Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Posts 481 to 500 of 1,843

Spoony_Tech

@Ryu_Niiyama The demos are always the worst way to judge MH. I'm sure you've been told this but these demos are more for those that have played the series before. Being thrown into a middle of a fight with little to no explanation of what to do is not how the series truly is. If you look at the Gamexplain vid I posted I can see that being you and not really getting into it.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

zionich

This has to be the first game I am not enjoying the Joycon L and R buttons. I know I am rusty as he'll but those small buttons are making me fall apart lol.

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

Spoony_Tech

@zionich Couldn't do it with the joycons. Those 2 buttons suck for this game. If only they used rz for running instead it might have felt better. Mean while the pro controller feels excellent and I'm back to playing way better then before. Beats the Gamepad (MH3U), 3ds, 3ds with the cpp, and New 3ds. Monster Hunting has never felt more comfortable even for Tri on the Wii.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Reginald

@Ryu_Niiyama Maybe MH Stories might be more up your alley? I'm not a MH fan by any means and none of the main games appeal to me in the slightest (XX too for that matter), but I'm definitely looking forward to Stories.

Reginald

NightMoon

I really enjoy the demo. This is a game I could get into.

NightMoon

Switch Friend Code: SW-1763-0139-7023 | Nintendo Network ID: NightMoonArt

Haru17

Hmm, this is a paradoxical game. It's a 8/9th gen release but looks worse than the 7th gen Monster Hunter I played two main games ago in 2010. Like the upgraded clarity is nice, but all of the assets are still built for a smaller screen so it's hard to tell how things are moving sometimes because of the shadow system and large visual effects added to fit that smaller screen. I guess it's most noticeable on Valfalk in brave style because not only are both your and its animations super fast, but there are giant energy clouds going off all of the time. Also the jet dragon's design is such that it's hard to tell gray with shadows from the black highlights or in turn those highlights from his enrage mode when parts of him go dark red.

Anyway... I like Valfalk. Dude fights like a much better Gore Magala in several ways. (The shoulder wings acting like a third set of arms that attack, the projectile game, and I'm 90% sure the run animation is the same). It is, of course, a lot easier to follow than Gore because that beast was literally all black.

I like how quick the fight is while maintaining the visual tells that set Monster Hunter apart from so many other ARPGs. Valfalk is very much an end game fight, meant to be challenged after you have climbed the ladder of all of the Cross content. The quick turn animations are different from anything we've seen so far in Monster Hunter and very unique. The way V curls up its body before doing some of its jet attacks almost makes it feel like a panther/dragon hybrid. I like the jab animations with its wing talons, but it's too fast for me to be able to tell whether it's just the model stretching or if there is some sort of mechanical extension built into its body like cat's claws. And finally, the version of Rathalos' swoop attack from 3 where Valfalk jets so far away that it becomes a gleaming red star before swooping back down and exploding into the area is sick. It reminds me of how fun Dalamadur's surging bite was to dive away from.

Now's the part where I talk about Monster Hunter: World. Valfalk's explosion attack hits below its body and reminds me of Anjanath kicking hunters out from under it. Of course the red explosion is a lot larger of a hitbox than one foot at a time, I just wish that the wind up was slower or easier to see while the camera is wedged into its glow-in-the-dark belly. Lastly, the mounting animation is the same as Gore Magala's for no reason. After seeing Rathalos fly into the forest and actually out of bounds in World, it looks kinda silly for these flying monsters to prance around on the ground trying to shake a hunter off when they could literally fly upside down and do loop-de-loops to shake them off. Especially the jet dragon should violently launch into the sky and rapidly deplete the hunter's stamina meter, dumping them somewhere across the map and landing back where it was in seconds. I wish that was possible for this game.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

zionich

@Spoony_Tech I got my revenge on the Barioth Sns, no carts. I do find myself wanting my pro controller though.

Edited on by zionich

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

Ryu_Niiyama

@Spoony_Tech Heh, I've tried to give this series a chance for a while now just because I keep hearing how fun it is. I have 3U (still my longest played because it was on the wiiu and thus the tv...which is why I wanted to like XX) I bought 4U the day it came out and put it down pretty quickly...It is just sitting in my game case feeling forlorn. So I thought that I just didn't like this type of game, yet I really like Tōkiden, which I understand most Monster Hunter people will say is a poor knock off.

I feel the controls are less frustrating in Tōkiden for one and I think the setting and Japanese mythology influence might have some bearing on my enjoyment. However when I sit down and play them side by side I don't have fun in Monster Hunter...I can't figure out what it is. I've enjoyed other games with more restrictive movement (Loved NiOH before the switch came out and I'm a huge fan of the Way of the Samurai series) but I can't get this series to make me feel anything other than really, really bored or frustrated. However, Capcom is lucky I'm a fangirl about some things; if they put in the SailorMoon DLC from the 3ds game I'll still buy it.

I will say this is making me less interested in stories...which I was planning on getting because it is not quite Monster Hunter, but at this point I'm nervous it will be different in a way I still won't find enjoyable.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Reginald

@Tsurii Don't care. I'm not excited by XX, or World, or any main series MH game for that matter. Stories only appeals to me because it is closer to a traditional rpg, which I do enjoy.

Edited on by Reginald

Reginald

Joeynator3000

@Tsurii ...What's wrong with Stories? >.>

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Haru17

If you want the mechanic-poor number garbage of traditional RPGs then why would you be posting in a Monster Hunter thread? These games aren't really RPGs. You don't play them for the story or the crafting — they're optional multiplayer action games. In terms of narrative the verdict is still out on World, but it's not super likely to change the quest structure beyond fleshing out the 'hunt' portions of the hunt. It's still going to be you're put into an environment with some monsters and your objective is to kill one of them (or kill it until it's weak enough to trap).

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Unklemac

Oh my I enjoyed this yesterday!
Looks very decent on 65inch, but the real looker is the portable mode. The game plays so well with the procontroller, and does an excellent job with handheld-mode controls. I felt right at home.

I have about 700 hours in MH4U (lost my first save file with 400 hours!), and I think 300 hours in Generations. I am ready to sink another 300 hours into XX/G2

Unklemac

meleebrawler

@Joeynator3000 I dunno, man. All the criticisms I've seen him level at the game are ones that arguably equally apply to Pokemon. Main campaign somewhat easy, straightforward story, random elements in monster breeding or battling... none of which really deters Pokemon from selling massively. The only way I see Stories as being inferior to the former is simply not having as great a variety in monster selection, but that's kind of inevitable against 900+.

Anyway the demo. Brave style and Barufaruku were great and very fun... but then the realization sank in that "I can just play this demo to fight him with these weapons whenever I want, without having to fight through a bunch of been-there-done-that and translation". That and a number of games coming out seriously puts into question how much time I'd be willing to devote to this game at the moment.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
It helps to know what you're doing and use a weapon that clicks with you. Try long sword. Lead with X, then X, A, X, then AX at same time while holding direction you want to hop during fade slash, then rinse and repeat.

Use ZL to activate target lock when in same area as monster, then tap L to swing camera at monster, or double tap to swing behind you.

Use your flashbombs, and traps, and paralysis throwing knives... sharpen your weapon when it dulls below green, and eat well done steak when stamina drops. Use nulberry to cure status ailments, and when you build up your spirit gage for long sword, unleash the spirit combo with R, R, R, R, R etc

Trust me if you can get into Toukiden you'll love this 1000x more, if you know the mechanics and get good.

Plus, the hunts are way funner with others online, and making armor sets with awesome skills is crack.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama Don't try to force yourself to like it. While I agree the demos aren't a good way to try out these games, it sounds like you've already tried 3U and 4U and didn't enjoy them.

Some people just don't enjoy certain things. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you or the way you played: sometimes the gameplay just doesn't click.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

bezerker99

I don't even download demos anymore. And if I do I never play them. (looking at you Hey Pikmin!)

I love the Monster Hunter series of games but the demos are absolutely dreadful. Just buy the games and don't waste your time with anything else.

Oh, a Monster Hunter Stories demo is out on 3DS? Time to ignore my own advice.....downloading that sucker right now lol!

Edited on by bezerker99

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah Agreed. I'll try out the Stories demo and see if I still want the game. I will say this has prompted me to pick up the PC version of Tōkiden 2 as well as the vita version and trade in my Ps4 copy (I like playing with an xbox controller and I want the vita version for the portability). I may trade in 4U as well... I don't like trading in games but I really don't think Monster Hunter is for me.

@JaxonH I know Monster Hunter is your life blood and I appreciate the advice, but I've tried this series three times and it just isn't for me I think (watch me end up liking World or something lol). Time to cut my losses. I do hope you have a ton of fun with it though. I'll pop over to your Japanese thread from time to time to see how that is going for you.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NightMoon

Well I got super killed by the last quest. Holy cow, that thing's no joke.

NightMoon

Switch Friend Code: SW-1763-0139-7023 | Nintendo Network ID: NightMoonArt

Ralizah

Been playing the MH Stories demo.

Stupid Nargacuga!

@Ryu_Niiyama It's kind of the opposite for me. While I've yet to give Toukiden a fair shake, I have tried out a variety of other hunting-type games (primarily on Vita) and have enjoyed none of them. MonHun is the only hunting series I've found that satisfied me on a gameplay level. I didn't like the demo for Toukiden, but I also didn't spend a lot of time with it, so my opinion isn't settled on that.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Taya

I'm going to skip the demo (it's only going to make me antsy) and download the full game in a few weeks. And then if capcom localizes it in the future I'll probably end up getting the physical release of the english game.

Taya

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic