Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 50,741 to 50,760 of 70,160

porto

Northwind wrote:

Very recently, I have described the experience of playing BotW to a friend as 'long periods of extreme boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror, but in a good way'.

Best analogy ever. But for me, it's really just boredom. In general. The nice moments where you fight baddies don't make up for the sheer lack of pace.

Edited on by porto

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

toiletduck

N00b question alert: could anyone explain to me in a few sentences what the main difference is between MH Rise ans Stories 2? E.g. in terms of gameplay, story... Cheers!

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

-Green-

Stories 2 is a spin off game set in the Monster Hunter world that focuses around Riders rather than the titular Hunters and will feature a more expansive narrative. So instead of being centered entirely around hunting and killing monsters to acquire increasingly better gear, like you do in Monster Hunter Rise, Stories focuses more on finding and bonding with the monsters and having them fight alongside you.

We don’t know exactly what the gameplay of Stories 2 is but it will likely be a turn based RPG, while Rise is an Action RPG.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

toiletduck

@-Green- thanks! I'll probably keep my eye on Stories 2 then. It seems like Rise is a bit too repetitive for my liking.

toiletduck

JaxonH

@toiletduck
MH Rise will not feel repetitive, just FYI. While it is true you may take on a hunt several times the game never forces you to do a hunt more than once. You will fight different monsters in different environments with different objectives. And because it’s so skill-based and there’s so many variables at play no two hunts will ever play out the same way. Every single hunt feels completely unique and completely different. Even when you’re hunting the exact same monster in the exact same quest it feels like a different experience.

It’s not like other games where you just go through rote and routine motions. In main line monster hunter every single moment of the fight is exciting, thrilling, and heart pounding. and the new games, ever since World, have drastically reduced the amount of grind needed to craft armor. In the old games you could easily hunt a monster 10 times. But in World, you could hunt a monster three times and have their entire armor set. Sometimes it may take an extra hunt or two, but it was still way less. And each of those hunts felt individual, Because the dynamics at play in a fight vary so much. You could win one hunt and then cart the next. The thrill of MH is in the boss fight of hunting the monster. It never gets old- i’ve put over 2000 hours into mainline MH, and there’s not a game in the series I’ve put less than 400 hrs into, except for World. But that’s because it was more streamlined, as this one will be.

Point being, it’s not repetitive in a sense most people expect. It’s really not. You will rarely feel tired like you’re doing the same thing, in the traditional sense of “repetitive”. And if you do, you simply move onto the next quest and hunt a different monster.

I’m not saying it’s 100% for sure a game for you. Maybe it’s not. But the game is so incredible, and I say this as someone who absolutely detests repetition in games, But I really must implore you to consider MH Rise, at least if “repetition” is what you think will kill the experience.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH You can almost guarantee that Capcom will release a demo for Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2 (they did it with MH3U, MH4U, Generations, Generations Ultimate and Stories).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
That’s true.

And if it’s anything like MH World’s demo, it’ll actually do a great job of getting people into the game. Previous MH title demos just turned people off because, there’s so many mechanics it play and you’re just thrown into the mix and told to hunt a monster. The demos for previous games were really for veteran hunters to get a taste.

And that’s still true to some extent now, but in the World demo, they did a much better job of easing you into the hunt with a monster new players won’t struggle with, and with smoother movements and General improvements all around (what people refer to as QoL) it actually drew a lot of people in, rather than turn them away. Not that you can grasp all of the mechanics in a demo, but at least it conveyed the appeal. The fact it was online by default helped, because new players automatically had other people to help them out and carry them.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Disgaea 6 Limited Edition is live on NISA Online Store.

https://store.nisamerica.com/disgaea-6-defiance-of-destiny-li...

Giancarlothomaz

@toiletduck Monster Hunter Rise is a mainline Monster Hunter game built specially for Switch on the foundation of Monster Hunter World, Monster Hunter Stories 2 is a sequel to Monster Hunter Stories a spin-off of the Monster Hunter franchise released on 3DS in 2017.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

Giancarlothomaz

@Grumblevolcano that very likely to happen, Capcom will make a demo of Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Story 2 on Switch eShop, and take feedback from the demo to improve the games even more, Capcom want all future mainline and spin-off of the Monster Hunter franchise to suceed like Monster Hunter World, we remove the tedious aspect of Monster Hunter, so you can enjoy hunting and capturing monster in our Monster Hunter built specially for Switch.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

Giancarlothomaz

we are nearing the end of septembre and still Nintendo have not told us when the upcoming Fall update for the game is avaliable, if Nintendo don't reveal when the upcoming Fall update for the game release next week,that means the Fall update for Animal Crossing New Horizons will become available in octobre 27th.

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

toiletduck

@JaxonH @Grumblevolcano @Giancarlothomaz thanks a lot for your input guys!

@JaxonH I knew I could count on you for a decent enthousiastic text wall what you're saying about the demo of Generations on Switch was definitely true for me. It was too overwhelming and I wasn't that impressed with the visuals and controls. Then there came the next game... you know how things can go in Switch land.

toiletduck

JaxonH

Plus World let you buy weapons and armor that could at least get you through the main campaign story. It wasn’t the best armor and weapons but it was good enough. Once you’re actually playing the game though, you’ll realize the hunts are so fun that you actively want to farm a monster to make their cool armor set.

World also added in a special armor/weapon set that was way OP for getting through low rank, probably for those who bought Iceborn on PC and wanted to hit Master Rank as fast as possible.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

You know what I just realized?

That Ori Collector Edition actually contains BOTH GAMES! A Separate case and cart for Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

That’s so rad! I thought it was just the second game but nope, it’s both!

Tangerine

I wonder if we'll get a UK release of the two ori games?

I'm more hopeful for a cup head physical release for the switch now.

Still waiting for hyperlight drifter physical too!

At least stardew valley, sayonara wild hearts and untitled goose game are all releasing within the next month or so!

Tangerine

Grumblevolcano

@Tangerine Cuphead Switch physical release was announced before the game launched on Switch. The announcement was that a physical version would happen when the DLC comes out.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic