Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,341 to 1,360 of 2,232

skywake

Ventilator wrote:

@kkslider5552000 It sure isn't promising now either.
Increasing price with only 9 games on day 1... and 6 future games.?

To be fair the Wii VC only had 21 games and they charged something like $15AU each for them. If I had brought all of them that would've given me ~5 years of the Switch family membership for NSO. And I highly doubt they're going to double/quadruple the price for NSO

There are 9 on day 1, 6 soon after. That's already a good 70% of the library the Wii VC had. And so far they've already announced Dr Mario, WinBack, Banjo-Kazooie which didn't come to the Wii VC. Banjo in particular being kinda a big deal yeah?

Also people complain about the NES/SNES games list but even those aren't THAT bad. The SNES library is upto 49 which isn't bad compared to the Wii VC which had 65 all up. The NES on Wii VC had 77 while NSO is upto 74. I mean they're not ROM dumps of every single title ever but they're far from small collections.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

I think the big thing will be about comparing 3D All Stars Mario 64 to NSO Mario 64. If they're identical then Sunshine and Galaxy will probably be added to NSO eventually.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ventilator

skywake wrote:

Ventilator wrote:

@kkslider5552000 It sure isn't promising now either.
Increasing price with only 9 games on day 1... and 6 future games.?

To be fair the Wii VC only had 21 games and they charged something like $15AU each for them. If I had brought all of them that would've given me ~5 years of the Switch family membership for NSO. And I highly doubt they're going to double/quadruple the price for NSO

There are 9 on day 1, 6 soon after. That's already a good 70% of the library the Wii VC had. And so far they've already announced Dr Mario, WinBack, Banjo-Kazooie which didn't come to the Wii VC. Banjo in particular being kinda a big deal yeah?

Also people complain about the NES/SNES games list but even those aren't THAT bad. The SNES library is upto 49 which isn't bad compared to the Wii VC which had 65 all up. The NES on Wii VC had 77 while NSO is upto 74. I mean they're not ROM dumps of every single title ever but they're far from small collections.

Yeah. This time they will be cheaper as it's included in a sub. Because of the sub they are basically forced to add more games monthly.
You can't charge extra and only add games like 3 times in a year.

I'm fine with the SNES/NES list. If i want to play others, i can just use a emulator.

As for Banjo Kazooie. I own it on retail cart for N64, but also the Rare Replay Collection on Xbox One which have 30 Rare Ware games on same 50.GB Blu-Ray.
That collection were sold for only 30$ on release to celebrate 30 years.
Nowadays you get it for 5 +/- bucks in a bargain bin.

Ventilator

My Nintendo: V3ntilator

Pizzamorg

I think they need to be so careful about how they do this. Compared to Sony/Microsoft, the online infrastructure on the Switch is pure garbage and while the retro approach is more unique, it is also more niche than just providing more modern titles on the service - although Gold has been providing pretty ***** titles for a while. But the difference has been that it works out to like 2 quid versus like what, is PS Plus like 8 quid a month and XBL like a tenner? So you can sort of roll with a lot of the Switch's online shortcomings because of just how cheap it is. But if they add a couple of Megadrive and N64 games and then bump up the price to the same as Sony/Microsoft, with no further work done on the online infrastructure and no more modern titles thrown in, I think this is going to be a much tougher sell to a general audience.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

1UP_MARIO

Nintendo switch online

Untitled

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Pizzamorg

YusseiWarrior3000 wrote:

@Pizzamorg Uhhhh...''garbage''???
No it's not, What are you talking about??

Downloads on WiFi are at the speed of a device from about twenty years ago.
Almost every online game has issues with lag, disconnects, latency etc

Pizzamorg

YusseiWarrior3000 wrote:

@Pizzamorg Ahhh...
The Download speeds are good, and the online has MASIVELY improved these last mounths.

And yet it is still nowhere close to industry standard. Which is fine at the current price point, but if they try and raise the price to match other services and all you get are a couple of retro games, I don't see it going down well for a general audience.

GameOtaku

Did anyone not even read the last part?

A new membership plan is coming to Nintendo Switch Online in late October with classic Nintendo 64 and SEGA Genesis games. In addition to all the benefits of a Nintendo Switch Online membership such as online play, access to a growing library of NES and Super NES games, and more, members can play select titles like Mario Kart 64 online with up to four players for the first time ever (additional accessories required; sold separately)!

Additional accessories required. VC didn’t need any additional accessories.

GameOtaku

Jrpglover

YusseiWarrior3000 wrote:

He's right Nintendo online is rubbish. Especially when you compare it to other services infact you actually don't get anything in return for purchasing NSO apart from the ability to play games online.

If your into the old games then great good for you but the majority of people they're forced into paying for an awful service just to play games online you can't even send messages. Or make a party infact Nintendo might as well remove the friends list altogether as it's a useless feature.

Jrpglover

1UP_MARIO

@GameOtaku vc did require additional accessories like the classic controller. Addition accessories means more joy cons. You need more controllers if you want to play 4 player Mario kart 64, you can’t do 4 players with a single joy con

Pizzamorg

YusseiWarrior3000 wrote:

@Pizzamorg It is CLOSE to the industry standards....

I mean it is close if it was 2006. Which again, you can kinda forgive for being so rubbish because it is so cheap, but really a couple of N64/Genesis games really aren't going to offer much justification to most if they end up effectively increase the price by 5 times.

Jrpglover wrote:

YusseiWarrior3000 wrote:

He's right Nintendo online is rubbish. Especially when you compare it to other services infact you actually don't get anything in return for purchasing NSO apart from the ability to play games online.

If your into the old games then great good for you but the majority of people they're forced into paying for an awful service just to play games online you can't even send messages. Or make a party infact Nintendo might as well remove the friends list altogether as it's a useless feature.

Oh yeah that is another good point. No parties, no voice chat, none of that stuff. I mean we had that on Xbox Live like almost two decades ago. My understanding is some games do support it in their games specifically, but this is such a basic feature that Nintendo just doesn't have?

Pizzamorg

YusseiWarrior3000 wrote:

@Pizzamorg Also, the Switch HAS Voice chat AND parties...

Did you just FORGET that those exist?

Yeah, through a separate mobile app so I may as well just call my friend on the phone.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Pizzamorg

YusseiWarrior3000 wrote:

@Pizzamorg First, the Online App voice chat is actually pretty good.
(Expect when your phone enter standby mode, and you have to open it again...)

Second of all, F2P games on the Switch ALSO have partys and voice chat.
So yeah..the Switch has these things!

You're reaching so hard, to defend something so ***** and I don't even know why? Did you make the online service or something? Because you aren't going to convince me that a couple of decades old basic features awkwardly scattered around various apps, or on a software by software basis, means that actually Switch Online isn't a pile of garbage.

NintendoByNature

@1UP_MARIO now you just need to get a Sega one 😉. I'm using my m30 8bitdo wireless controller for it.

NintendoByNature

1UP_MARIO

@NintendoByNature nice. I love the 8bitdo controllers. Both my nes and snes controllers are the 8bitdo mod kits.

1UP_MARIO

@YusseiWarrior3000 I agree it’s good. It’s practically free service if you have a family account and share with friends. I’ve had it since launch and feel like I’ve paid nothing

Pizzamorg

1UP_MARIO wrote:

@YusseiWarrior3000 I agree it’s good. It’s practically free service if you have a family account and share with friends. I’ve had it since launch and feel like I’ve paid nothing

Which is the point I was making the whole time. Switch Online is garbage, but it is basically free, so you just kinda roll with it. I think it only really becomes a problem if they try and charge XBL or PS Plus prices because of a couple of N64 or Megadrive games, because there is literally no comparison between the services at all. 2005's Xbox Live would be a better deal than 2021 NSO if they tried charging a tenner for it every month.

1UP_MARIO

@Pizzamorg nah. That won’t happen. Family subscription will always be there. If it didn’t I doubt most will subscribe.
I won’t subscribe to the NSO dlc but glad that’s optional as I mainly play switch games online and never really touch the nes and snes app

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

Pizzamorg

1UP_MARIO wrote:

@Pizzamorg nah. That won’t happen. Family subscription will always be there.

I am the only person who uses NSO, so it won't save me any money to use a family pack. I can only hope that they just leave the original NSO alone pricingwise and just make this expansion a completely isolated thing for diehards if they really want but the rest of us can just ignore.

NintendoByNature

@1UP_MARIO yea they're good stuff. Haven't used mine in a while, but I'll be using the m30 for Sega games and my n30 pro for the castlevania Advance Collection.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic