Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 12,361 to 12,380 of 69,981

TuVictus

Did they say that direct was going to focus on specific games and then also include that extra? If not, I'm not sure why this would be any different. The fact that they felt the need to qualify that it'll be focused on two games should be enough to know that they're saying "don't expect much else".

TuVictus

JaxonH

@Operative2-0
The fact that they felt the need to qualify that it'll be focused on two games should be enough to know that they're saying "don't expect much else"

Exactly.

When they say "Arms and Splatoon 2" they mean Arms and Splatoon 2. And a taste of immediate 3DS releases like Fire Emblem Echoes, since it did also say 3DS. They're basically telling us that as far as the Switch is concerned they are only talking about those two games. Although for something like virtual console, I would not put that out of the realm of possibility since it's a smaller announcement. But I certainly wouldn't expect it

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Peek-a-boo

@Operative2-0 I reckon we'll just see ARMS (is this usually spelt in uppercase letters?), Splatoon 2, both of their respective release dates as well as another little upcoming games showreel.

I shall be more than happy to be proven wrong (if there is more to announce) though!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

TuVictus

I'm thinking arms is going to be late may or early June with splatoon being late July or August. Can't wait to see more of Arms, it has some real potential to be a great new ip

TuVictus

skywake

Operative2-0 wrote:

Did they say that direct was going to focus on specific games and then also include that extra? If not, I'm not sure why this would be any different. The fact that they felt the need to qualify that it'll be focused on two games should be enough to know that they're saying "don't expect much else".

That one specifically? I think it was just promoted as general Nintendo Direct about Wii U content. But Nintendo doesn't exactly stick to the script with these directs. There have been a few times in Wii U directs where they slip in a 3DS game. There have been times when people go in expecting a reveal of something and we just get new trailers for games we already know about.

Anyways, when they say Arms, Splatoon 2, Switch and 3DS? I don't think they're going to limit themselves to just Arms and Splatoon 2. And given it's in that period before E3 I expect them to do a bit of pre-E3 housekeeping. Which will probably include stuff like Pikmin 3DS, Online Subscriptions, Virtual Console etc. So say a 40min direct with 10mins on Arms, 10mins on Splatoon, 10mins on VC/Online and the last 10mins split between 3DS games and random Switch indie releases. With the subscription service folded into Arms/Splatoon and the VC folded into the talk about indies and the subscription.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JoeDiddley

@skywake I'm hopeful that this is what we get too. Especially VC/online/anything that fleshes out the system a bit.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

skywake

@JoeDiddley
To be more specific, this is what I'm thinking we might get....

1. A new trailer for Splatoon 2
2. Explanation of some new game modes in Splatoon 2
3. More detail about release dates
4. A new trailer for Arms
5. Some more details about characters/weapons/modes
6. More detail about release dates
7. A new trailer for Mario Kart 8
8. Details about online features using Splatoon 2/Arms/Mario Kart 8 as an example
9. Maybe some details about My Nintendo Rewards for Switch. Probably just themes for now.
10. Virtual Console details tied into the talk about My Nintendo/Subscriptions
11. Indie releases for the eShop on 3DS/Switch
12. New trailer for Pikmin 3DS
13. One last thing .......

Edited on by skywake

FGPackers

skywake wrote:

@JoeDiddley
To be more specific, this is what I'm thinking we might get....

1. A new trailer for Splatoon 2
2. Explanation of some new game modes in Splatoon 2
3. More detail about release dates
4. A new trailer for Arms
5. Some more details about characters/weapons/modes
6. More detail about release dates
7. A new trailer for Mario Kart 8
8. Details about online features using Splatoon 2/Arms/Mario Kart 8 as an example
9. Maybe some details about My Nintendo Rewards for Switch. Probably just themes for now.
10. Virtual Console details tied into the talk about My Nintendo/Subscriptions
11. Indie releases for the eShop on 3DS/Switch
12. New trailer for Pikmin 3DS
13. One last thing .......

Putted like this it can be reasonable, but i don't think we will get all this stuff unfortunately. Glad to be proven wrong eventually. All i really want, without considering big surprises like something about DQXI Switch (considering today reveal), is Splatoon 2 date to be not so much distant in summer. Even if i think it will not be before July, i would love for it to be in June so that they don't even need space at E3 for Splatoon 2 and focus on other games

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

OorWullie

@skywake The N64 games are definitely most in need of a remaster but I would imagine out of all generations,those would probably take the most work.Not just the graphics but a lot of the gameplay,camera controls etc from that era are dated too.N64 remasters will probably only ever be limited to a handful of titles and sold at a higher price like LOZ:OoT and Starfox 3D were.I'm just making a guess here but I'd say giving 8/16 bit games a better resolution, widescreen and online play isn't too big a job and it's a one time job.The games themselves are fine and can be left as they were.Maybe having challenge stages added to every game is a bit of a stretch as that would take a lot of work but I do think there's going to be something similar for the monthly subscription games at least.Adding online play is a start but as said,there's not too many multiplayer games they could add it too.If this subscription service with a 'free' monthly game is going to stay around,then by the 2nd year they'll be struggling for games.That means there's going to be single player games featuring in the service,if there's not goinng to be new additions to the game like challenge stages what else can they really do other than leaderboards or time attacks.That alone isn't much of an incentive to play through them again for most people,let alone make it a focus of the service and convince us to buy them again when the month ends.The upgrade fee for those of us who've bought the games in the past will likely be higher too due to them having these additions which will no doubt annoy many.I feel there has to be more to than just this.

You do make a good point about the 3D Classics and why weren't they continued.Maybe because VC hadn't been on handheld before so selling the original games as they were with minimal cost to Nintendo was more profitable.But this is another generation on,surely they can't just keep releasing the same games as they were every generation and keep it as a big selling point of the console.

Speaking for myself,remastered classics would be a big selling point if I wasn't already on board.Mario Bros 3 is one of my all time favourites but I haven't even bothered to upgrade it on Wii U.If it was remastered to look as good as it's levels on SMM though I'd happily pay 7 or 8 quid for it.Same with Super Mario World,I actually did upgrade that on Wii U and played it a lot until SMM arrived but haven't played it since.If it was remastered though I'd be doing runs through it again 2 or 3 times a year.Of course this is just from my perspective and I can and do still play and enjoy the old games as they were but for them to continue to appeal to the younger generation,i think they need brought up to date.The gameplay and artstyle in that era though,16 bit especially is timeless.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Grumblevolcano

I think ARMS could do with a Splatoon Testfire type demo announced in the Direct. In its current position I get the feeling ARMS will end up more like Codename STEAM than Splatoon just due to Nintendo not getting that new IP out there for people to try out for themselves, it doesn't have to be that way though.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

@OorWullie
I'm not sure how you'd up the resolution of classic games. For N64 and later you can render at a higher resolution, framerate and level of detail. But for 2D games? Probably the best thing to do would be to render them correctly. That's it. Really, how do you make a sprite from SMB "high res"? Even Mario Maker just ran with the same sprites just on a new engine.....

realoliver9912

skywake wrote:

@OorWullie
I'm not sure how you'd up the resolution of classic games. For N64 and later you can render at a higher resolution, framerate and level of detail. But for 2D games? Probably the best thing to do would be to render them correctly. That's it. Really, how do you make a sprite from SMB "high res"? Even Mario Maker just ran with the same sprites just on a new engine.....

Agreed.

Hi.

3DS Friend Code: 2466-2980-1066 | Nintendo Network ID: realoliver9912 | Twitter:

mav-i-am

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I think ARMS could do with a Splatoon Testfire type demo announced in the Direct. In its current position I get the feeling ARMS will end up more like Codename STEAM than Splatoon just due to Nintendo not getting that new IP out there for people to try out for themselves, it doesn't have to be that way though.

This is what I am expecting, perhaps another test fire for S2 as well. Beyond that all I am expecting is dates for stuff we know about.

No point spoiling your own E3.

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

StuTwo

skywake wrote:

@OorWullie
I'm not sure how you'd up the resolution of classic games.

Clearly you don't work at Square Enix, "Wow we can make Final Fantasy VI in HD! It looks so much more realistic and, therefore, better!". In other news I heard they've sacked their original graphic artists and hired the Spanish woman who improved that painting of Christ...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Well-known industry insider @Stealth___ has been Tweeting about the upcoming Nintendo Direct. Here's what he's been saying:

"Global direct = at least one new game announcement."

"Splatoon 2 and ARMs should get release dates. Surprise game is probably Switch.

"We were due for a pre-E3 Nintendo Direct.

"Mario, Xenoblade 2, FE Warriors. Expect none of that on Wednesday.

"Do not be fooled. Nintendo says they are focusing on Arms and Splatoon 2, but global directs ALWAYS have a new game announcement. Always.

"I have been thinking about this, and I think my guess for the surprise Nintendo Direct announcement is a Monster Hunter XX localization."

https://mobile.twitter.com/stealth___

Just some rumours to cause a tumour. And where's Pikmin 4?

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Octane

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

Buried with the Wii U.

Octane

FGPackers

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

Well-known industry insider @Stealth___ has been Tweeting about the upcoming Nintendo Direct. Here's what he's been saying:

"Global direct = at least one new game announcement."

"Splatoon 2 and ARMs should get release dates. Surprise game is probably Switch.

"We were due for a pre-E3 Nintendo Direct.

"Mario, Xenoblade 2, FE Warriors. Expect none of that on Wednesday.

"Do not be fooled. Nintendo says they are focusing on Arms and Splatoon 2, but global directs ALWAYS have a new game announcement. Always.

"I have been thinking about this, and I think my guess for the surprise Nintendo Direct announcement is a Monster Hunter XX localization."

https://mobile.twitter.com/stealth___

Don't tease us (me in particular) so much!! I can't wait for tomorrow!!

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

skywake

StuTwo wrote:

skywake wrote:

I'm not sure how you'd up the resolution of classic games.

Clearly you don't work at Square Enix, "Wow we can make Final Fantasy VI in HD! It looks so much more realistic and, therefore, better!".

I know you were being a bit sarcastic but yeah, pretty much. That's the only way you can update the visuals of 8 and 16-bit era games. It requires basically redoing the entire thing which requires a fair amount of work. And the end result isn't necessarily better it's just different. Which kinda defeats the entire point of the Virtual Console.

It's like if someone came out and said they were going to release a remastered version of an album from the 50s or 60s. So they get a bunch of fancy modern equipment and a cover band....

Edited on by skywake

OorWullie

@skywake I worded that badly.Just to be clear I definitely don't want them to redo the graphics.Everything the same as it was but in HD just like Mario Maker was.Sonic Mania's graphics looks fantastic but it's basically the exact same as the Megadrive versions but in HD with widescreen.Imagine how good games like Link to the Past,Donkey Kong Country,Super Metroid etc would like on the big screen given the Mario Maker treatment.I might be wrong but I don't see that being that much work.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic