Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 201 to 220 of 69,962

DekuOnion

One of the patents showed scroll wheels on the controller. Having LB/RB be clickable scroll wheels sounds incredible. It allows the RB/RB to also function as up and down. Your finger is now in command of 3 possible actions instead of one, so 4 additional inputs on a standard controller. I'd be sure Nintendo would have plenty of ways to make using a scroll wheel fun and intuitive.

Currently Playing: SMITE, ROTTR, Halo 5: Guardians (XB1), Xenoblade Chronicles X (WiiU), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 (3DS)

MarkyVigoroth

I once made a post expressing my disgust on people's thoughts on the Nintendo- NX:

http://markysheap.tumblr.com/post/126706451818

On why, look at the picture again:
http://www.product-reviews.net/wp-content/uploads/nintendo-nx...

Because the Nintendo- NX is going to work alongside current technology (including smart telephones, the 3DS, and the Cafe), the NX would not be a new console, handheld, or smart telephone. A console-handheld hybrid would be, at the very least, unlikely, because other machines do very much the same jobs that a console-handheld hybrid would. The 3DS and Cafe would still be relevant, hence Nintendo- would not be going 3rd party.

Me, the Nintendo- NX is supposed to be unifying our current technology, especially given how current technology is supposed to be unified according to the picture.

(I read a lot of Sean Malstrom, though...)

Actually, I like Bowser AND hairy bellies!

skywake

What about that picture? I mean people have made a lot out of that one graphic. But what would they have shown if the NX was indeed a home console, portable or something else entirely? Do people really expect Nintendo to be all secretive and then omit the thing that the NX is the actual successor to in such an image?

If they had not put the Wii U or Wii U on that graph we would know precisely what the NX is. If they had had just the NX we would have maybe thought the NX was replacing both. Having them all on there? Tells us literally nothing. Because all they're saying is that the NX is a dedicated piece of hardware that will sell alongside the 3DS and Wii U. Which was also true of the Wii/Wii U/3DS, Wii/3DS/DS, Wii/GC/DS, GC/DS/GBA etc, etc....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

cookiex

I'm pretty sure all that picture says is that the new membership service is going to encompass Wii U, 3DS, PCs, smartphones, tablets and NX. It doesn't say anything about NX being a successor or not.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

skywake

@cookiex: there was also this slide....
Untitled
and the associated text:

Iwata wrote:

On Wii U, we launched Nintendo Network IDs, which are abbreviated as NNIDs. This is the first step of our efforts to transform customer relationship management from device-based to account-based, namely, consumer-based, through which we aim to establish long-term relationships with individual consumers, unaffected by the lifespans of our systems. Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices.

As a second step, Nintendo 3DS became compatible with NNIDs in December 2013. Nintendo 3DS was originally designed for a device-based management system, so making it account-compatible at a later time meant that not all of its features were perfect. However, we feel that we have taken a step in the right direction as we now have a uniformly managed system in which we are connected with our consumers on both handheld devices and consoles.

Of course, when we do launch new hardware in the future, rather than re-creating an installed base from scratch as we did in the past, we wish to build on our existing connections with our consumers through NNIDs and continue to maintain them.

Edited on by skywake

DekuOnion

I'm under the impression it is no new membership, just a new rewards program. The slide above tells us they are sticking with NNID (there is no reason not to). It will function just like an Xbox gamertag which carried over from the original Xbox to the 360 to the One. What is unclear is in the other slide with all the devices it says 'new' membership service. I think this is just Nintendo again referring to the word 'new' as 'improved', and we will still be using our NNIDs.

Currently Playing: SMITE, ROTTR, Halo 5: Guardians (XB1), Xenoblade Chronicles X (WiiU), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 (3DS)

skywake

@DekuOnion:
Well sure, that's definitely what they're doing. But that's not what the discussion was.

The first slide was from the DeNA partnership announcement where they also announced that they were working on the NX. So they had a slide talking about what DeNA was going to build for them. Which included putting the NX on a slide alongside the Wii U and 3DS. Some have assumed that means that the NX is a "third pillar" that'll live alongside the Wii U and 3DS. I think it's just saying that NX, whatever it is, is also piece of hardware that's going to be linked to the new membership service. Which naturally will be linked to your NNID.

The second slide is an older slide talking about the same thing. Except this was before the NX announcement and before the DeNA announcement. So instead it just talks about hypothetical Wii U and 3DS successors and how they're all going to be managed under one NNID. It's literally the same thing being said. Essentially what they're saying is this....
Untitled

VanillaLake

How can you reproach everybody for speculating if it is all that you -and everybody- can do? Actually, your words are 99% speculation and subjectivity. Nobody knows exactly what the NX is and how powerful it will be. However, if what has been published is true, it is going to be some kind of hybrid hardware which will be both home console and portable, just what I expected it to be. In between, no way Wii U is half-portable as you can't leave the room where the Wii U is, unless you live in a house with paper walls, not to mention its pathetic battery life.

After a difficult 3DS start and a disastrous Wii U life, Nintendo has to prove many things to many people, their very fans included, in a market with plenty of gaming possibilities. I hope they stop acting like we have to be thankful for untouched NES roms at €5 each and HD remasters at €60 each, and start acting according to the world we live in. It's sad that Wii U had to be a failure for them to reconsider their strategies, yet still some fans say they are still great and doing better than ever.

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

skywake

@VanillaLake:
There's nothing wrong with testing people's theories and offering counter-theories. When someone says that it's a hybrid I'm going to question how that could actually work. When it's assumed that the NX is in response to the Wii U's lack of traction I'll ask how the NX will solve those issues and what happens in the portable space. When you say that they're rethinking their strategies I'll ask what proof you have that they're actually doing anything different.

And when someone points to this and says that it's evidence that the NX is a third pillar? I'm going to point to that other slide and then suggest that their plan is probably something like this but they didn't want to tell us what the NX is yet. You should ask for people to trash your theories, use that criticism to improve the theory. Because if you can't defend your theories then they're not very good theories are they?

Edited on by skywake

BigDrulez95

@skywake: Wow, I never thought about that. So basically, thanks to the NNID, the 3DS' 50M+ install base and the Wii U's 10M+ install base are unified into a 60M+ install base and it continuously expands from NX and beyond? Correct?

BigDrulez95

Mister_Wu

@BigDrulez95: Not really, a NNID can have both a 3DS and Wii U associated to it, so you shouldn't do the 3DS users + Wii U users count

Mister_Wu

skywake

@BigDrulez95: Kinda. The bigger point is that you don't have to create a new account for every new device you get. That's all they're saying in those two slides. Once before the NX announcement and once after.

VanillaLake

skywake wrote:

@VanillaLake:
There's nothing wrong with testing people's theories and offering counter-theories. When someone says that it's a hybrid I'm going to question how that could actually work. When it's assumed that the NX is in response to the Wii U's lack of traction I'll ask how the NX will solve those issues and what happens in the portable space. When you say that they're rethinking their strategies I'll ask what proof you have that they're actually doing anything different.

And when someone points to this and says that it's evidence that the NX is a third pillar? I'm going to point to that other slide and then suggest that their plan is probably something like this but they didn't want to tell us what the NX is yet. You should ask for people to trash your theories, use that criticism to improve the theory. Because if you can't defend your theories then they're not very good theories are they?

There's nothing wrong, just take into account and quote the whole post not just a sentence! Like I do. Your speech sounds sometimes like you think that everybody's wrong but you. I don't have any proof that Nintendo are rethinking their strategies but that's what they say when asked about Wii U, the tablet concept and all the things that did not work for them. I assume they have learnt from their mistakes. I hope so. Otherwise, they will be even lonelier next generation. No more fans to charge for obsolete ideas.

Peace...

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

Grumblevolcano

Don't worry, the NX is just a stability update! Same with Zelda U, the Club Nintendo replacement and Twilight Princess HD!

The evidence is in Monday's maintenance (as well as the past big maintenances since E3). It started off with the hype of Nintendo ID and eshop maintenance, then turned into standard online maintenance and finally into a stability update.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

@VanillaLake:
A few things. Before you accuse me of taking that post out of context perhaps you should read both my response and what was being said. It was claimed that the slide which featured the NX, Wii U and 3DS alongside each other was proof that:

1. "NX is going to work alongside current technology"
2. "The 3DS and Wii U would still be relevant"

That was the argument, read it for yourself. It's not a new theory and it's one that has been attached to that slide a lot. And I think that's the wrong conclusion. I explained why I think it's the wrong conclusion. What else were they going to put in that slide? Think about it for just a second and you'll get why I sound like I think "everyone's wrong but me".

Lets assume for a second that the NX is a home console. So what do they put on that slide instead of the Wii U, 3DS and NX? Do they put the 3DS and NX on it and leave out the Wii U? Well of course they don't. If they did they're basically telling us in black and white what the NX is! So do they instead show the Wii U, 3DS, NX and the "next portable"? Well no, that's doing the same! There's no reason why they would make that slide and it not be the Wii U, 3DS and NX. Whatever the NX is. That doesn't mean that the NX is not a hybrid.... but it certainly doesn't prove that it is.

So again I ask the question. How is the slide they showed that featured the NX any different than if they had shown this before the NX announcement.
Untitled
Because... they kinda did

edit: BTW, I don't think everyone is wrong. I only think the people who I don't agree with are wrong. If I think someone is right then I'm not going to question what they're saying. And on the other side if they make a convincing argument then I'll change my mind. That's how this works. If someone's not making a convincing argument? Well then its on them to make a better one. Just as it's on me to defend my opinions if I want to keep holding them. Your opinions aren't precious just as mine aren't precious. Poke holes in them, break them, if they can't stand it then they aren't worth holding

Edited on by skywake

Offspring

This is my vague three-point theory:
-NX is a family of systems (handheld and console) with a shared OS
-The console has a "standard" controller but the handheld can function as a gamepad
-Nearly shared library of games with cross buy/play/save

Bathe in the glory of The Offspring:
Smash
Self-Esteem
Gone Away

Fire Emblem is Nickelback.
I am the artist formally known as "insert ...

Nicolai

@skywake: I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain these kinds of things to people on this site (i.e. explaining what the original argument is, explaining what I didn't say, explaining that the purpose of refuting arguments is to challenge and grow the intellectual side of discussion and not to be personally offensive, explaining that speculation is speculation and I shouldn't have to explicitly say it each time). Not everyone is an offender of these, just sayin'

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

3DS_excel

I haven't read all of the comments or all of yours but you do come across as a know it all when no one knows anything for sure. It turns fun speculation into almost argumentative back and forth replies @skywake:

Anyhoo, I'm really looking forward to the NX, a handheld/home console hybrid sounds just like what the market needs. If it can play proper games home and away that is a big deal. As I posted on one of the main page articles though I hope they manage to get third parties back again as they are really missing now from the Wii U. I want to play FIFA again and almost brought a ps4 just to do so....that shouldn't be the case nowadays.

Mr Money In the Bank!

3DS Friend Code: 2664-2208-5483

skywake

3DS_excel wrote:

I haven't read all of the comments or all of yours but you do come across as a know it all when no one knows anything for sure. It turns fun speculation into almost argumentative back and forth replies @skywake

Just because we don't know anything doesn't mean every prediction is equally valid. There's no nice way to say it and maybe that's why some of you are freaking out about my "tone". But still, some of the theories people come up with aren't realistic. There are real limits on what is and isn't possible especially given how soon this thing is likely to come out.

When someone says that it could be a powerful home console? Well of course that's technically possible. As are the theories that it's a portable that's less powerful than the Wii U. Or even the micro-console theory even if it's hard to work out who's buying that thing. All of those ideas could work. Hell, even the theory that it's going to abandon disks and go back to cartridges, hard to see it happening but it could be done. And when people have suggested these ideas I haven't said anything.

But some ideas are pretty average. The one a certain poster keeps bringing up that they'd go back to magnetic disks like the N64DD. Or a hybrid console that's somehow competitive with the PS4 when you're at home. Or even more ridiculous something as capable as the PS4 that you can put in your pocket. Even the idea on the previous page where a slide explaining the deal with DeNA was somehow proof that the NX is a third pillar. Some ideas are worth challenging.

If people are offended by people disagreeing with them about what a piece of hardware we know nothing about almost surely isn't? Well sorry, but you just need to get over it. What else did you expect to happen in this thread? And why are you upset? It's just a game console.

Edited on by skywake

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic