Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Posts 741 to 760 of 942

rallydefault

Got my copy on Monday. I never owned a Wii and never played this game beyond the starting hour or so, despite being a huge Zelda fan. My honest thoughts:

• The beginning is slow. Wicked, wicked slow. Too much dialogue, too many cutscenes.
  • I'm not much of a graphics person, honestly, but I do wish they would've done just a smidge more to update things. Sometimes it's relatively pretty, but many times it looks a bit aged.
  • Holding L for the camera is weird, yea, but I understand why it had to be done and I'm getting used to it.
  • Tried the motion, but just not for me. The stick controls are pretty good, though the rolling/throwing commands and sometimes the kill command on the stick is weird to execute reliably.
  • Once I got to the surface and through the first temple, I'm starting to dig the overall pacing of the game. It's slower than lots of Zelda games, for sure; lots of things feel like mini puzzles related to the motion stuff in one way or another, and I kind of like it. Even down to the combat with small enemies sometimes just just a bit of planning and attention, which is refreshing.

Overall I'm getting the "it's gonna take time to grow on me" feeling from the game, but I can feel the roots taking hold. I keep hearing people say the dungeons in this one are some of the best in the series, so I'm pumped to see more of them (the first had some nice little mechanics in it, but it's still just a classic "trainer" dungeon, in my opinion. I did have an "ah-ha!" moment in it when I was trying to cross a particular rope and realized the bug can cut much more than spider threads... lol).

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

rallydefault

@Eel
Yea, very cool! I love it!

Also, I'm loving the music. I never knew how darn pretty that one song in Skyloft is.

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

Yea im loving it. It is a little slower to start, but I felt like TP was even slower than that.

NintendoByNature

Eel

I personally skipped most of the cutscenes in skyloft when I started

Even then, I played for about an hour before touching the surface.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

blaisedinsd

So is the demise fight different in hero mode? I went back to my Wii save and fought him after beating the HD version. On Wii it said I couldn’t use skyward strikes in the area but isn’t that what i used to beat him on switch ? This is a hero mode difference and not a difference between versions right?

I beat him both times without needing a potion almost no damage.

To all those struggling with controls in this game I have to believe it’s just a different type of game and if you learn how to play it it’s really fun. Shield bash everything haha.

My joycons were having all types of connectivity issues when I tried them out the other day also. They weren’t registering button presses reliably and motion was choppy. I did this method where you disconnect them,power down your switch, power it back on and reconnect them and it seemed to work out the issue.

SW-7087-5868-6390

Eel

@blaisedinsd You can't use Skyward Strikes in the final battle.

You use something similar... But different...

Demise calls forth lightning to power up his blade, if you raise your blade, you can catch them yourself, and use them against him.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

MarioBrickLayer

NinChocolate wrote:

About to go through Ancient Cistern. Always loved this level and it’s music.

I just got past this section, really enjoyed it! It took me ages though! I've been playing for 24.5 hours already.

I thought the Koloktos boss battle was excellent.

MarioBrickLayer

blaisedinsd

Eel wrote:

@blaisedinsd You can't use Skyward Strikes in the final battle.

You use something similar... But different...

Demise calls forth lightning to power up his blade, if you raise your blade, you can catch them yourself, and use them against him.

So you can kind of use them sometimes then but only if you time it right?

I always knew the finally blow involved that spoiler power but just never realized I couldn’t skyward strike.

SW-7087-5868-6390

Eel

@blaisedinsd I suppose you could technically keep your sword up the whole time, though that might make avoiding him harder. So it's generally easier to just raise it once you see he starts doing the same.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Zeldafan79

Having a blast with skyward sword! Up to the second dungeon only it's not a dungeon in the desert area. My favorite part of the game! Does anybody else read the dialogue of those little robot dudes in a robot voice? I do! 😂

Oh I noticed the fun fun island skydiving game is way easier with button controls so yay for that! I once spent three hours just trying to get that damn heart piece on the original. Did it in 10 minutes this time!

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

blaisedinsd

I got absurdly sturdy shield finally! I guess quick skipping dialog hurt me because I blasted right past the shield the first time I tried it and beat all 12 battles and just got a bunch of rupees.

I guess the piece of heart and shield are easier than that.

The imprisoned fights are the only thing in this game I don’t 100% love and I’m mostly ok with it but it does feel like crap not this fight when you get it in boss rush. I love that this game has a boss rush mode, it is so fun.

Also girahim tip. Just ready your shield in the beginning of the fight when he grabs your sword. Don’t move your sword anywhere or his hand will follow it. Then you can just swipe in the opposite side of where his hand is.

I used to think you had to trick him in to moving his hand one way and slice the other but no.

SW-7087-5868-6390

NinChocolate

@Zeldafan79 ya, I was surprised I could max out my rupee wallet in just a few tries, lol. No more money problems for me!

NinChocolate

Eel

I had to kill Koloktos with one heart left to get the shield... So I decided to stop there. Only to find out you don't get all the rewards, only the last one. Sigh, so the heart piece can wait.

The shield is enough for now.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Themagusx1

Man this game rocks, I don’t get the vitriol surrounding it. Finished getting fun fun island and about to head to the tower in the plaza.

Themagusx1

Eel

Ugh now I can't just use the camera stick normally, even in other games I'm reaching for the L button by default.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

NintendoByNature

@Eel I've gotten super used to it after a while. It was awkward at first, but now it's second nature. Well see how I adjust on my next 3d game.

NintendoByNature

Zeldafan79

@blaisedinsd

That tip about ghirahim blows my mind! I used to think tricking him was the way to go also. He's so much easier now! All this time i was fighting him wrong.

@ themagusx1

I usually quit fun fun island once i've got the heart piece.

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

rallydefault

I've gotten used to the L button for the camera thing. On the Wii, could you control the camera like this or was it just centering behind Link?

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic