Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 24,441 to 24,460 of 70,082

Grumblevolcano

@YummyHappyPills So pretty much every big 3rd party multiplatform port for Switch is being published by Nintendo? That's problematic...

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dogorilla

Why is it a problem if they're published by Nintendo?

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Haruki_NLI

@Grumblevolcano I don't know if its only the physical release (Because lord knows we get gipped on that here in the EU), but Bandai is publishing the other versions both digitally and physically, and this is only in Europe for now.

So I'm willing to guess that this is a case of Bandai doesn't see the EU Switch base as big enough to be worth it, so Nintendo steps in. Just like with other games worldwide have to be published by Nintendo or we wouldn't get them.

If its just the physical EU release maybe its Nintendo footing the bill for them.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@Dogorilla Because it means the actual publisher is not willing to and Nintendo has to step in to make it happen at all. But I can see why, if the game cards are too expensive. If Nintendo publishes the game, I think that means Nintendo is paying for the game cards.

Octane

Dogorilla

Ah I see. Yeah that doesn't bode well for third party support, but at least Nintendo is doing what they can to get the games released.

Funky Kong

FragRed

Where do people hear about the situations when Nintendo publishes third party games such as Dragon Quest Builders and now Dark Souls? The game cases don't seem to indicate Nintendo publishes the games do they?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Dogorilla

Do all Micro SD cards work ok on the Switch? Are there some that are better than others in any way?

Funky Kong

Octane

@darkfenrir The box says Square Enix. Nintendo's own website isn't the most reliable source. I believe there have been instances in the past where they stated they were the publisher, but the name 'Nintendo' was nowhere to be found on the final box cover.

Also note that the number of players is ''To be determined'', and it got released today. How can you not know how many people can play the game if you're the one publishing it?

Octane

skywake

chucknorris078 wrote:

Yes Sony does do this... but they release current generation games for their systems... I don't want a Nintendo classic... My Subscription for plus is paid for in the first month if you add up the cost of all the games and you own all three systems (PS4,PS3,Vita and VR) With Nintendo charging 20 bucks and giving you a game that costs no more than 5 bucks they are no where near the level of what Sony or Microsoft are offering.

What you're saying doesn't make much sense at all to be frank. With Nintendo charging a third of what Sony and Microsoft charges if they give you any software as part of the deal it's a better value. Even if the online is super average I'd be very happy paying what amounts to ~$1.70/mo for access to a now paywalled online and a SNES/NES game added to my library every month. Especially when they're now also giving us (small) rebates on purchases AND that fact that there is always some retailer around me selling various gift cards, including eShop cards, for 20% off.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Haruki_NLI

@skywake + the network doesn't go down 4 times in 2 weeks...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

skywake

@YummyHappyPills
Not even that I don't think. We already know three of the things they're adding to the subscription other than the online itself. We're getting cloud saves, online versions of classic games and subscriber tier rewards (presumably through MyNintendo). I think that alone is worth the price they're asking if we're talking raw value. If their servers are also a bit more robust ontop of that and/or they offer something in addition to the above? Well that's just a bonus.

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Grumblevolcano

@skywake Do we know for a fact we're getting cloud saves? I don't think it's been confirmed yet.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

@Grumblevolcano
Well no, it's not confirmed. But the way Reggie has been talking about "backing up saves" makes it pretty obvious what's going to happen. It's a secret to everyone. Two examples, firstly on Kotaku when asked specifically about cloud saves:

On the risk Switch owners take that if they lose their system, they will lose their save files, which currently can't be backed up. Totilo: We at Kotaku have heard the feedback — and I've even worried about it myself — that the lack of cloud save and even the back-up option I can do with my 3DS [can cost people their save files if they lose their Switch] ... do you guys hear that message?
Fils-Aime: We do.
Totilo: Can you say that there's a solution coming?
Fils-Aime: I can't say there's a solution coming, but we do hear the message.

Then this from Mashable:

At that point in our conversation, he pointed to the recent Switch update and the added account transfer feature. It's a sign that Nintendo is working in the direction of a more user-friendly approach to save data.

"We're aware of the concern," Fils-Aime said. "Certainly, Nintendo is a consumer-oriented company [and] we want to make our consumers happy. We're aware of the concern and it's an area we're going to continue working on to make sure that we can alleviate some of those consumer fears of having a content-based issue."

Unsurprisingly, Fils-Aime wasn't willing to discuss any timeframe for such a feature. Though his explanation for why that is doesn't really add up.

"Because of the type of platform we have — it's something that is on the go as well as connected in the home environment — there are some added complications. It's not as simple as a piece of hardware that never moves and is always connected in an online environment."

Obviously some people are reading into that in a negative light as they do. But I think it's pretty obvious something is in the works that they can't talk about yet by the way he responded. If there was nothing in the works he wouldn't have elaborated. And in any case Cloud Saves is such an easy win they'd be stupid not to implement it.

IceClimbers

So a patch for Doom will release this month that fixes the audio issues and menu bugs.

Speaking of patches, the recent one for Rocket League brings the game's file size up to 6.8 GB.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

kkslider5552000

gcunit wrote:

What are all these digs at the Watch_Dogs engine for? That was a great game.

It was such a great game, it got entirely overshadowed by a graphical downgrade.

Also so great that there were like 40 used copies at my local Gamestop 6 months after release (this is completely true, I promise you).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

DOOM patch is real.

I thought they'd forgotten about it and left it as a cheap cash in with no post support. GLAD that is not the case. It's a great port but a few technical issues prevent it from being as good as it should be. It's a relatively minor thing to hold such a great game back that it would've been a true shame had they not put in the minimal effort needed to fix these issues that remain.

Good job Bethesda. And with the recent resolution increase with Rocket League, I can't help but wonder if they will be able to do the same for DOOM. If not then at the very least perhaps they can incorporate what they've learned into Wolfenstein 2

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Dang, whole bunch of NIS news about Y's VIII, Penny Punching Princess, Fallen Legion, Happy Birthdays, Longest Five Minutes and announced Labrynth of Refrain and Touhou Gensou Wanderer for Switch (finally... finally)

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic