Forums

Topic: 2014: The Worst Year For Gaming I Can Remember

Posts 41 to 57 of 57

Inkling

pixelman wrote:

WaLzgi wrote:

pixelman wrote:

Only thing that could've made it better would've been Kid Tripp 2.

You should make Kid Tripp Boom!

I'm pretty sure it would Kid Tripp Bomb.

I'd buy it if it came to Windows Phone

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

TeeJay

This is the year that brought us the newest Smash Bros. Even if nothing else but 3rd party games were released that alone makes this the best gaming year

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

IceClimbers

TeeJay wrote:

This is the year that brought us the newest Smash Bros. Even if nothing else but 3rd party games were released that alone makes this the best gaming year

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Inkling

@pixelman pls do it I'd buy it in a heartbeat :3

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

Dezzy

Tainy wrote:

Is that so? I would have thought, that by now Europe ought to be biggest single market for videogames, by some margin even. I'm not telling, just asking.

Nope, europes behind the US and Japan in terms of the popularity of gaming, despite being the most populous of the 3 markets.
I would hypothesise that it's down to the fact that Europe's still largely a group of distinct political entities and infrastructures (which is strengthened by the language divides). That means that a company, say Nintendo, can't just say "lets advertise to europe". They often have to do it country by country (although the internet is slowly changing that). All of that extra overhead puts the european games industry at a financial disadvantage to the US, where the industry has just 1 set of systems in needs to exploit in order to maintain popularity.
So if you're in a part of the US where they don't play many games, you might be converted by seeing an advert on TV. Whereas if you live in Andorra, Estonia or Albania, chances are they won't even bother advertising to you. Therefore, no Call of Duty for Mother Teresa.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

AJ_Lethal

putting aside the great controversy (which will chug along for quite a while), 2014 was a dull year outside of Nintendo.

Broken as hell games (seriously Ubi, you crapped the bed like 3 times in a row, and DA:I for PC is infamous for cutting SSD life short because muh DRM) were pretty much a constant.

Edited on by AJ_Lethal

Ralizah

I like how everyone talks about Gamergate like it is Voldemort or something.

2014 was great for Nintendo and pretty much sucked for everything else. Good thing 2015 is looking to be one epic year for video games, Western and Japanese. Nintendo is getting some genuinely awesome looking games on both systems (XCX will likely end up being my GOTY), and PS4 will be getting games like Arkham Knight, FF Type-0, Persona 5, Disgaea 5, Metal Gear Solid V, Bloodborne, etc.

I'm sure Xbone is getting something, too. Most of the third party stuff. Probably another Halo.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

Yeah, Halo 5: Guardians and Ori are the only guaranteed exclusives Microsoft has thus far, with Quantum Break, Scalebound, and Phantom Dust being possibilities. Plus Skybox has a title set for this year, but we don't even have so much as a title just yet...granted, there aren't that many exclusives set for PS4 next year besides Blood Bourne and Uncharted, and maybe a few Japanese exclusives like Ys and Dragon Quest Warriors if they make it this year, with a few timed exclusives like Grim Fandango HD and No Man's Sky fluffing up their line-up as of this writing. Multiplats will be the stars of the show again.

...sorry, Shingi. I had to.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Jaz007

@Cansiwolfred I thought they bad The Order, From Dawn, and a few others.

Jaz007

CanisWolfred

Jaz007 wrote:

@Cansiwolfred I thought they bad The Order, From Dawn, and a few others.

I'm still pretending The Order doesn't exist. What the hell is From Dawn? I never heard of that. Sounds like a bad TV show.

EDIT: Oh, wait, Until Dawn. Which does indeed look like a bad TV show. Guess it still counts, though. I literally was just looking at a list of 8th Gen exclusives. Guess I missed those two...also, Microsoft has Crackdown, I missed that because it's still called "Crackdown" when there's already a game with that exact same name on the 360 that I already played ghgtdtgijkl why can't you name things Microsoft?!?!1112

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

@CanisWolfred

Hey i'm the resident Xbox shill round these parts.

Also this year

The State of decay remaster
Fable Legends
Scream Ride
Happy Wars
Below
Tomb Raider

Plus rumored are

Banjo and Kazzoie
Battletoads (Twisted Pixel)
Gears of War Collection (
A new Max and the Marker game
The Skybox game (I'm guessing its Rise of Nation new game)
Lionhead's new IP
Soho Productions
The new Kinect teams just formed.

