Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 1,302

Reynoblade

@Dezzy
Octopath Traveler also passed the 2 million mark I believe.

Reynoblade

Dezzy

@Shulkalot

Oh yeah I forgot that did so well!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

link3710

@Dezzy Would you consider Fire Emblem a JRPG? Not sure if the top down tactical ones are really the same genre or not, but Fates, Awakening and Three Houses all broke 2 mil.

Also, one I'm more certain of even if it wasn't produced in Japan, Undertale is a classic styled JRPG, and that was well over 2 million sales (I heard estimates put it at around 4 mil between GoG, Steam, Switch and PS4?).

link3710

Dezzy

@link3710

That's why I said "traditional JRPG", because I was deliberately trying to avoid including Fire Emblem. I do think that has a very different sort of appeal from something like Xenoblade.

To be honest, you'd have to say neither FF15 or FF7 Remake are traditional JRPGs either.

I never got round to Undertale. I thought it was a bit more of a kind of quirky subversion of the genre rather than an actual JRPG though?

link3710

@Dezzy It's basically a fusion of Earthbound + Moon, with a dash of Touhou? If you consider those Earthbound and Moon JRPGs, then I'd say the same for Undertale.

link3710

Dezzy

@link3710

I've played Earthbound for like 10 minutes and no idea what those other 2 are, so not the most helpful comparison!

link3710

@Dezzy Moon is coming to Switch this month, you should try it out! It's called the "anti-rpg" in it's tagline.

Touhou is the seminal Shmup bullet hell game, you don't need to know much more than that.

link3710

Cynas

I wouldn't really consider Undertale a JRPG. It doesn't have a lot of the typical JRPG elements, like party management, and it has a very small pool of stats (just HP, attack, and defense) and equipment compared to most JRPGs. Most importantly the combat disguises itself as a traditional turn based system, but in reality it's more of a bullet hell minigame than anything. The game doesn't originate in Japan either, and while I don't think it needs to originate in Japan to be considered a JRPG, it doesn't seem to be heavily Japanese inspired. Overall the JRPG genre definition is pretty loose, so maybe some people will disagree.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Dezzy

@Cynas

Oh god I must've had that debate like 5 times.

For the sake of argument, I use the term JRPG as a description of style, not a description of national origin. Dark Souls is an RPG made in Japan, but it's not a JRPG.

It's like English Muffin isn't just any muffin in England. It's a very specific type of muffin that could be made anywhere.

Dezzy

@Slowdive

There's no reason to ever point out what country an RPG comes from. That would a completely meaningless term unless it corresponds to something specific about it.

No-one would ever say "I played this amazing Canadian shooter the other day". People would immediately look at you like a weirdo. Like what relevance has Canada got to do with the shooting genre. It's a meaningless piece of information unless it corresponds to something about the game itself.

link3710

@Dezzy If it helps, I fully agree with you. A JRPG simply refers to the style of game, just like New England Clam Chowder or Chicago Deep Dish refer to specific styles of food, or Texas Hold'em refers to a specific class of card game, even with varients of it created elsewhere.

link3710

Tyranexx

Dezzy wrote:

Finally got sales figures. Xenoblade Definitive Edition has sold 1.32 million so far:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/switch-worldwide-sales-top-61...

So that's pretty much identical to how Xenoblade 2 was selling at a similar point. I'm guessing that will be considered pretty successful given that it's a remaster of an old game, and likely more profitable than Xenoblade 2 as they didn't have to create it all from scratch.

You'd think that would be enough to justify a XCX port as well, although I guess that depends on whether they have any spare staff to work on it.

Nice to finally see some solid numbers. I agree that these are pretty decent figures considering that XC: DE is 1. A remake and 2. A JRPG. As much as I would wish it otherwise, JRPGs and heck, many normal RPGs seem to be pretty niche when compared to other genres.

Still haven't beaten XC: DE by the way. XD Took a break for about a week and then got back into it this past weekend. I believe I've reached the final point of no return before things REALLY get interesting (I believe I'll be fighting Dickson next), but I want to clean up some quests and other loose ends first. I finally finished upgrading Colony 6 last night; those last few elements were a pain since those enemy types in this game are worse than wild Graveler and Voltorb in Pokemon.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Tyranexx

I finally beat this game this past week. That ending...was...AWESOME! Some of it took a bit of digesting (particularly the origins of Zanza/Klaus, Meyneth, and Alvis), but overall that final sequence after the final point of no return was really well done. I still think Dickson went a little tsundere at the end, or at the very least wouldn't admit outright that he felt something for the crew. Or maybe it was all pride. Either way, his death scene was one of the best I've seen in my gaming career. It did take me a bit to reach the finish line, but I wanted to finish Colony 6 and also do a majority of the late-game quests before moving on; needless to say I was pretty overleveled for the final parts of the game, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment at all.

This game is, without a doubt, up there in my GOAT list, should I ever bother to actually make one. XD Seriously, what was Nintendo of America thinking? Without Operation Rainfall, a good chunk of the planet would never have laid eyes on this masterpiece. Funny how things can change in the span of ten years or so.

I'll be putting up a better outline of my impressions in the Games You Recently Beat? thread (hopefully) later, or at least within the next few days. I'm taking a brief break before playing through Future Connected (after slightly over 100 hours, I need it!), but my plan is to tackle that before long and evaluate that separately.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

RR529

Just started this tonight. A bit overwhelming at first, but I'm sure I'll get into the groove quick enough. Loved my time with XC2 & Torna & the progression/systems in this do seem very familiar (naturally), so I'm sure I'll acclimate to it soon.

Based on the other two Switch games it's undoubtedly my favorite "modern" Nintendo IP.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

urrutiap

been playing little bit of Xenoblade earlier today. beat the big spider boss and it was pretty easy even though the stupid sword future vision thing got in the way once or twice. besides that the game is pretty good even though leveling up is kind of different than what im used to from the old final fantasy games and legend of legaia

urrutiap

Dezzy

@RR529

I would've thought this game was less overwhelming than XC2. It's generally a simpler game, and less to keep track of.

RR529

@Dezzy, oh, I'm more talking about the scale of it all, rather than the complexity of the mechanics. Even the first area is just so big, lol (the largest scope JRPG I've played in recent memory was XC2 Torna at the start of the year, and that had much more focused areas comparatively. Other than that it's been FFVIIR, KHIII, Tales of Berseria, & Trials of Mana, which generally don't have a lot of wide open areas).

Anyhow, I've been doing a lot of quests around Colony 9 this morning just getting into the groove & acquainting myself with the area.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

TheFrenchiestFry

@RR529 FFVIIR was actually more linear than I was expecting

I loved what they did with the Wall Market area and Chapter 3, but it definitely gave me FFX vibes

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

SKTTR

I started Xenoblade Chronicles - Definitive Edition on Switch a few days ago (having completed it on Wii 10 years ago).
And it's great. The Satorl Swamp, Makna Forest, Eryth Sea, etc. have not lost a bit of their magic and beauty.

The new quest markers are awesome, now you can find mission based enemies, items, and points of interests easily! This isn't going to take 200 hours to complete anymore because the new map features help a lot finding just about everything.

There are some other nice features (like the extra story I will get to once I complete the main story), and a new EXP store mode (like in Xeno 2) which I now have always on.

Also the menus are much easier to navigate, you get great rearrangements of most tunes (the old versions are still there optionally), and much better graphics all-round (not quite as good as Xeno X / 2 / Torna, but a huge boost for Xeno 1).

This is clearly a definitive edition with a lot of thought put into it. The remastered HD graphics, reworked music, and especially the new QoL features make it fun to play through again.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

TheFrenchiestFry

@SKTTR Menus being easy to navigate is such a hilarious plus when you consider how cluttered and overwhelming the UX for Xenoblade 2 is by comparison

That game lowkey requires you to be an expert at calculus to know how to swap out a blade or use a skill tree

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic