Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 69,041 to 69,060 of 69,963

FragRed

@Magician Maybe we just see more physical releases make use of partial on cartridge and most via download. With more and more consumers going in the all digital route anyway, is there a point in R&D larger cartridge sizes?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

This gives me hope for Arkham Knight running well on the Switch:

It could be that work on the Switch version helped improve the other versions.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FishyS

Embracer sure is a big 'ol blob. I wonder what the picture would look like if they added extra dotted lines where one company doesn't own the other, but they are legally and logistically intertwined, like Game Freak with Nintendo.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

skywake

Magician wrote:

Edit: Seems the XtraROM tech in Switch cartridges is a fancy word for MLC NAND flash memory?

Not really, also kinda. They are NAND but saying they're NAND is not super descriptive, NAND just means that the circuit is designed to optimise read speed and capacity at the expense of random performance. Which makes sense because you're going to be running the game from RAM. It's NAND sure, but I would guess everything since at least the DS has been NAND

As I understand it Switch cartridges are ASIC ROMs. Effectively printed to order and the bigger your order the lower the unit cost. Which would mean that the thing that makes large cartridges expensive isn't so much that they're large. What makes them expensive is that more people are making digital purchases these days

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Magician

I feel my Switch-physical-collecting desire sort of winding down. I look at Gamefly frequently for upcoming releases and I find myself noping-pass the bulk of upcoming releases. I'm preordering fewer and fewer games, with most releases being relegated to the wish list. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's time to shift into clear-the-backlog mode.

The winds of change are blowing.

Untitled

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

StuTwo

@Magician of course you realise the games being released at the exact point you and people like you give up buying is exactly the point that the games that go for ridiculous prices 20 years down the line are released.

Like how many people nopped on Gimmick or Duck Tales 2 before they realised what they’d done as they became “discovered” a decade later.

Just saying…

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

rallydefault

@Magician
See, I'm just kind of getting into it.

I'm an old dude who now regrets not holding on all of my old games and consoles. I had a heck of a Gameboy collection when I was a kid, and now it's all gone to some yard sale years ago. Same for my NES, my SNES, my N64... makes me upset just thinking about.

And not from a purely money standpoint (though I'm sure all of that stuff would easily be in the tens of thousands right now - I had some really neat games and peripherals from the 80s and 90s) but moreso a standpoint of still being able to play them and enjoy them.

Anyway, I've been physical on Switch this whole gen, but now I'm sweeping back through and trying to get some stuff that came out limited release or wasn't physical at launch when I really wanted to play it (Stardew, Yooka Laylee, Hades comes to mind immediately). And I'm definitely getting a Lite before those things stop production and probably a fresh pair of Joycon for the future (but maybe those will be the same on Switch 2).

rallydefault

Fizza

@Grumblevolcano Oh they're 100% releasing it on the 4th anniversary of New Horizons, calling it now.

As for the sets themselves, they look pretty fine, though I do wish they had a bit more complexity to them (Nook's Cranny presumably just being the entrance and sides is pretty disappointing). The minifigures look fantastic though and it'll probably be a fun build all the same.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Fizza

I don't think I've ever seen a corpse get resurrected this fast before in my entire life.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

FragRed

@Fizza People in the comments are saying this was a Stadia exclusive. Didn’t know Stadia had exclusives, or that enough people used it to fill a single lobby on a 64 player battle royal Pac-Man. I learned something new today.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

FishyS

@FragRed Stadia had a few good exclusives; honestly the only thing which made it even slightly tempting. Super Bomberman R online was Stadia exclusive also for awhile before it eventually came to Switch... and then was shutdown last year.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

SpoonySpoons

My Nitro Deck came in today. Despite some concerns I had from the NL review, its quickly grown on me. Its fairly comfy and lightweight, and the joysticks feel great. Only real concern is the bulkiness towards the back. It does make it a little hard to grip around the back L and R buttons.

SpoonySpoons

Giancarlothomaz

i have a feeling if Princess Peach Showtime sell well(like 4/7 milions units) it could incentivize Nintendo to do more franchises focused on Mario characters, Princess Peach Showtime could be a start of a franchise dedicated to Peach, just like Luigi Mansion is a franchise dedicated to Luigi

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

GameOtaku

@Kermit1
Yoshis Safari!

Strange that Bowser hasn’t gotten his own starring role in a game out side of a party member in an rpg.

GameOtaku

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic