Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 70,055

Therad

For me, it is really the portable part that bugs me. This is a function which will drive up the price of the thing, and I have no interest in portable gaming anymore. I have a hard time seeing this will be affordable enough to not go the same route as the launch of 3DS or Wii U. Not many people wanted to buy 3DS at $250 nor the Wii U at $300. This concept will probably be in the $300 range. Are there enough handheld gamers that want this for that price?

Therad

erv

@skywake I'm all for that. I hope we get the one library to rule them all scenario.

If the 3ds and wii U were the same system, even without the third party support, the system would thrive. I think nintendo wants to welcome third party but reduce business dependency on third party.

So, hybrid ?

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

FragRed

@dtjive Nintendo won't use the NX to promote Pokemon Go, or vice versa. In fact I'd be surprised if Pokemon Go was even a thing in most people's minds by the time the NX comes out. And not to mention that everyone already has it on the phones, there's no advantage of getting a £250 plus console that can do what they already did on a phone.

Also I'm sure Nintendo have said that the NX is not a mobile gaming device. They are constantly pushing the notion that mobile games and dedicated gaming devices will remain separate. And even if it did, again who is going to buy an NX to play the exact same type of games my every day phone and tablet can already do?

Those who play games on mobile devices play free to play for a reason, the majority don't spend a dime on the games. They do what they can in 5 minutes they're on the bus then that's it several hours until they have another 5 minutes at a bus stop etc. It's a totally different market.

I'm not sure if Digital Foundry and Eurogamer were told by their sources or if it's wishful thinking, but the way they're putting it forward is that they are 2 separate controllers not one that slots together. Or at least they can be used as 2, even if they are also made for single player experiences.

This whole thing is leaving us more questions than it has answered. And I just hope Nintendo has an amazingly good simple way to market this that doesn't send out mixed messages.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

GrailUK

@skywake Ok ok stop Mr Wake. This is still a rumour and you are giving me goosebumps thinking about gaming!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

GrailUK

@Therad You say you have no interest in portable gaming...but you honestly telling me if you are in to a game you wouldn't take it with you ever? Out of principle or something?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

I think one thing we can all agree on is that Nintendo needs to announce this thing soon. Because as it is it's not entirely clear how this thing will work and what it's capable of. When it was still just pure speculation that was one thing. But now we have some idea what it might be and.... the gaming media is running with that. Whatever their interpretation of it is. And it's not all good.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

@skywake probably going to be September.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Therad

GrailUK wrote:

@Therad You say you have no interest in portable gaming...but you honestly telling me if you are in to a game you wouldn't take it with you ever? Out of principle or something?

I didn't say that, but my 3ds is gathering dust, and this is because of the rise of smartphones. My kids have a 2ds, which they never use since they have tablets which can do so much more than a locked-in Nintendo handheld.

To be fair, I bought the 3DS to save on battery time on my smart phone. I was travelling much in work at the time.

If I buy this, it will be hooked to the TV 99% of the time. Why would I want to pay an extra $100 for a feature I won't use?

Edited on by Therad

Therad

FragRed

@skywake @WebHead I agree totally with what you have said. This leak is going to harm Nintendo more than anything if they don't make the official reveal soon. But I don't think they can wait till September, because as we know in today's world news spreads like wildfire across the internet and can easily and quickly get changed and misinterpreted so they really need to say something much sooner than whenever they had planned.

I am sure that Nintendo must be in a position to showcase enough of the games and device to make a reveal, especially as it will likely be a Nintendo Direct video though apparently it will be done through media sites.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Therad

If they have more than one form factor, then it is a different story. But as of now, it seems I will wait until it goes down in price a couple of years in the future.

Therad

Octane

@Therad I think that was one of the main arguments that was raised during the hybrid debate; It's great if you want both, but otherwise it isn't. If you just want a home console, it's going to be underpowered and it won't deliver the same experience that a regular home console can deliver and if you just want a handheld, it's going to be more expensive than what a regular handheld would've been.

What if this fails though? They have nothing to fall back on, except for mobile..? The rumour is just weird and I really hope that there's more to it than what we've heard.

Octane

WebHead

MCC says it will be pretty affordable and they're a big UK industry mag with good connections. Hmm.

WebHead

Grumblevolcano

For those wondering about Sonic 2017, don't forget PS3/360/PC vs. 3DS for Generations. In the case that the rumour is real, you'd potentially a similar situation (PS4/XB1/PC vs. NX).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

@Grumblevolcano remember to give this guy a badge of honor if this is indeed the nx. He's the one who said it would be a reverse wii u

WebHead

skywake

It seems their main concern is that portable and home console content is different. That's the issue that the Vita faced when it tried this. I'm not sure this will be an issue with a Nintendo system though. Most of their heavy hitters are games that have a solid place in portable gaming already.

Octane wrote:

I think that was one of the main arguments that was raised during the hybrid debate; It's great if you want both, but otherwise it isn't. If you just want a home console, it's going to be underpowered and it won't deliver the same experience that a regular home console can deliver and if you just want a handheld, it's going to be more expensive than what a regular handheld would've been.

It's not going to be all things for all people and it's not some magical device that's more powerful when docked. People wanted something that did everything and it won't be that. But as a portable it should be good and as a Nintendo platform it should be decent. It's just not going to be something we'll want to play GTA6 on (though neither were the Wii or Wii U)

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

I am continually astounded that people are able to simultaneously run around with their heads cut off and scream. True talent.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

WebHead

Btw, supermetaldave64 is very much against this lol.

WebHead

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Therad I think that was one of the main arguments that was raised during the hybrid debate; It's great if you want both, but otherwise it isn't. If you just want a home console, it's going to be underpowered and it won't deliver the same experience that a regular home console can deliver and if you just want a handheld, it's going to be more expensive than what a regular handheld would've been.

What if this fails though? They have nothing to fall back on, except for mobile..? The rumour is just weird and I really hope that there's more to it than what we've heard.

if it fails, they still can capitalize on their IPs and mobile. And worst case they can always go third party.

Therad

Grumblevolcano

Octane wrote:

If it fails then they could do portable only as their portables have always done well (not counting the Virtual Boy). Ditch the dock, drop the price and you'll at worst be seeing sales similar to 3DS after the 2011 price drop if the lineup is good enough. The home console side? It won't be that different from the 2nd half of this year on Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic