Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,401 to 2,420 of 3,125

StuTwo

Apportal wrote:

@Octane I'd prefer it if you didn't have to do anything... you collected the 100th coin and you immediately got the star. If they wanted to continue playing the level, then the popup message would ask them if they wanted to, or return to the castle. That's what I'd do at least.

The 100 coin stars/shines are a pain anyway so I'm glad Galaxy got rid of them.

I think that the idea of the 100 coin stars/shines as a reward for truly mastering the level is a great idea... that never really worked well.

Galaxy's approach (the 100 purple coins levels) are much better in my opinion. They achieve the same thing but they don't force the game to have a 100 coin star against its nature like I'd argue is the case on Rainbow Ride and Tick Tock Clock. The purple comet stars (if a level has one) take different formats that better suit the level but they still give require you to really poke around the corners of the bigger sandbox levels.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Octane

Underwater controls in 64 and Galaxy are awful. Especially when the game doesn't allow you to control the camera in Galaxy. Try navigating three dimensions with a single control stick.

Octane

HexagonSun

How many of you have the poison river shine in Sunshine? The really annoying one that requires riding yoshi to the little island in Delphino Plaza. I just got it and it wasn't quite as hard as I remembered. Sure, it's annoying, but I had it in my mind that it was near impossible. I didn't use any glitches. I had about 17 lives built up and I had eight left after completing it. Luckily, there's a 1up halfway down the river that I was able to collect about half the time.

Honestly, the pachinko stage was worse. That had me fighting against the strange physics of that stage and takes a fair amount of patience.

Now it's just a matter of finding the rest of the blue coins. It would have been nice if the developers let you know how many we're in each of the world's sub levels.

HexagonSun

Octane

@HexagonSun The lily pad ride took me 2 tries, but I also fell in the water twice with Yoshi. Getting Yoshi to the island is definitely the more annoying part.

Octane

HexagonSun

@Octane Not bad. It took me several tries on the lily pad. The yoshi ride is definitely the more annoying part, though. At least you can skip the first boat ride by taking the tunnel to the first little island.

I 100% completed the game back after it originally came out on the GameCube and haven't attempted the level in maybe 15 years. I built it up in my mind to be much harder than it actually is. Sunshine just requires a little more patience than the other 3D Mario games.

HexagonSun

porto

@HexagonSun there is a hidden map you can use by pressing L.
Hover over all the sub worlds and you’ll see how many still need to be collected.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Octane

@HexagonSun I've completed the game more times than I care to remember, so it's all muscle memory at this point. Galaxy is a lot easier, and I've also almost completed that game on 3D All-Stars. Mario 64 is definitely the most difficult one I think. On the N64 it was easier, but somehow the Switch controller doesn't work for me. It doesn't help that my Joy-Con is drifting either.

Octane

HexagonSun

@Apportal I know about that, but each shine mission has different blue coins specific to that mission. I wish it told how many per mission was collected.

@Octane Mario 64 is the one I completed the most, so for me it's the easiest of the three. You are right that it's easier with an N64 controller. I have an N64 hooked up to my HDTV through an Eon Super 64. Mario 64 is my most played game on the system. I suppose it just depends on which one you've spent the most time with.

Edited on by HexagonSun

HexagonSun

porto

@HexagonSun oh I see. I get what you’re saying. That was one of the most annoying things about the game, not knowing where some of them were.

porto

HexagonSun

@Apportal Yes. It almost makes it necessary to consult a guide, so you're not aimlessly searching each mission in each world for missed coins.

HexagonSun

Bolt_Strike

So I just did Cliffspring Cave (the no FLUDD challenge in Bianco Hills Episode 6 with the flipping red and blue platforms) and I notice these dotted lines everywhere that I don't remember being in the original:

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Is this supposed to be an intentional addition to help people see where the platforms are moving or is this a debug artifact they forgot to remove?

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

porto

I got back into Galaxy three days ago If I remember correctly, and I've already beaten Bowser for the final time and collected 77 stars. Playing Galaxy on a handheld just feels so right. It's much easier to get star bits, and it makes the bubble breeze sections a cakewalk.

I forgot how easy the Purple Coin missions were. Aside from the FreezeFlame galaxy -which was the hardest one for me- the others were no challenge at all. I think FreezeFlame is the hardest just because of how big the world is, how far apart the coins are spread out, and the abundant gaps to fall in, especially on the second mountain.

I'll never understand people's complaint's with Deep Dark Galaxy's purple coins. It's not a lot of space, and 90% of the coins are either grouped or hidden in plain sight. It's a tad tedious but not hard by any means.

Edited on by porto

porto

porto

@Octane The underwater controls in Galaxy are fine, if not perfect as far as I'm concerned. It can be difficult getting Mario underwater in the first place, but swimming is fast and effective, something 64 and Sunshine both need desperately.

porto

RR529

@Bolt_Strike, @Octane, there was an article on the main site awhile ago that brought it up. The "path cubes" are a debug element that for some reason show up during gameplay when the game is being run on certain emulators (apparently including the one used within 3D All Stars).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Octane

@RR529 Yeah, that's what I thought. It's just a simple ROM dump after all.

Octane

porto

@RR529 I thought the path cubes were just to show where the platforms were going. I thought it was a nice inclusion. I didn't know it was a whole other issue in itself.

Edited on by porto

porto

Bolt_Strike

@RR529 Oh yeah. I think I just ignored that article because I was busy with 64. Not the end of the world, but it is kind of bothersome that they left that in.

On an unrelated note, I've moved onto Galaxy since I've now 100%'d Sunshine. Man, I forgot how much they throw Star Bits at you. They hand them out like they're candy. Which, they pretty much are to Lumas, but you know what I mean (man, why didn't they make Star Bit candies back when this game came out? Major missed marketing opportunity there). They shower you with an insane amount of Star Bits and I'm almost to 99 Lives without really trying that hard.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Lindhardt

I have around 101 stars in Mario Galaxy. I don't think it is possible to get all the stars in one play through, because some of the Prankster Comets are refusing to show up.

Favorite Games:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Portal 2
3. Hollow Knight
4. Fallout 4
5. Persona 4: Golden

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic