dezzy

@Yosheel

Yep. You can replace it within about an hour and then never use it again. Hence why it really didn't need any explanation.

The only thing about it that's consistent with Crisis Core is that you can't actually sell the Buster Sword at all. It's always stuck in your inventory.
At the time though, that wasn't because it was supposed to be an important sword. That was just because it was the sword they used in all minigame type things (like the motorbike chase) so they needed to make sure you kept it.
I imagine this is something they'll change in the remake. They'll change things to make it consistent with Crisis Core.

Edited on by Dezzy

Eel

Or a case of "we had to settle on a design because these are prerendered cutscenes".

Funny how Cloud has a giant sword, Barret has his giant armcannon, Yuffie has a giant shuriken. Tifa somehow got the memo wrong.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Dezzy

Started replaying FF5. It's the only game in the main series I haven't finished, except FF2, but that's too bad a game to make it through.

Think FF5 is definitely underrated though. It's a fun game, from what I've played in the past. Really great pacing for the story, if not quite as deep as others in the series.

Eel

I think FF2 is criminally underated and more people need to look past the weird leveling system and enjoy it for what it is.

Bloop.

Eel

It's just that I can't see why do people so universally hate the character progression system when it's so... Simple.

They do stuff in battle and they get better at it. There's no complicated slot management, no menus that go for days... Just a deceptively simple early final fantasy that introduced a lot of the series traditions.

You need to grind? Well yeah, but that's no different from every other rpg. You can actually just get by pretty easily without grinding too much.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Eel

From what I can tell most people just dislike the character progression system. I don't see much people complaining about other things.

You know, besides it being an early NES final fantasy and stuff. These were not exactly epitomes of programming.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Eel

Well, in battle you'll want to your mages to use spells as often as possible, it increases their spells and their mp and magic stats. So you'll be using magic in almost every battle anyway, there's no reason not to (specially once you learn osmose!).

Not sure about the HP thing though, I don't remember being stuck at low HP values in any file. Talking about healing in battle, I try to do that as much as possible, because I don't think your spirit stat goes up up from healing out of battle. So idk.

Weapon levels, I've noticed they tend to hit a plateau after a while if you stick around in the same areas for too long, but I've never been in a situation were my characters were doing too little damage.

The oldest version I've played is the GBA one.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

CanisWolfred

Yosheel wrote:

I think FF2 is criminally underated and more people need to look past the weird leveling system and enjoy it for what it is.

Except there's nothing else to enjoy. The world design is lazy, the dungeons are terrible, the storytelling is a relic of its time, quite a few of the graphics were reused (even in the remakes, they just reuse the graphics from that era's remake of FF1), and while there might have been some neat musical tracks, I found it hard to care when they were set to battles that were either frustratingly difficult, or over before you know it because it's so easy to cheese its systems to get insanely overpowered, especially with the obnoxious amount of random battles you had to deal with. Yes, that was a common occurance on the NES, but it was still a bad feature that only served to pad out the games.

I like the NES/Famicom versions of FF1 and 3, and I love all of their remakes, but FF2 was just not a good game. It was a rushed sequel that they threw out onto the market with the intention of striking while the iron was hot, for a series that they never intended to continue working on.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic