Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,361 to 1,380 of 2,230

1UP_MARIO

@Pizzamorg join my family group. I’ll charge a fair price 😉

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

chipia

I'm disappointed.

If N64 costs extra, then they should add at least GB games for those who don't want to upgrade their subscription.

Currently, for those who have already played the (S)NES games, there is little reason to stick with the standard subscription, as they are getting no new games and online play is still lacking.

chipia

Pizzamorg

YusseiWarrior3000 wrote:

@Pizzamorg Calm down...

??? Who said I wasn't. You are the one writing in mostly caps every time you respond???

Life to the living, death to the dead.

BabyYoda71

@YusseiWarrior3000 I agree that the service is excellent, and that the family price plan is good, but I understand how buying it for one person kind of sucks. Especially since online services were free on other consoles, so it’s kind of annoying that they charge for it now.

I don’t understand how people are mad that they’re charging extra for N64 games. Nintendo 64 is a much more recent console than NES and SNES, so it makes perfect sense for them to charge more for it. I don’t believe they’ll charge a whole lot more (if they do, I’ll agree that it’s disappointing) so it makes sense to me. N64 are games that people would pay for if they got ported, so it wouldn’t make sense for them to add them for no additional cost. I’m thinking it will be around $5.99 or $6.99/month (Canadian dollars, normal is $4.99/month). Also, this is wishful thinking, but I hope they might slightly reduce the price of the normal NSO subscription...

I also hope they might have other perks for people who pay more, like having game trials last two weeks or some sort of Tetris 99/PAC-MAN 99 game, something like that. The name “Expansion Pass” seems weird to me, if they’re only changing the games included in the subscription. I just have a gut feeling they’re going to add more in the future.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

BabyYoda71

@Matt_Barber (and anyone else who think they’re only adding fifteen games) there’s going to be more games added to service than just the six they showed. They just haven’t announced them yet.

1UP_MARIO

@BabyYoda71 I agree expansion seems silly like some sort of DLC but I think they were going for the expansion pak idea

Untitled

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

BabyYoda71

@1UP_MARIO Oh yeah I forgot that existed...

Supaguy

Hey so I’m curious, would you guys think the N64 controller probably be one of the better controllers to get for NSO games? It has the D-pad set up separate from the joystick unlike the pro controller and joy-con, making it better for 2D games (plus hopefully a better D-pad). It has both the 2-button NES layout and 4 button SNES layout if you count the C-button. Heck, it essentially has the 6-button layout from the Japanese Sega Genesis controller if you count the C-buttons as continuations of the A and B buttons, making it essentially an arcade fighting game layout. Plus it has enough utility with the joystick and shoulder buttons to still be used for games like Smash or Mario Kart if you need an extra controller at parties. This is probably the best use for the controller’s weird three prong structure in its existence. I just want to know what everyone else thinks it makes it a bit more worthwhile. Just hope they make a better joystick.

Edited on by Supaguy

Supaguy

NintendoByNature

Now that I've slept on it, I am still happy about 64 games coming, but the Sega games I honestly could've done with out( for me). Most of the games that are going to on the service for genesis, are more than likely already available on switch. I do kind of feel like N could've dug a little deeper and added Gb and gbc along with 64. I'll still sub, but its definitely for 64 games, and not genesis.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Matt_Barber

BabyYoda71 wrote:

@Matt_Barber (and anyone else who think they’re only adding fifteen games) there’s going to be more games added to service than just the six they showed. They just haven’t announced them yet.

They're only launching with nine games though. That seems a bit slack considering the NES and SNES launched with twenty each, and suggestive of the possibility that we're going to see a lot less N64 games overall.

Still, maybe I'm wrong and they'll pump them out at the rate of a couple a month so a decent sized library can be built up fairly quickly. We'll just have to wait and see.

Matt_Barber

skywake

Ventilator wrote:

Yeah. This time they will be cheaper as it's included in a sub. Because of the sub they are basically forced to add more games monthly.
You can't charge extra and only add games like 3 times in a year.

I'm fine with the SNES/NES list. If i want to play others, i can just use a emulator.

As for Banjo Kazooie. I own it on retail cart for N64, but also the Rare Replay Collection on Xbox One which have 30 Rare Ware games on same 50.GB Blu-Ray.
That collection were sold for only 30$ on release to celebrate 30 years.
Nowadays you get it for 5 +/- bucks in a bargain bin.

Fair, but as a counterpoint with my own examples. I got 10 games on the Wii VC back in the day and looking at the list/remembering pricing I'd guess it was ~$100AU. Then maybe another $60AU between the 3DS and Wii U VC. Then there's also the SNES Mini I brought for $130AU. So between the launch of the VC on the Wii and the launch of NSO I spent around $30/year on the official channel for Nintendo ROMs, which is around the current price of an individual NSO membership

But NSO is a more complicated proposition. There's potentially a family membership which in theory drops the price significantly. There are the game vouchers which if you play your cards right can be used to recoup the costs if you were going to buy these games anyways. Then you're also paying for additional releases like Tetris/PacMan/Mario 99 which I for one did pour a fair bit of time into. And also the NSO exclusive section of the Nintendo store, which is basically just controllers

Oh and last note, in terms of games NSO doesn't have that I've got legit via Nintendo's services like this? There aren't that many. If you include this expansion pack now it drops down to Alex Kidd, Advance Wars, Pokemon Yellow, Link's Awakening, Donkey Kong Land and I believe Oracle of Seasons. Adding N64 really fills a hole in this service for me as I never owned one. Those were the titles I tended to get on the Wii VC. And when they're just there I'll probably end up playing stuff I wouldn't have brought

Matt_Barber wrote:

They're only launching with nine games though. That seems a bit slack considering the NES and SNES launched with twenty each, and suggestive of the possibility that we're going to see a lot less N64 games overall.

To be fair there were significantly less N64 games than NES/SNES titles. And anyways, volume of content means nothing if you're not going to play those games. The way I see it there are plenty of 4 player "party" titles on N64 while the SNES tends to be RPG heavy and the NES is very arcade. Who cares if it's "less games" if those games fill a gap that isn't yet filled?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

I-U

What is everyone expecting the price of the new tier to be? I'm confident in and would be happy with a $30/year cost, which would be an additional $10 above the current plan. If it's above $40, I think I would likely stick to the basic tier. At $40, I would consider upgrading my plan when the N64 selection has 30 or more titles. Genesis is a non factor for me. I wouldn't mind third party systems once Nintendo covers all their bases, but for right now that's not what I'm looking for from the service.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Matt_Barber

skywake wrote:

To be fair there were significantly less N64 games than NES/SNES titles. And anyways, volume of content means nothing if you're not going to play those games. The way I see it there are plenty of 4 player "party" titles on N64 while the SNES tends to be RPG heavy and the NES is very arcade. Who cares if it's "less games" if those games fill a gap that isn't yet filled?

Yeah, I'm probably coming over a little too negative, and I'd certainly favour a quality over quantity approach.

Although there's a bit of filler in the list I'd probably give half the games announced a go which isn't a bad hit-rate. I could perhaps nit-pick over the choice of so many games that have recently been re-made for the 3DS and Switch, but then again that's mostly because they're the good ones.

If this is indeed just the tip of the iceberg and the pricing isn't too bad - nobody seems to think they'd dare charge more than $10 a year, after all - I'll probably give it a go. Hell, maybe they'll start adding GameCube games next year?

Matt_Barber

Grumblevolcano

I think it'll be somewhere in the range of $40 - $60, don't think it'll exceed $60 because that's the price of XBL Gold and PS+. The OLED Switch has very minimal improvements over the base Switch for $50 more so I think Nintendo's aim with all this is to push their products into the higher pricing tiers of Xbox and Playstation but without chasing the "most powerful console" trend.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

The US price is $20/year right? That's what we're comparing it to? I don't see this as being worth 2x the amount of the current service. So I would think it's going to be somewhere around $30US/year. Which means the Australian pricing will go up to $45AU/year or $80AU/year for the family sub.

I would personally probably go for it upto around $90AU/year for the family sub, I'd seriously hesitate if it was much more than that.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

Without many basic online functions, I don't think anyone should be paying more for it than they already do, regardless of the amount of old crap they throw at it. No idea why the Switch can't even do voice chat, when the DS could do it in 2004..!

Octane

konami1987

What about the elephant in the room ? Goldeneye. With Rare actively advertising Banjo through Twitter, with Microsoft on board, I assume the sticking point would be the company that holds the Bond films licence ?

konami1987

Pizzamorg

YusseiWarrior3000 wrote:

@Octane
There's MANY online functions to enjoy with Switch Onliine
Also, Uhhhh...the Switch HAS Voice chat, what are you talking about??

Oh no here he goes again.

Can I count my house as having a swimming pool if water gathers in a hole in my garden?

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic