Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 11,421 to 11,440 of 69,962

Luna_110

I'm not from the States, but from what I understand from the Americans that were here on exchange, yes. Your bank will automatically transform the foreign amount into dollars, and charge the dollars to your card. The exchange rate will be established by your bank, but its usually the same (or near) observed by official outlets like Bloomberg.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Joeynator3000

@Luna_110 I looked everywhere on the site for the bank I used, I'm gonna guess it won't work. Can't find ANYTHING on international money of any kind... :/

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

KirbyTheVampire

rallydefault wrote:

Operative2-0 wrote:

I think that gaming device first and foremost is more of a copout excuse as to why the thing is so Barebones right now than an actual intended "feature"

Agreed. They really do need some other stuff on this and pronto. I know I'm not going to use my Switch consistently to browse the internet or whatever, but once you're out of a game, the UI/software does feel very empty. Like, when I'm done playing Zelda for a bit, I can't just kick over to YouTube to watch a few videos like I can on my other systems, or go into Prime on a weekend night to watch a movie. Little shortcomings like that add up over time.

Now, the thing hasn't even been out for a week yet, so I'm not saying the sky is falling. But I hope Nintendo starts to roll out some stuff to put some more meat on its bones.

I think even just some background music and more than 2 themes would do wonders for how bleak the UI feels. The lack of features is one thing, but the deathly silence and lack of color and everything makes it that much more apparent that the UI barely gets used for anything, IMO anyway.

KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Nicolai wrote:

@KirbyTheVampire Plus, that's playing Zelda on full brightness and with Wireless on. I'll have you know that playing Zelda with wireless off and brightness turned to minimum (which isn't that dim by the way) last way longer. I should test this, in fact.

Makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if it could reach around 3 and a half to 4 hours playing Zelda, give or take.

KirbyTheVampire

Luna_110

@Joeynator3000
I suggest you ring them when you have time, and ask about buying on foreign sites or using your credit card in other country. If they tell you you can't use it, well, there isn't much else to do, but if not, they should explain the bank's procedure.

EDIT: I just remebered, ask if international transactions have an extra fee. From what I've read from travel blogs, I know that some American cards charge you a fee per transaction, while some don't.

Edited on by Luna_110

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Haruki_NLI

I do stand by the idea the backlash against the Wii U caused Nintendo to scrap everything and start fresh. Make sure its all swift and easy as features roll out.

There are some things I would have liked carrying over, namely some UI features like folders but right now its no biggy.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Joeynator3000

@Luna_110 Eh, I'll just go with importing eshop cards. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

TuVictus

I'm sure they will. It's just shame they couldn't secure some of the more basic apps for launch. But, at least it has a very strong foundation. The OS is fast as ever and taking in game screenshots is so amazingly easy that it even beats out the PS4. I can't wait until we can capture video as well

TuVictus

AndyD

I have a question about the battery if anyone can help me out. I know most modern day batteries can be left charging, but me being the paranoid type with my Switch I just want to make sure I am not harming the battery life in the overall life of the system. I have only been playing it in TV mode, because honestly that is what I prefer over handheld. So naturally it has been docked since we got it. With that being said, is it possible for it to be docked too much??? As far as harming the battery life? Thanks in advance for the advice.

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

DefHalan

@Joeynator3000 I have ordered stuff from Big Finish in the UK, and my American Bank did everything for me. They converted and charged me the correct amount. It would probably be the same for Japan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

FGPackers

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

Sounds like things are going pretty well for the Switch so far in terms of sales.

That's awesome to hear. I love this system and i want it to sell really good!

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

OorWullie

@Joeynator3000 I have a website based in the UK that I sell stuff and most of my business comes from the States.Sometimes payments don't go through because they are blocked from the buyers bank.All this is is a security feature from the bank and can easily be fixed with a quick phonecall.You just need to tell the bank how you wish to use your card and they will remove the block.Can be fixed in a few minutes.It's a much easier and likely cheaper solution than hunting down Japanese E-shop cards.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

OorWullie

@Frosty_09 I think the problems it has running Breath of the Wild at a constant FPS is more to do with the game being built for Wii U first and then ported over rather than it being because the Switch lacks power.Games like Arm's and Splatoon 2 which are built from the ground up for Switch will be a better way to judge the systems capabilities.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

FGPackers

OorWullie wrote:

@Frosty_09 I think the problems it has running Breath of the Wild at a constant FPS is more to do with the game being built for Wii U first and then ported over rather than it being because the Switch lacks power.Games like Arm's and Splatoon 2 which are built from the ground up for Switch will be a better way to judge the systems capabilities.

