Forums

Topic: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection

Posts 101 to 119 of 119

XandertheWise

I know for a fact that I will probably play NES Ninja Turtles 1 first then might as well get into the Gameboy Turtles games since I missed out on those Gameboy games.

Tournament Fighters i always wanted to play one time back then but other people back then kept renting the only copy of the game from the video store

XandertheWise

LinktotheFuture

@XandertheWise I already answered your question above, believe it or not.

The chickens are restless.
3DS Friend Code: 1547-5282-6926

Tasuki

@XandertheWise First of all say what you mean and mean what you say. I am not being an ass, I am answering your question. You asked about the Turtles II Arcade game that is Turtles in Time, Turtles II on the NES is a port of the Arcade. If you are getting upset and insulting people because they answer your question, I suggest maybe not posting in forums.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

LinktotheFuture

@Tasuki Yeah, I tried. They are going to have to figure it out for themselves. It is a pretty simple answer. Life's too short for all this hostility.

The chickens are restless.
3DS Friend Code: 1547-5282-6926

XandertheWise

ANYWAY

NES Turtles 1, NES Turtles II Arcade game I will be playing along with trying out the Gameboy Ninja Turtles games.

XandertheWise

Tasuki

LinktotheFuture wrote:

@Tasuki Yeah, I tried. They are going to have to figure it out for themselves. It is a pretty simple answer. Life's too short for all this hostility.

Yep, I don't known what anymore they want, they ask a question and I guess it's not the one they are looking for or wanting. Then why ask the question in the first place?

My Backlog

XandertheWise

Times like this where I wish the Internet was like what it was back in 1998.

Websites would better off without messageboards

XandertheWise

Tasuki

@XandertheWise Just because you don't know how to communicate properly and start insulting people when they answer what you asked. Ok then.

My Backlog

Tasuki

So, to get this thread back on track, started up Fall of the Foot Clan this morning. It's just as fun as I remember. Kinda awkward playing a handheld game on the TV but I think it's more of a personal preference. Thinking I might play Manhattan Project later this afternoon.

My Backlog

Tasuki

@NeonPizza Yeah I never owned Fall of the Foot Clan as a kid, but I too had a friend that did and I would play it when I was over at his place.

I am actually playing the TMNT Collection on my Series X, though I will get it on Switch at some point too. Most of the time I do play the Switch undocked because the TV is in use, I only play it docked when I am playing multiplayer games like Mario Kart 8 for example.

I do have the OLED model only because my original Switch got stolen. I figured since I got to replace it might as well get the upgrade.

My Backlog

Tasuki

Started Fall of the Foot Clan today. Games pretty solid like I remember it was but then I got to level 4 and wow did the difficulty ramp up. Most of the problem was too many enemies on the screen for how slow the character moved, I usually ended up taking it hit from something just because I couldn't move fast enough. Still as I said a solid enough game.

My Backlog

Ryu_Niiyama

My copy just came in! I only played the arcade games and the ports (I like beatemups more than turtles themselves) so there is a lot I have yet to play.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Tasuki

So I started up a game of Radical Rescue and it seemed interesting enough. It felt kinda like a Metroidvania to me but it was enjoyable. Trying to find my way around is a bit annoying due to the bad map design but gameplay was pretty solid.

My Backlog

StuTwo

I've been playing and enjoying the original NES game. It's nostalgic to me since it was the first NES game I owned (it was a bundle in the UK) but - brutal game breaking difficulty spikes aside - I think it's actually a good game.

It controls well with the turtles able to leap effectively around the screen or deftly hop when required. In that way it's the opposite of Castlevania. Most NES games were not that refined in their controls. The enemies are varied and present very different challenges (even sometimes the same room can be a very different challenge depending on which enemy set was loaded). The power-ups are good and encourage you to use them. The overworld design and maze like structure still feels a bit unusual - it has that Metroid feeling that you might genuinely stumble on an off the beaten track area that's never been explored before. The music is also exceptional - Konami at the peak of their powers.

Obviously it has some stupid and completely unfair difficulty spikes - the dam level, the instant death spikes at the end of the airport level and that final death corridor in the technodrome (and the final boss who has an instant kill weapon). The thing is though that other top tier NES games mostly had similarly unfair design in them at some point - especially in their first entries.

I mean Mega Man 1 was cruel - the yellow devil for a start. Castlevania had some incredibly difficult bosses (Death). Even SMB basically took the gloves off in the last 2-3 worlds and said "OK - we haven't really balanced the game beyond this - if you can finish it great but otherwise enjoy the first half of the game a lot".

All of which is to say - it really does get me wondering what might have been if Konami had iterated on the game and made sequels that sanded down the rough edges like they did with Castlevania and Capcom did with Mega Man. It really does feel to me like a game that was just a few tweaks from being great.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Tasuki

@NeonPizza Almost every game from LRG you get six months to a year after release., and to make matters worst if you order several things from them they almost always send it all together so they send it whenever the last one you order is done.

Right now I am waiting for River City Girls Zero which I ordered back in March and Shredders Revenge. I agree how they handle shipping is annoying but if you want to get physical copies of some games you really don't have a choice.

My Backlog

Tasuki

Been playing this off and on the past few days. Tried to play some TMNT NES but got to the dam level and that was it for me lol. I can definitely see where they were going with this game and like many other games of that time, Batman, Ninja Gaiden etc. it's just typical of NES games at the time. Overly difficult due to cheap deaths and programming errors.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic