Forums

Topic: Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online

Posts 181 to 200 of 289

HobbitGamer

@Yosheel Apparently it’s being attempted to turn it into the “I don’t like this Online Subscription” thread, instead of discussing the “NES games included in sub” thread

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

GameOtaku

@FaeKnight
Those options are all extremely limited. If you were buying original carts you may not be able to come across a lot of them in the wild. The minis are limited to preloaded games so you are stuck. With the switch being portable much like the 3ds classic games would be ideal. (Heck the only reason I bought a switch in the first place was to get a large library of retro games and unlike how some argue the 3ds wasn't powerful enough is no excuse for the switch)

GameOtaku

HobbitGamer

@Yosheel ....Wow. done.gif, indeed. Thanks for the heads up. I say we keep this thread on topic

I started stacking baddies inside Yoshi shells last night like y’all pointed out, and it made the game more fun (imagine that). I did fairly well, until a rogue Blooper took me down.

Also, enough with all this about the way the NES games are available. It is what it is, and this thread is for talking about the actual games and app.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eel

Yup the game gets intense when you try to juggle one or two full stacks of enemies while you wait for the mystical top egg half.

Then you get 5 top halves in a row when you have nothing ready.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

GameOtaku

I can't wait to hear the discussions when they drop Milons Secret Castle or Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Y'all would probably think "this for $20?"

GameOtaku

FaeKnight

Honestly, @GameOtaku Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde isn't that good of a game. And yet, I did enjoy playing it. By the way, I had paid $10 for Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde back in the day. Note that that was just for one single game that I'd never played before. I played it a lot. As I said, it's not a particularly good game, but I did find it to be kind of fun.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

HobbitGamer

Na they haven’t addressed the friend/random thing that I’ve seen.
I’d say stick with Yoshi. I was awful the other day, but once I learned to breathe between speed ups it was better. It does throw me for a loop with the whole speed up, slow down shift
Getting all those top half’s when you don’t need them reminds me of the college humor Tetris vid.

#MudStrongs

FaeKnight

Well, yeah. I played it a decent amount. One game I'm kind of hoping we get for the NES app is Frankenstein. Sure it was a rather forgettable side scrolling action game. But it was a fun forgettable side scrolling action game.

Another one I would appreciate is Silver Surfer. Yeah, it was brutally hard. But that didn't make it a bad game, just a brutally hard one. Which to be fair, describes many NES era games.

FaeKnight

FaeKnight

I think today's standards keep getting pushed onto older games And today's standards are that anyone can eventually manage to beat a game without having to start from scratch. But that wasn't true of NES era games. They were often short, so tended to be really difficult to extend play time. Many times this was done via the simple mechanic of "you die in one hit". Something that's mostly disappeared by now. Or the game would have relentless waves of enemies, so you had to carefully time your platforming. Add in the fact that you had limited lives and frequently had limited continues too, and you were not promised the ability to beat the game.

What makes Contra so hard? Enemies can quickly fill the screen with bullets if you give them a chance. And you'll die if you get hit. What makes Ghosts N Goblins so hard (aside from the near pixel perfect platforming later stages can require)? It's the fact enemies never stop coming, and can come from either direction. Plus you can only survive one hit, assuming you have armor. By today's standards these would be classified as "bad game design". After all, modern games are often trying to tell a story. And you can't really tell a story to the player if they can't get past the 3rd stage

FaeKnight

FaeKnight

subpopz wrote:

FaeKnight wrote:

After all, modern games are often trying to tell a story. And you can't really tell a story to the player if they can't get past the 3rd stage

Funny thing is, Ninja Gaiden was the most frustrating for me because of this. A lot of NES games were brutally hard, like you say, as a way to extend the life of the game. But you didn't miss out on much story or plot as you knew most NES endings were just "A Winner is YOU!" and not much to them.
But then Ninja Gaiden came along. One of the first games to feature cutscenes and an interesting story. You got the reward of a new cutscene progressing the plot after every stage. And you always felt like if the intro was good (amazing intro) and the cutscenes between stages were that good, then the ending must be amazing. Yet it was brutally hard. I've still never finished it to this day and I started playing it when it was new.
My time has come when it comes to NES online. I'm gonna finally see that ending!

They released a novelization of Ninja Gaiden so you could experience the full story that way. Plus the book included tips for the game as well.

To be fair, back in the day I couldn't beat Final Fantasy. I got to the final area, but I just couldn't beat the game. I had trouble reaching the first of the Four Fiends for the rematch even. It wasn't until the game was released on Playstation as part of the Final Fantasy Origins set that I managed to finally beat the game.

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

I had to start from scratch in Tecmo. My Bears got knocked out in Week 4

#MudStrongs

GameOtaku

@FaeKnight
Don't get me wrong I love Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (Milons not so much) but the popular opinion is the are horrible games. I was very surprised to see Milons on vc when other games line castlevania legends or star tropics could've been available. I get different spokes for different folks but if they could put something out as poorly received as it why not others?

And yes I never back down from what I feel is right. Never. From comments from some of y'all neither do you.

GameOtaku

HobbitGamer

Hey, you ‘earned’ those restore points with real money made by an adult

#MudStrongs

koaeinferno

Yoshi is so underappreciated. I feel like most people don't bother to learn how to play it and call it a bad game.

Wii U is better than Switch/ Don't @me

HobbitGamer

I definitely agree with you there. It certainly has a lasting appeal, though. I’m glad it’s one of the first 20!

#MudStrongs

FaeKnight

subpopz wrote:

FaeKnight wrote:

They released a novelization of Ninja Gaiden so you could experience the full story that way. Plus the book included tips for the game as well.

Oh, I can't take the easy way out. Gotta earn it

Reading the book was not "the easy way out". It was not a good book. Very poorly written, and only loosely follows the plot of the game.

FaeKnight

Nemodius

anyone know (not hopes, assumptions or rumors) what games will be added to the NES roster ??? so far it's pretty pathetic, not so much the number of titles (though only 20 is very disappointing) but rather the titles themselves, sure a couple of good ones, but 3/4 were never that popular, I know, I was there, how about all Square and Enix titles (they were separate and competing companies at the time) I'd love Simon's Quest and Master Blaster, Gargoyle's Quest, Battle of Olympus, 720, The Guardian Legend, Spy Hunter, ect

put the great games out and throw in 1 or 2 of the lesser titles as a bonus or something

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

misanthrope

@jhewitt3476 Dude... they gave us River City Ransom immediately. Asking for more than that you are outright crying.

misanthrope

Nemodius

subpopz wrote:

Was it one of those "Worlds of Power" books by F.X. Nine? I'm pretty sure I read Blaster Master, Castlevania II and Mega Man 2 of those and they were just awful. Like the author wrote them solely based on the the cover art and blurb on the back of the box alone and never actually played or saw the games.

I feel your pain mio amico, I tried reading those also, I was SUPER hopeful about Simon's Quest because how much i love it, but was so heart broken, I admit I did not try Blaster Master because even though an awesome game, I just could not see it as a novel

now I do love both Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 1&2, they were done fantastically, the author must have played the game 5x each, he got it perfectly

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.