Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 8,561 to 8,580 of 15,874

Magician

@VoidofLight

I can't convince a person it rained with clear skies but the ground is wet, eh?

Alright, I'll stop trying to change your perspective.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BruceCM

Exclusive to GamePass would mean not available to buy on XBox or PC otherwise, @Magician....? That's all VoL is saying about that

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Dringo

@Magician Xbox has said numerous times they will bring their games to any platform where Game Pass can exist. But that doesn't mean it'll only be accessible with Game Pass. It's just they want that as an available business model. Halo: Infinite is coming to PC, Xbox and xCloud... three platforms where Game Pass exists... but you don't need Game Pass to play it.

They may well move fully to Game Pass one day (although I doubt it). But while there are customers buying games via other means, they will support that.

Dringo

Twitter:

Magician

@BruceCM @Dringo

Oh I understand VoL's perspective just fine. I simply disagree with it, no more. We're in an age where content is king. And when MS is aspiring to become the Netflix of gaming, I have serious doubts about any Bethesda game (from Starfield and onward) being available to purchase a la carte outside of Game Pass. Even physically on Xbox.

Starfield's release will be the barometer for if I'm right or wrong.

Elder Scrolls fans should have their torches and pitchforks at the ready.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

ok1

@Magician Well I mean, at least tone down your expectations a bit?

hello

Magician

@ok1

Tone down my expectations? In comparison to what? How many folks are purchasing a month of HBO Max to watch the Mortal Kombat reboot this weekend? By comparison, how many folks would be willing to sign up for Game Pass for a month just to play TES VI, if it were isolated to Game Pass?

Edited on by Magician

Dezzy

@Magician

You really think they're gonna make games gamepass exclusive? That seems a bit weird. Why wouldn't they also have them for sale as digital or retail console exclusives?

If they really want to get people using gamepass, they could just make the normal retail price really high. Like Playstation have done. If Halo Infinite is $70 to buy to own, well the vast majority are just gonna do gamepass instead.

I don't entirely see why they'd do only gamepass though.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Magician

@Dezzy

Yeah, I think MS is angling hard towards being a service platform, sub numbers are everything.

And how many times has it been discussed how exclusives are important for a platform to thrive?

kkslider5552000

You do realize HBO Max has exclusive, actually high profile movies because of very specific circumstances preventing them from reaching (or having a chance of being successful) in theaters right? It wasn't a choice they wanted to do if they had all the options they wanted, it was just dealing with 2 birds with 1 stone.

If they can still sell the game at full price and millions will buy it even if its ALSO on gamepass day 1, they're not making it exclusive to gamepass.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

BruceCM

Yeah, even being 'timed' exclusive works for PS so I don't see why it wouldn't do for XBox .... &, of course, they count PC as 'their' platform, lol

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Jackpaza0508

Yo, my uncle's dad's sister's brother's cousin's son who works at nintendo sent me the list of everything in the next direct!

-Start with BOTW2
-End

He/Him

MarioBrickLayer

Game Pass has gone from 18m subscribers in January to 23m a few days ago, that's an extra half a Billion in revenue per year. More money is spent on gaming than any other form of entertainment, imagine how many extra subscribers they would get if they made all their AAA games exclusive and with xCloud you can play those games on any device with a browser? I also wouldn't be surprised if they buy at least one more major studio/publisher in the next 18 months.

MarioBrickLayer

VoidofLight

@Magician The thing is, media like movies or shows are different than things like Games. Movies usually are shown in theaters, and then later release on DVD. Right now, however, you can't view said movies in theaters due to the pandemic that's ongoing. Not to mention, a lot of people rather watch a movie in the comfort of their own homes over going to a theater, buying expensive food and drinks, and then watching a movie.

With games, people rather own them. People want to preserve games, and they want to play them for years and years. Eventually services like Stadia or Gamepass will die out, and exclusive games will go with them, unable to be played ever again. At least with Digital games, you still own the game itself, but with streaming.. you don't own anything.

Part of the reason Stadia is dying is because it's pushing streaming as the say all end all of gaming, when it's really not (sure you have the stuff where they're also charging full price for each game.. but it still applies). I highly doubt games would do well if they were strictly just exclusive to gamepass honestly.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Magician

VoidofLight wrote:

The thing is, media like movies or shows are different than things like Games. Movies usually are shown in theaters, and then later release on DVD. Right now, however, you can't view said movies in theaters due to the pandemic that's ongoing. Not to mention, a lot of people rather watch a movie in the comfort of their own homes over going to a theater, buying expensive food and drinks, and then watching a movie.

With games, people rather own them. People want to preserve games, and they want to play them for years and years. Eventually services like Stadia or Gamepass will die out, and exclusive games will go with them, unable to be played ever again. At least with Digital games, you still own the game itself, but with streaming.. you don't own anything.

Part of the reason Stadia is dying is because it's pushing streaming as the say all end all of gaming, when it's really not (sure you have the stuff where they're also charging full price for each game.. but it still applies). I highly doubt games would do well if they were strictly just exclusive to gamepass honestly.

@VoidofLight

All true.

Which is why folks should prepare for the paradigm shift MS is bringing to the video game industry.

Edited on by Magician

kkslider5552000

I mean, it would be the craziest thing if it happened, and I'd respect the boldness of doing so. But it would very immediately put their consoles even needing to exist into question and a lot of people would not buy into it, instead going to places that still sell their games on disc.

I'll just say, if they don't put another 60 dollar game (or I guess, "would obviously be sold at 60 if it was sold normally" game) as Gamepass only before this, its not happening. They're not starting this strategy (that you obviously just made up), with their biggest game.

There's a better chance Star Fox: Grand Prix comes out as far as I'm concerned.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MarioBrickLayer

@VoidofLight you're right that there are a large number of gamers who like to buy physical games (including me) but digital sales are now worth more than physical, and the jump from a eshop sale to buying a subscription isn't that big, especially with something like Game Pass where they care about old games being available to play.

Stadia is dying because google completely miss managed it and focused on ports of games people have already played rather than bring exclusive games to the platform.

Gaming is changing, Apple Arcade is doing well and is estimated that by 2024 will be responsible for 10% of Apples total revenue.

Microsoft already earn in the region of $2.5bn per year from Game Pass and they have hardly got going, they don't really advertise it (bought adds) and haven't released it's main features yet

MarioBrickLayer

Magician

kkslider5552000 wrote:

They're not starting this strategy (that you obviously just made up), with their biggest game.

@kkslider5552000

Halo Infinite?

No, probably they won't.

As far as questioning the relevance of the Xbox as a platform, well...
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-kinda-doesnt-care...

Edited on by Magician

MarioBrickLayer

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I mean, it would be the craziest thing if it happened, and I'd respect the boldness of doing so. But it would very immediately put their consoles even needing to exist into question and a lot of people would not buy into it, instead going to places that still sell their games on disc.

I'll just say, if they don't put another 60 dollar game (or I guess, "would obviously be sold at 60 if it was sold normally" game) as Gamepass only before this, its not happening. They're not starting this strategy (that you obviously just made up), with their biggest game.

There's a better chance Star Fox: Grand Prix comes out as far as I'm concerned.

For many people Game Pass would be far more affordable. imagine you're a parent with a 16 year old, you buy them an XBOX with Game Pass and they have access to loads of games, you'd never need to buy them a 60 dollar game. That could attract new people to gaming.

You can now get an XBOX console with no upfront cost with a 24 month game pass subscription from £20 in the UK.

They have already adopted this strategy with one of their biggest products - Office 365.

MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

@VoidofLight @kkslider5552000 @Magician
Microsoft have said Halo Infinite will be available on Game Pass on launch day.
https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/halo-infinite-xbox-game-pass/

Forbes are estimating they will have 30m subscribers by the time Halo launches in November, that's around an extra $750m in revenue per year compared to what they are earning now.

Forbes are also asking when will they hit 50m and 75m subscribers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/04/22/30-million-...

MarioBrickLayer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic