Forums

Topic: Switch 2018 is going to be the Dust Collecter

Posts 61 to 80 of 239

Grumblevolcano

@skywake Yeah, let's not forget that NX was announced only 3 months after the launch of Smash.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

noobish_hat wrote:

That only made sense while console lines got new iterations at roughly the same time, which Nintendo has thrown out of the window. The Wii U and the Switch have been current over the same period that just the PS4 has been current. If we're still calling that one generation, then the word "generation" has kind of become pointless hasn't it.

It was always pointless if that's how you understood the term. Because early on the way these "generations" of console were defined was entirely hardware spec. That idea kinda died with the Wii being so far behind the 360/PS3 in terms of spec which Nintendo have continued. But even so I still don't think it makes sense to call Mario Kart 8 and Bayonetta 2 "last gen games" on the Switch when the Wii U is closer in spec to the Switch than the variations of the PS4/XBOne are to each other.

If the Switch is anything it's Nintendo's second attempt at an 8th generation console. These ports are therefore very much current gen games given that the games "built for Switch" are frankly not that much different. The only way I think you can argue that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a "last gen game" is if you want to argue that the Switch and Wii U are both 7th generation consoles. And if you do that then you'd also have to call the Wii a 6th generation console. At which point you are just shuffling this argument back to 2008 when people were complaining about Gamecube ports on the Wii....

Given there is no PS5 it's much neater to just call the Wii U and Switch both consoles of the same generation.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GrailUK

@skywake I lump the Switch with the PS4Pro and XBox1X. All 3 reboots of the current gen.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

noobish_hat

I suppose so. The Switch being Nintendo's new handheld as well as home system is throwing it further out of wack. We'd have been ecstatic in the past if the current Nintendo handheld was getting "last gen" home console ports (indeed I was disappointed that Xenoblade was the only one(?) on New 3DS).

noobish_hat

Octane

A generation indicates a certain period of time. I don't think there's much use anymore if we define systems by power, especially now. I don't see why the Wii U and Switch can't be part of the same generation (along with the 3DS). Of course, it's a bit silly to argue about generations with defined starting and end points. There's always a bit of overlap. You could argue that last gen started with the DS in 2004 and ended with the PS4 and Xbox One in 2013 for example. But this gen also started with the 3DS in 2011.

Octane

LzWinky

Never fear. Lz's here!

Untitled

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Harmonie

GrailUK wrote:

@skywake I lump the Switch with the PS4Pro and XBox1X. All 3 reboots of the current gen.

The problem with trying to make this comparison is that the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are nothing more than more powerful editions of the PS4 and Xbox One. They play the exact same games that the PS4 and Xbox One does, they just do it with higher specs. (Someone DO correct me if I'm wrong here, I don't own either, I just have a PS4). So in that way, they're kind of just an optional upgrade. I feel like they're more akin to the way Nintendo handles their handhelds... Like the DS versus the DSi, or the 3DS versus the New 3DS. Except from my (understandably limited - I don't play many Sony/Microsoft franchises) understanding the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X don't have a single title limited to them. I could be wrong on that, but if I am the exclusives would have to be very far and few in between, that would make for a more perfect 3DS versus New 3DS comparison because I know that at least the biggest titles like Monster Hunter World are available on plain PS4.

On the contrary, the Switch is a whole new brand. It is a new idea from Nintendo. It is not an optional more powerful Wii U. It has no connection or compatibility with the Wii U whatsoever. The games that are released for the Switch are developed and released for the Switch, and not at all the Wii U.

This is why I think it is fair to hold Nintendo to different standards with the Switch than Sony and Microsoft with the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are just more powerful redesigns of existing consoles and they do not function as their own generation of systems at all. Like, my PS4 is serving me just fine. Haven't even had a passing thought of wanting a PS4 Pro. Specs aren't super important to me. At least not the dividing line between the specs of the PS4 and PS4 Pro. ANYWAY, going off on a tangent there. My point is that the Switch is nothing like the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X. It is its own independent system from its precursor - a new generation... Whether Nintendo really wants to be held to that standard or not, it is inevitable.

Edited on by Harmonie

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Inertiacreep

All I know is there is not a single game confirmed for this year that would make me think about buying a Switch if I didnt already have one besides Octopath (which is damn worth the buy by itself!)... thats 1 game.. after all this "Hoorah Hoorah Switch!" BS and Nintendo planning a stream of steady monthly releases I am just kind of impatient waiting for Nintendo to give me something to look forward to this year...

So what, you guys think we have to wait until E3 to find out something really awesome is coming out fall/winter this year? I mean Octopath, while I FEEL its coming soon... who knows, maybe it doesnt come out til summer.... how boring would that be

Inertiacreep

Grumblevolcano

@Inertiacreep Pretty sure Octopath will be summer at the earliest, probably fall. That feedback video didn't feel like "the game is out in a couple of months" which is totally fine.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

@Harmonie It's just a convenient handle for me to use for timing of release. But dammit you made me think now...and that's dangerous lol. For me, a generation isn't defined simply as a new console releasing. Atari will release a new console but it won't start a new generation. Technology dictates the generation. Going from an 8 bit generation to a 16 bit generation. We seem to be in a teraflop generation going into a 4K generation. Who knows, maybe future gens will be measure in K's as opposed to bits. Gah...I don't know. Now I'm super confused lol.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Captain_Toad

Blame the WIiu for failing to live up to standards of current hardware and audience and having some of its best games never getting a chance to shine on that thing so Nintendo is expected to play catch up and the port game for a starting points of its life. That being said, what's the beef with you and indies?

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

1UP_MARIO

So back to topic. I'd suggest a good old damp cloth to wipe off that dust. Also behind the tv unit area.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

StuTwo

@1UP_MARIO also try reducing the sources of dust. If you smoke in the house for instance try smoking outdoors instead. If you have pets have them euthanised etc.

One way of reducing dust would be to install an air handling system - or if you already have one ensuring that you regularly replace the filters.

Together we can keep all of your consoles dust free!

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

1UP_MARIO

@StuTwo haha. Lol

I can't disagree with that.

mowerdude

@StuTwo @1UP_MARIO WOW!!! I would have never thought of that. But really with what games have been announced my Switch is going to see very little to no game play most of this year. Compared to the PS4.

@OdnetninAges @xPH03N1Xx86 That's great for you but turn-base rpg's aren't my kind of game but if they made a action/rpg I would more than likely pick it up then.

Captain_Toad wrote:

That being said, what's the beef with you and indies?

I don't really have a problem with indies, Just burned out on them right now from the Wii U console still have Shovel Knight King of Cards that I will be getting on Wii U since it will be a free update when it releases.

Edited on by mowerdude

mowerdude

1UP_MARIO

@mowerdude and that's a great position to be in. My backlog is just growing and growing so I gotta stop buying games and finding more time to play

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.