Phantom Dust is a lock for this year however, what we know of is that its going to be probably be a digital only title and follow a similar model to Killer Instinct running on seasons (the seasons would be card expansions and story content in this case).

Scalebound is also possible due to the game being in a playable state but it and crackdown are probably 2016.

Also I think Until Dawn is purposely bad, since its playing up slasher film tropes.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

jump

Ralizah wrote:

I like how everyone talks about Gamergate like it is Voldemort or something.

THE CONTROVERSY wasn't Gamergate, it was the far worse Flappy Bird!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

sinalefa

In 2014 I played Bayonetta 2, Scram Kitty, Siesta Fiesta, Yumi's Odd Odyssey, and if I had a One I would have gotten Sunset Overdrive. That is a lot of fresh, interesting games.

Now, if you went for the hype for the Western Third Party AAA games, I can understand the disappointment. I think I just bought two PS3 games that were released in 2014: Wolfenstein and the Evil Within. But I heard Far Cry 4 is pretty good. I am grateful for my Wii U and my PS3 backlog.

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

SheldonRandoms

I guess in a nutshell, this year was like a roller coaster, it had it's ups and downs.
Untitled

But I think this was a good year still I guess >: U But not perfect cause my daring Flipnote Studio 3D is nowhere to be seen!!!

Played many swelltasic games as well, and even made sprites for 2 (helped with one other one with my sister) characters in a iOS and Andriod game.

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

coad

There has been some instance this year year where i've spent $60 and came out of it scratching my head.

Destiny was one game, where I realized I'd be doing the same thing over and over again with zero story. If I realized the beta was all there was to the game, I would have never thrown money to the wind.

Infamous Second Son was another. Very repetitive and soulless. Put it down halfway through.

Dragon Age Inquisition which is a GOTY contender had the worst filler quests i've ever seen. Rather ruining some of the most beautiful environments in an RPG. Ultimately made me put the game down for a bit. I'll have to regroup and just do story parts I guess.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze made me realize I just don't like Donkey Kong games.

Shadow of Mordor which is GOTY contender for most publications, was just a decent preview for what next gen can do in terms of environmental impact. The game itself was just an Orc murder simulator, and the lack of variety bored me once I got to the second area.

I mean, if two games on my 'eh' list are GOTY contenders, either i'm really picky (I don't think I am), or 2014 was pretty darn lousy. I did have some fantastic gaming experiences though.

*GTA V on PS4 was amazing

• Captain Toad, Mario Kart, Bayonetta have been a blast.
    Warlords of Dreanor is a great WoW expansion.
    Far Cry 4 despite just being Far Cry 3 is a lot of fun

Current Systems: PS4, Wii U, PC with GTX 970.

kkslider5552000

I will say, random interesting thing. I always felt Nintendo's stuff (and games on Nintendo) in 2004 had a lot of disappointment, like very consistent disappointment. Because of childhood and personal preference or the like, even for games that are otherwise excellent (Prime 2 is a great game but it had no chance to live up to the first). I mean, honestly half of the disappointing games were actually legit good but they still did not live up to previous games for me. It was incredibly consistent at doing just that. Though it's entirely likely this was me finally having taste and an understanding of not everything ever being the best entertainment ever.

It's just interesting that the last year that had a notable amount of disappointment was exactly 10 years prior.

And that year was way better (even ignoring that AFAIK other companies didn't fall as much into this bizarre situation for a year), simply because I did not have to think of companies using their games as gigantic showcases to how pathetic they are. I think I have to straight up ignore a lot of AAA games nowadays because the worst parts of AAA corporations are just seeping into the game to such a degree that, even if I never paid attention to the internet about the game and just played it without knowing anything, it's impossible to ignore. I tried playing Resident Evil 6 a few months ago and it is not the most dreadful gaming experience I've had in a long time because it was the worst game (if nothing else, the gameplay mechanics in the one campaign I played were fine). It's because every bit of pathetic overmarketed, samey, pandering, useless, creatively bankrupt garbage was in the game. As someone who has been way kinder to AAA gaming than a lot of people quite honestly, I'm worried that these companies no longer even care if their awfulness ruins their own games. I don't think the people who played Assassin's Creed Unity can magically pretend Ubisoft aren't being ***holes.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

IceClimbers

Destiny was the best puzzle game of the year - still trying to figure out it's story!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.