Considering that Arms plays in a little arena, Splatoon 2 will maybe be the first very good test. Or maybe MK8D

FGPackers

Jeronan

Frosty_09 wrote:

@BLP_Software
1. The kick stand could've added some more angles to choose from and it probably be best if it were wider and centered in the middle than off to the side.

2. While it is underpowered compared to the other current consoles it doesn't help when Breath of the Wild can't run at a consistent framerate let alone at 900p. This doesn't bode well for the Switch but considering that it's only been less than a week since launch we'll have to see further down the line to see the full potential of the Switch.

3. I'd like to see a higher battery life without depending on a battery bank for high-end gaming. With the lowest range being 2.5 hours and Breath of the Wild setting the benchmark at around 3 hours, it's like the battery life of a high-end gaming laptop. While the Switch beats it in size and weight, it's going to need a better battery life if it wants to take the full advantage of portable gaming.

To be fair. The 3DS isn't all that better when it comes to battery. Playing games like Monster Hunter X can drain the 3DS battery in about 3-4 hours as well ( new 3DS XL ).

Same for the second gen PSVita (with LCD screen). I could squeeze perhaps 4-5 hours tops.

Edited on by Jeronan

Jeronan

erv

Expect a switchNext iteration within 2 years. Nunchuks - edit:argh! (lol, joy con) compatible, thingy just that bit more capable, full ecosystem backwards compatibility for now.

4 year lifespan until games start not running on this version.

Nintendo found their money printer. I love it.

Edited on by erv

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

rallydefault

I'm all for pointing out flaws in the Switch - I've pointed out quite a few across a couple different threads here. But people, can we PLEASE stop judging the Switch's power based on a game that was designed from the ground up for a DIFFERENT, less powerful system AND for different architecture?? Like, logically, come on. Has this not occurred to anybody how ridiculous this is??

And no, "they had time to optimize" doesn't work logically, either. How long have they been working on the next 3D Zelda game? Since Skyward Sword, probably? That's like 6 years. When do you think they decided to bring the game to the Switch as well (basically, when did they realize the Wii U was a lost cause)? AT MOST I'll give you 2 years, but in reality BotW probably wasn't shifted until about a year ago. That's not a whole lot of time to get the game running perfectly on completely different architecture. Add in the reports that Nintendo was very clear in wanting parity between the games, and you have a recipe for a not-optimized game, even on superior hardware. That's all it is. It is in no way an indicator of actual power.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Japan: Zelda Breath Of The Wild On Nintendo Switch Sold 193K Units At Retail

Sales data for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Nintendo Switch is now in for Japan, thanks to Famitsu. Link’s long-awaited open world adventure sold 193,000 units at retail which isn’t quite as impressive when you note that 330,637 Switch units were sold. Whether a lot of Japanese consumers decided to purchase the game digitally remains to be seen as the Famitsu sales just take into account retail sales. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild had a 58% attach rate on Switch. Here’s how it compares to past Zelda games:

• N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time First week: 386.234 LTD: 1.143.570 Nintendo 11/21/1998
  • N64 The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask FW: 314.044 LTD: 601.542 Nintendo 4/27/2000
  • NGC The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker FW: 287.346 LTD: 742.609 Nintendo 12/13/2002
  • WII The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword FW: 194.894 LTD: 349.143 Nintendo 11/23/2011
  • WII The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess FW: 145.068 LTD: 554.109 Nintendo 12/2/2006
  • NGC The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess FW: N/A LTD: 70.000 Nintendo 12/2/2006

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/07/japan-zelda-breath-of-t...

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

FGPackers

Wow Nintendo Life with spoiler articles! Never going to read any, i'm sorry!

By the way a little story about my purchase: i pre-ordered the grey Switch because i wanted a more "classic" look on my console. But when i went to the store they had only the neon version. I obviously took the neon to my house and i have to say that i love the color concept. It's more fun! I hope they will do someday some particular themed joy-cons, especially a SNES version!

And i have to say that i love also the game boxes! So tiny and fresh looking!

FGPackers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic