Forums

Topic: Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee!

Posts 2,081 to 2,100 of 2,747

Haruki_NLI

The difference with OoT and 64 was just that.

Sure they are as old as Pokemon, but they were on hardware that could do more than hallways.

Nowadays sure, but back then? Shows age has nothing to do with it.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Sisilly_G

@Bolt_Strike : That is the biggest issue I have with the Let's Go games. It isn't even a reimagining of Kanto. It's a home console game in 2018 that is artificially restricting itself to the design constraints of a handheld game from 1996.

I'm hoping that there will be a lot more content than what is being shown to us, but I can't say that I am particularly optimistic.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Mattsmash

@Quarth I agree. Having recently started Ultra Moon, I find they have have gone back to trying to make it more simplistic for new players/younger generation, all the while they are just trying to explain the features that have been gradually added the series over time. This takes up too much time and I feel like the game is holding my hand. Too. Much. Talking!!

Now how that relates to Pokemon GO! on Switch is I fear they will do the same. Dumb down an already very basic game. I could be wrong though, I would like to be wrong but we have to ask "Who are they aiming this game at?".

The Gen 8 Pokemon announced could be for the more hardcore following with new moves, places to visit, Pokemon etc etc that comes as standard. That could easily be at the level of Zelda in terms of freedom and depth. Rather than the linear hallways mentioned on this page by users already. All the while this incarnation of Gen 1/GO! could be for the more casual player who enjoys catching Pokemon on their way to work or walking their dog - and doesn't need to be overly complicated or enhanced. Leaving those fans who have wanted this sort of game on a home console, still wanting.

Like I said though, I hope I'm wrong, I'd like them to surprise us with depth and new surroundings but I can't see it. Basics for casuals seems to be the focus.

Instagram: Nintendo.Matt

Bolt_Strike

Knuckles-Fajita wrote:

The difference with OoT and 64 was just that.

Sure they are as old as Pokemon, but they were on hardware that could do more than hallways.

Nowadays sure, but back then? Shows age has nothing to do with it.

Not the point I was making. I'm saying that there are N64 games that have better map design than the 3DS Pokemon games and LGPE. And 3DS and Switch are very much capable of an N64 sized game.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

-Green-

I think Sinnoh was probably the best designed region in the series. It had a fair amount varied locations that tied well together iirc, and had you turning back into previously visited locations commonly. Having things centered around Mt.Coronet was a nice touch that they would not do again until Lumiose city in Kalos, but that city was a jungle and didn’t have the relevance that Mt. Coronet did.

It was mostly just held back by the slowness of the games and HMs. Pacing was also a tad slow in the region as the areas didn’t really start being visually interesting until that flower town shortly after the first gym leader.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Quarth

@Mattsmash Yeah, hand holding in video games is irritating, even in a game aimed at kids. I was around 11 when gen 1 was introduced and even though the Pkmn games never have been that difficult, I think the older games depended more on the players ability to figure things out him/herself.

We'll see how the new games will be.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Mattsmash

@Quarth I don't think it helps that there are so many features. I miss the old days of water beats fire and fire beats grass haha! No IVs, EVs, natures etc.

But I also understand the why. Meh.

Grew up with Gen 1 from the age of 10, just like you, I guess we just have to accept that it was natural for games to develop as they grew in popularity.

EvilLucario

I can see why they wanted to introduce all these "hand-holdy" things, because back then gaming was a lot more niche and contained. If you wanted to play something, you had Pokemon or you had nothing at all.

Now if you want to play something, you have Pokemon or a bajillion other mobile garbage. And kids don't know that mobile games are garbage, they'll play whatever they want and if Pokemon is frustrating for them (because let's face it, as a kid you were terrible at Pokemon), they'll give up and start playing something else.

Whenever that's worth giving up everyone else, who knows. Perhaps it would be better to reduce it like how BotW did though, and just go all-out for the adults who did grow up playing Pokemon while the rest follow.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Mattsmash

There has to be a balance. Of course I can understand the reasoning why they do it, but its not necessary for the entire player base to need it. I also understand the difficulty that puts them in because there can't be a difficulty option or an option to skip dialogue.

Basically, I just want to get a started and be left to my own devices in a Pokemon game.

EvilLucario

@Mattsmash Funny because Black 2/White 2 DID have difficulty options, with Easy and Hard modes. It was just unlocked in the most dumb as hell way possible which is just baffling.

But difficulty modes would barely do much to curb "hand-holding". You'd have to do big writing changes if you want to curb it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Mattsmash

@EvilLucario I think that was what I was trying to say in a round about way. It was change the game completely. Not going to happen if we are realistic.

Octane

@Mattsmash EVs and IVs were always a thing. The games just never really acknowledged their existence until the later games. I don't mind natures. They're easy to ignore if you're not into online play. You probably wouldn't even know it affected your stats unless you looked it up.

Octane

Quarth

@Mattsmash Yeah, that's how it is and I also think we have our nostalgia glasses on when looking back at the older games. Some things definitely have improved. I mean, the first gen games didn't allow you to run, and when running was introduced (gen 2 or 3?), it was via the running shoes. That was kinda lame, haha.

Edited on by Quarth

EvilLucario

@Octane Honestly EVs and IVs are also superfluous for casual play. They were there to give the illusion of "Pokemon when trained from lower levels are stronger than Pokemon you catch at the same level" (an actual quote in one of the games) and "every Pokemon is different from each other" to try to sell the idea of fully unique Pokemon.

And it works well enough. Lots of different possibilities you can do depending on the Pokemon.

Octane

@EvilLucario Yeah, very true! And that's why I don't mind them. I like that EV training is a thing, and that you can train a Pokemon the way you want. IVs are a little dumb, and I never really bothered with them.

Octane

Mattsmash

Octane wrote:

@Mattsmash EVs and IVs were always a thing. The games just never really acknowledged their existence until the later games. I don't mind natures. They're easy to ignore if you're not into online play. You probably wouldn't even know it affected your stats unless you looked it up.

I know. But you can't pretend at the time of Gen 1 or even 2, that you seriously knew or at least took them serious? Simpler times.

Quarth wrote:

@Mattsmash Yeah, that's how it is and I also think we have our nostalgia glasses on when looking back at the older games. Some things definitely have improved. I mean, the first gen games didn't allow you to run, and when running was introduced (gen 2 or 3?), it was via the running shoes. That was kinda lame, haha.

Haha, I still hold the run button when playing Yellow, forgetting that its not a thing!

Quarth

How much are the kids into Pkmn these days anyway? It feels like the ones who are, are playing Pokémon Go. Those interested in the mainline series are probably mostly adults around 20-30. I think the kids are more into Fortnite and Minecraft to be honest.

@Mattsmash Me too!

Edited on by Quarth

Mattsmash

@Quarth I feel that's how Nintendo see it too and are trying to sway those playing Pokemon Go, into playing their 3DS/Switch versions. Nothing wrong with that, that's just good business. What isn't good, are those things we've already mentioned.

New younger players = longevity of a franchise & more money long term (And short term, I guess)

Octane

@Mattsmash For EV training? Yes. Just a casual playthrough? No. That hasn't really changed to be honest.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic