Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime 1 Remastered

Posts 101 to 120 of 433

skywake

One negative thing I will say about it. The Wii style control scheme doesn't quite land in the same way it did on the Wii. Maybe I'm misremembering how good it was but it was definitely better than this I think. Although I'm not blaming the game, it's definitely the hardware. The JoyCon just simply doesn't have the weight or the precision of the WiiMote and in a game like this it really falls short

I felt the same way about Super Mario Galaxy and to a lesser degree Skyward Sword. Metroid Prime is by far the worst translation of the WiiMote out of the three. But again, not the fault of the game. Definitely more a case of this being one of the more demanding games in terms of precision. I just really wish Nintendo had found a way to support the WiiMote. At this point outside of the Wii U GamePad it's really the only controller form they don't support from their history (ok, they don't support the Wii U Pro Controller either but the Switch Pro Controller is functionally identical)

With that said, dual stick with gyro? It's pretty damn good. Probably better than the WiiMote controls if I was being honest and didn't have that huge soft-spot for the Wii era

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Joeynator3000

...Even on the lowest setting, gyro just makes me all shaky, either that or it's barely helpful at all...bleh. >.<

Anyways, 3rd boss down, now comes the part that everyone hates....artifacts. xD

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

StarPoint

I really think that Prime 2 and 3 remasters are on the way. The fact that Nintendo just shadow dropped this and didn’t make a huge deal about it is my main reasoning why. I think there’s a good chance that we get remasters of both 2 and 3 before Prime 4 comes out. I think it would maybe make sense for them to release Prime 2 remaster maybe this September or next February, and then Prime 3 either next February or June 2024, with Prime 4 to then follow Q3/Q4 2024.

That’s probably much too wishful of thinking considering the quality of the first game’s remaster, but I feel like that would be a great strategy for them to follow. I don’t think it would make sense for them to release the remasters after Prime 4 comes out, so to me this seems like a possibility.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

WaffleBoat

I love Metroid Prime so freaking much.

I fear no man
but that thing:
The carrot minigame from bowser's inside story
it scares me

HotGoomba

Waiting for the physical release. Cannot wait. Gotta finish a lot of games first. Yay.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Tendo64

Opted not to go out drinking tonight in favour of playing this. Not many games can do that with me. 😂

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Cia

How do you change beams with the dual stick setup? Can you do it on the fly like with the classic setup?

Cia

MarioBrickLayer

@StarPoint @JaxonH my prediction...
2023 - Metroid Prime (waiting for the physical is torture!)
2024 - Metroid Prime 4
2025 - Metroid Prime 2
2026 - Metroid Prime 3
2027 - Metroid 6
2028 - Metroid: Samus Returns Port
2029 or 2030 - Metroid Prime 5

I wonder if Metroid Prime 4 will benon the Switch or not? At this stage you could see if being a launch/year 1 title for the Switch 2...if so, is ir cross gen?

MarioBrickLayer

Grumblevolcano

@MarioBrickLayer My prediction is:

• Summer/Fall 2023 - Metroid Prime 2
  • Early/Spring 2024 - Metroid Prime 3
  • Fall 2024 - Metroid Prime 4
  • Fall 2025 - Samus Returns remaster
  • Fall 2026 - Metroid 6

Where Metroid Prime 4's ending is the opening cutscene of Samus Returns.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@skywake
Thats to be expected. Gyro as a technology simply can't replicate IR tracking. There's nothing that can be done about that. It is what it is. The Wiimote pointer controls are mostly included as a novelty for nostalgia, as the dual analog + gyro is vastly superior and the pinnacle of modern control schemes, as you use right analog for camera rather than aiming at the edge of the screen.

I'm just happy they included both GC and Wii control schemes for purists, though I myself have long since had my fill those control schemes with earlier playthroughs.

I do like that you can toggle gyro off for dual sticks, because I walk (pace back and forth) for an hour or two each day for exercise, and gyro being active causes the camera to go buck wild. So for exercise play I make due with dual stick only, then turn gyro back on when I'm done.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

I-U

I'm saved at the gunship after acquiring the Ice Beam, and this experience has been amazing so far. With each iteration, Prime has gotten better, and now I would say it's a coin toss between Prime and Super Metroid as the best formulaic Metroid games for me. Compared to the overall series, I would only have Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime: Federation Force higher than this. If there comes a day when I can have control of Samus in Prime the way I do in Hunters, I think that would be an incredible experience.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

JaxonH

Concerning Prime 2 and Prime 3, let's go back to the original leak from Emily Rogers:

Untitled

Seems the original plan was in fact to fully remaster them same as Prime 1, but the pandemic may have changed plans. Whether the other 2 games will follow is yet tbd. Could be they get full Remastered treatment, could be they just do quick, HD ports with new controls if they don't have the resources, or, worst case, they cancel them.

I'm going for the optimistic outlook and say they're coming. I really hope they're remastered like Prime because Echoes is my favorite of the 3, and I desperately want to see Torvus Bog in these new graphics.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MarioBrickLayer

@JaxonH That's interesting!! Assuming 2 and 3 are remastered to the same quality, what order would you rank them in and how many make it into your top 10 Nintendo Switch games? I haven't played 2 or 3.

MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

@Grumblevolcano Personally it would be great if you're right! Having the chance to play Metroid Prime 1 - 3 before 4 would be great! I wonder if Nintendo consider that too much in a short period though? Could these remasters sell millions of copies each?

Retro have recruited a number of interesting people over the past few years, if everything is going well, I hope they can keep the team together to create Metroid Prime 5, and with Metroid 6 rumoured and so many port/remaster options, there would be no rush for it to come out.

MarioBrickLayer

JaxonH

@MarioBrickLayer
Metroid Prime 2 has always been my favorite. Whether that would still be the case today is as of yet unknown. I liked how the areas weren't typical environments (snow, ice, water, etc). They felt like a natural ecosystem. I also liked the darker tone of Prime 2 and traveling back and forth between Light and Dark Aether, similar to Zelda, Link Between Worlds.

The criticism of many largely comes down to the tedium of your health slowly draining when not encased in a light bubble in Dark Aether. And... I can understand that. From an outside perspective, it does sound like a mechanic that could be aggravating. But when I played the game I loved it. It added to the sense of tension and danger while traversing the dark planet. Granted, back when I played it 20 years ago I had no job and got high on morphine pills all day, so perhaps that contributed to my extraordinary patience with such mechanics.

I think Prime 3 was my least favorite, but make no mistake- all three games are neck and neck in my book. Ranking on an ordinal scale necessitates one game coming last, but when viewed on a variable scale, all three games are clustered extremely close together in terms of how good they are overall.

My gut instinct is to say all 3 rank in my top 10, as well as Metroid Dread.

StarPoint

@JaxonH Prime 2 is an excellent, excellent game through and through. It’s a sequel in the best sense of the word: Creative environments, fleshed out mechanics, and more puzzles. The game has such a strong, oppressive atmosphere that hardly any other game that I’ve played has. Some of its highs even surpass Prime 1’s highs. Sanctuary Fortress alone is enough to make it one of the best games of all time for me.

However, I think where this game falters and why I view it just slightly below Prime 1 is with the strange pacing and backtracking. Game Makers Toolkit actually has a really good video talking about the world design of this game, and while it’s generally excellent, there are a few moments that really make you question the decisions that were made. Like for example, in Dark Torvuus Bog, once you get the water jet pack or whatever it’s called (basically just the gravity suit), you then go to a completely different location to utilize it and continue on with the game. Eventually you receive the Spider Ball, and this is where I got stuck for hours. Turns out, the area where you got the water jetpack also has a spider railing in one specific room that could easily have been forgotten at that point. So you need to do some insane backtracking in order to reach that location again.

It’s just a confusing choice and I’m pretty sure there’s one more like it somewhere else in the game that I’m forgetting. Prime 2 is phenomenal and it left a great impression on me, but those couple of pace-breaking moments just lower the game slightly for me.

If anyone’s wondering, I rank the games as: Prime 1, Prime 2, Prime 3 With all of them being nearly neck and neck with each other.

Edited on by StarPoint

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

GameOtaku

I wonder if they will release all three remastered games in a Remastered Prime Trilogy? I’m seriously considering outright skipping this until then.

As far as remasters go this seems to be one of the better ones Nintendo has had a hand in. Skyward Sword still has that weird control scheme but this remaster of Prime seems to have completely overhauled.

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

FragRed

@GameOtaku I’ve been thinking this as well. If Nintendo does go ahead with remastering the second and third games, will they eventually release them as a complete trilogy. I have this nagging feeling they won’t because Nintendo loves money and if this game does well as a standalone release, it may give more reasons to just make you only buy them individually. But it’s Nintendo and it’s impossible to guess.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

@GameOtaku @FragRed
I can almost certainly guarantee no Trilogy. The moment they decided to remaster separately, the idea of a Trilogy goes out the window. It ain't gonna happen. Not just because the games will be $40 each, not just because file size would exceed 16GB, but because there's just no good reason to.

FragRed

@JaxonH This is why I don’t believe the rumours of Wind Waker HD & Twilight Princess HD being packaged together. Makes no sense.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic