Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Posts 121 to 140 of 2,144

kkslider5552000

Yeah, this is probably what I'd consider the best Mario Kart release ever. Mario Kart 8 was the best Mario Kart in terms of core gameplay and aesthetic, but now it got has the content to compete with DS even, so that's good!

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Emperor-Palpsy

@rallydefault "we literally don't know why they named it Splatoon 2 yet"

My guess is this; Nintendo weren't interested in creating an entirely new Mario Kart, so an enhanced port that fixed its major problems was a quicker option. However, if they approached Splatoon in the same fashion, that would be a P.R. nightmare. Mario Kart 8 was one of the best selling games on the Wii U, so if all they had to do was make some adjustments and add battle arenas, you're going to reach a greater audience that never owned a Wii U; at minimal investment.

The original Splatoon was more a proof of concept than anything as it was an entirely new I.P. By the time the game had released, Switch development would have been well underway and they would have had the resources to begin making a sequel that took advantage of the new hardware. Conversely, Mario Kart 8 was already very good looking game and had all those tracks, including DLC, to offer.

Edited on by Emperor-Palpsy

cackle

StuTwo

FragRed wrote:

@rallydefault In that case why make Splatoon 2 a sequel? Why not just port it over like Mario Kart 8 and add to it?

I think there's so much that Nintendo could be planning to add to Splatoon with Splatoon 2. For a start off a new single player campaign (the original was fantastic - if a little short).

But other than that new modes, asynchronous team modes, 3 teams instead of 2, special environmental things from the single player in multiplayer (like the zip wires) etc. These are all potentially pretty big things that would need a lot of programming and would interfere with the balance of the original.

By contrast Mario Kart 8 is very feature rich. It needs a better battle mode and more tracks but otherwise it just needs minor tweaks. So that's what we're getting.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

kkslider5552000

Even just the jetpack weapon alone probably adds more to Splatoon's gameplay then anything Mario Kart 7 did for Mario Kart, so there's that.

Therad

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Even just the jetpack weapon alone probably adds more to Splatoon's gameplay then anything Mario Kart 7 did for Mario Kart, so there's that.

mk7 added customisable vehicles. The question is what did mk8 add gameplay wise?

Therad

CM30

Well it added anti gravity mechanics. That's something, right?

Either way, I do feel Nintendo could have came up with a compelling Mario Kart 9. I mean, change the tracks, add Deluxe's battle system and new characters and hey, much more new feeling Mario Kart game as a result.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

SuperJoon

TBH, with how the sales were on the Wii U not many people probably got to play it, if the Switch interests more people, and it has excellent sales, this is a good way forward for them.

It gives people the opportunity to play Mario Kart 8 who never originally and gives Nintendo the time to develop the next one.

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Therad wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

mk7 added customisable vehicles. The question is what did mk8 add gameplay wise?

Nothing, It was just significantly better than 7 in nearly every way (now literally every way on Switch). And all of 7's additions that carried over to 8 I honestly felt added more to 8's tracks then it did 7's.

LzWinky

DLC tracks, better online for a start

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

OorWullie

Considering the Wii U's small install base MK8 sold brilliantly.If the Switch is even moderately succesful,MK8/Deluxe combined should reach 20 million.If the Switch is a huge success and/or MK8 Deluxe becomes a pack in it could get close to or even pass MK Wii numbers.Of course,being 2 separate releases,it'll have cheated to get there but I don't think Nintendo will care about that.They can celebrate MK8 being one of if not the most successful entry in its long running series.

Super Mario Kart 8.76
Mario Kart 64 9.87
Mario Kart: Super Circuit 5.91
Mario Kart: Double Dash! 7
Mario Kart DS 23.6
Wii Mario Kart Wii 36.83
Mario Kart 7 13.94
Mario Kart 8 8

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Haru17

kkslider5552000 wrote:

[Mario Kart 8] was just significantly better than 7 in nearly every way (now literally every way on Switch).

I am growing ridiculously excited to finally play Mario Kart 8 for myself, especially if it has new DLC. Battlemode is whatever, but the tracks look so good and interesting. I can't wait to play this with my dad who's all into sports, but not very adept at games like most people.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

OorWullie

@Haru17 It really is superb.The graphics still impress me.I was showing my mates a few months back who all play on Xbone and they were all impressed by it.With Deluxe being in 1080p and hopefully some anti aliasing added,it will look even better.I do hope DLC comes sooner rather than later though as not having any new tracks is a bit of a sore one for Wii U owners.I'll no doubt play countless hours of Battlemode like I did with MK Wii but I prefer to race.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Eclipse_Dj

FragRed wrote:

@rallydefault I don't know, I feel this is merely something Nintendo threw out there with a new battle mode, which for all we know could have been planned as DLC for the Wii U but cancelled.

This was my feeling, Mario Kart 8 was almost perfect on Wii U and I loved that you could download add-on packs offering new tracks and characters but I was always holding out hope that we would eventually see true Battle Mode arenas offered as DLC. I would definitely pay another £11 if I could download the new battle arenas and characters to my Wii U version but sadly it looks as though that isn't going to happen now and the only way to play them is by upgrading my entire system, such a shame.

Eclipse_Dj

elhozzo

really hoping this is no more than $20 to upgrade from Wii U version with DLC to Deluxe , and $30 to upgrade from the basic Mario Kart 8 to Deluxe.
obviously if they surprise us and its only $10 or something, great ... but those prices (specifically up to $20 since I have paid $72 or so on Wii U already) would make it day 1 for me

elhozzo

AlliMeadow

@elhozzo how could they make it less for people with the Wii U version? How would they know? It might work for digital if the switch has the same account system as Wii U / 3DS, but if not they won't have a way to know who bought what.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

rallydefault

Eclipse_Dj wrote:

FragRed wrote:

@rallydefault I don't know, I feel this is merely something Nintendo threw out there with a new battle mode, which for all we know could have been planned as DLC for the Wii U but cancelled.

This was my feeling, Mario Kart 8 was almost perfect on Wii U and I loved that you could download add-on packs offering new tracks and characters but I was always holding out hope that we would eventually see true Battle Mode arenas offered as DLC. I would definitely pay another £11 if I could download the new battle arenas and characters to my Wii U version but sadly it looks as though that isn't going to happen now and the only way to play them is by upgrading my entire system, such a shame.

Yea, they probably had this planned for the Wii U before it became apparent the system wasn't going to bounce back.

But here's my thought: If Mario Kart Deluxe sells like crazy on the Switch, Nintendo would be INSANE to not start monetizing it and offering more DLC packs.

That's my thought. Now reality is that we're dealing with Nintendo lol

rallydefault

FragRed

@rallydefault Yes and no. It all depends on when exactly Nintendo is looking to reveal and then sell Mario Kart 9.

If Nintendo were to look at revealing the nineth game in the series at E3 2018 for a first half 2019 then they may consider using that potential DLC for either beefing up the base MK 9 game, or for its DLC. But if there's no plans to reveal any new games for say 2 years or more, then putting DLC onto the Deluxe game isn't necessarily a bad idea as it would certainly help persuade those who didn't buy the game due to owning it on the Wii U to finally make the purchase.

Personally I'd rather Nintendo focus on the next installment and then begin adding DLC to that game.

Edited on by FragRed

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

rallydefault

@FragRed
Yea, I can see that, but it's weird. Mario Kart 8 is fantastic, and with the addition of the battle mode and 2-item holding, it pretty much has "everything."

I just worry what they might force with a Mario Kart 9. I don't think we need a Mario Kart 9 for at least a couple more years - DLC for this one (more maps, battle options, items) would be amazing, in my opinion.

rallydefault

gcunit

What have people got against the coins?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic