Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,221 to 2,240 of 3,125

Banjo-

@Blooper987 It's easy! Just push the stick forward. In the castle, talk to the Toads, three of them hold a star.

Banjo-

Banjo-

@ToadBrigade Welcome! And you are right, Super Mario Sunshine is the best Mario 3D game šŸ˜.

Banjo-

Banjo-

@ToadBrigade We did our rankings too some pages ago. I hope you enjoy Super Mario 64, it's my second favourite. We have posted a lot of tips for it, if you find trouble let us know šŸ™‚.

Banjo-

Blooper987

Sunshine looks really good in HD

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Ralizah

Finally collected all 120 stars in Super Mario 64.

And...

yeah, definitely still bottom of the list. I think this game really needs to be played on the N64 to appreciate the movement at all. Physics still suck. Levels are somehow tiny AND yet still feel lacking in features/content (although a few, like Shifting Sand Land and Tiny-Big Island, bucked the trend and did impress me conceptually and in terms of how dense they were). And almost every really horrible world plays this demented carnival music that really gets on my nerves. In general, musically, this game is super weak. The game is like a pile of irritations stacked one atop the other, and while I did eventually get fairly good at controlling Mario, I'd struggle to call any part of my time with it "fun."

I did keep coming back to it, but that was largely me hate-playing the game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

MarioVillager92

@Blooper987 @ToadBrigade Yeah I agree with you two. Although the graphics are the same, they look great while being upscaled to 1080p. Sunshine didn't have widescreen support back on the GameCube, so that was a welcome addition when brought over to SM3DAS.

Just throwing this out there, too, ToadBrigade - Galaxy is my favorite 3D Mario game. Once you get your hands on 3D World + Bowser's Fury, hope you enjoy it. 3D World is one of my favorites too!

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Banjo-

@Ralizah That song that is repeated in too many courses and that you defined as demented carnival music is the only song that I don't like in the game but I have heard arrangements made by fans that fixed it. It's like Cool Cool Mountain's song, the video posted on this thread has a much better arrangement. Those two songs get a bit annoying after a while. I Disagree with the rest of your comment šŸ˜.

Banjo-

HobbitGamer

@Ralizah You sure did max out for a game that you despise so much. I think you actually love it, but you're doing your best to convince yourself and us otherwise.
Don't worry, I won't tell.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Lindhardt

I purchased this game 2 days after launch and I am having a good time playing these games. I tried getting into 64, but I already beat it on the DS, and I am getting annoyed by the camera. This collection is my first time playing Sunshine, and I think it is a little overrated. It is still a really good game, but the bugs and really frustrating parts make it feel less fun to me. Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite game of all time, I love the areas and the creativity of it. I feel like the motion control parts like the Ball and Ray are a little easier, (or it is because I am older then when I first played it).

Favorite Games:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Portal 2
3. Hollow Knight
4. Fallout 4
5. Persona 4: Golden

NotTelevision

Another curious design choice in Sunshine is how it boots you out of every level, even if you donā€™t get a Game Over. Why wouldnā€™t they just let you try that rollercoaster section in Pinata Park again after you failed? Or that blooper surfing level? I could understand if getting to the start of the mission was part of the challenge, but it isnā€™t.

Glad I played Sunshine, but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll ever want to go back to it.

NotTelevision

Lindhardt

@ToadBrigade In the corner of the screen there should be a "stop watching" button. Click on that and it should stop.

Edited on by Lindhardt

Favorite Games:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Portal 2
3. Hollow Knight
4. Fallout 4
5. Persona 4: Golden

porto

@Ralizah I agree. I wish Nintendo at least fixed the controls and camera for the switch. It shouldnā€™t be that hard. But, Iā€™m not a game designer so I donā€™t know

I found the small levels to be my favorites. I donā€™t like the levels that make you go to the top of the course like 3 times to get a star. Take Tall, Tall Moutain for example. 3 stars up at the tippity-top. And that trek ainā€™t exactly short either...

Something I do like about 64 rather then Sunshine are the original levels. There were a lot of oddities, but some of 64ā€™s levels were really unique and fun to do. Sunshine on the other hand mostly revolves around secret stages or red coin missions.

Edited on by porto

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

porto

@NotTelevision I hate that as well. The long ass transition is pointless. And it makes the secret stages 10x harder having to go back to them if you die trying to get in. Thatā€™s what I love about Galaxy. It boots you out if you get a Game Over, but not if you die like the other two do. It even saves your progress sometimes!

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

HexagonSun

Well, I've been playing non-stop since I got my copy. I've got about 60 stars/shines in each game. I've played all three of these games to death through the years, but I've never had playthroughs of all three simultaneously. Each one is a masterpiece in its own right. 3D Allstars has given me a chance to more closely compare the games. I was playing Odyssey before it released, so I'm able to closely compare that one as well.

64 remains my favorite 3D Mario game and perhaps my all-time favorite game. This version stands out for its refreshed graphics. Everything looks crisp and clear the way I remember the game when it originally released. It's almost as good as the original, but the game was built around the N64 controller and it shows. The N64's C buttons will probably always feel better than an analog stick. The camera is actually very good when playing on an N64, but it doesn't translate well to modern controllers. Still, this release feels miles ahead of the Wii/Wii U virtual console releases. I'm personally glad it didn't get a full remake, as I think the game is near perfection the way it is.

Sunshine is more fantastic than I gave it credit for in the past. The hub world is the best in the series and each world is not only expertly crafted, but as a whole, isle Delphino feels very cohesive. Exploring the levels for blue coins is a delight. More than any of the other games, Sunshine feels like a game for veterans of the series. It's unforgiving in its difficulty, but that's part of its charm. I'm surprised how much I don't miss the analog shoulder buttons in this release. I have the original, so it's easy for me to see how much the performance is improved over the original. There was a lot of slowdown in the original release, so I appreciate the smooth frame rate. The game looks great with the upscaled resolution. It's definitely not a flawless game, as some shines feel downright sadistic in their execution. At times it feels like you're fighting with the controller just to perform the way you want to. It's a game that requires a good deal of patience, but feels very rewarding when you complete a difficult objective.

Contrary to popular opinion, Galaxy is my least favorite of the three. That's simply down to taste. I prefer the exploration/adventure titles over the purely linear games. That's not to say I'm not loving the game. There really isn't a 3D Mario game that I don't love, so my observations are all subtle graduations of excellence. The music in Galaxy is, perhaps, the best in the series. Everything controls great docked and is more than serviceable in handheld. Galaxy, more than the others, looks like a modern game. It's as tight, fun and fast paced as the original. Only, it looks so much better. It will really be hard to go back to the Wii version after being spoiled on this one.

I've also been evaluating how these games stack up to Odyssey. Odyssey is my second favorite 3D Mario after 64. It takes what I love about 64 and Sunshine and gives me a lot of it. Searching for moons feels more like searching for blue coins in Sunshine than Stars in 64. That's a positive, in my opinion. There's just so much content of every difficulty level that I can really tailor a play session to my taste. As far as how Mario controls, this game feels like the true successor to 64. I hardly even use the motion controls and don't feel like I'm missing a thing. Mario finally has all his moves back and then some. Capturing enemies makes for a great power up replacement. Having put over a hundred hours into Odyssey, it feels endlessly replayable. Just like the others.

Well, these are just my biased opinions about a series I love so much. I'm having a blast playing through 3D Allstars. I hope everyone else is having fun with these most excellent games. Sunshine really deserves to be played by all those who missed it. I know there's a lot of controversy around the limited release of old games that weren't remade in modern graphics. I couldn't be happier to have these games in their original format playable anywhere.

HexagonSun

Ralizah

Playing Sunshine after 64 is such a revelation. I mean, I've played it before, but it feels better than ever after subjecting myself to the N64 abomination for weeks. Just the sheer feel of the platforming is... visceral, and solid. Mario doesn't feel like a vehicle with a broken accelerator, either.

@BlueOcean My bigger issue is with the lack of musical variety in the game. It feels like two or three songs played across the majority of worlds in this game.

But the music itself... yeah, was never impressive. A lot of it was actively annoying. Bob-omb Battlefield's theme is catchy, but that's about it.

I didn't mention the boss fights, but god, they're horrendous. Run behind the thing and throw it. Rinse and repeat. The only difference is Bowser is having to be obnoxiously specific about your timing when you release him, so that he can hit these tiny bombs at the edges of the levels.

The only halfway acceptable boss encounter in that game was the thing in the pyramid.

And the camera is possibly one of the worst I've ever encountered in a video game. Not only is movement a nightmare, but even trying to see where you're going is a trial.

@HobbitGamer Well, I did set out with the goal of doing everything, so that I'd have no regrets and never need to play it again. My opinion on it is in such contrast with the accepted consensus that I always felt like I must be missing something.

But I'm not missing anything. The game has aged like milk.

@Apportal I dunno, I feel like several of Sunshine's sprites were inventive, whereas the majority of the content in 64 is copy-paste. Find the red coins. Collect 100 coins. Race the turtle. Get to the end/top of the course. Some of them are even so basic that they recall moons from SMO, except Odyssey doesn't pretend like getting random collectibles is some great achievement. I might re-evaluate after replaying Sunshine, though.

There's definitely a lot of level diversity compared to Sunshine, but I thought Sunshine was interesting insofar as all of its stages were based on a similar location/theme. Whereas, aside from some creative choices (tick tock clock and tiny-huge island come to mind), most of 64's levels are boilerplate Mario level templates.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

NintendoByNature

Just finished sunshine tonight! Finished 64 last week and now I'm onto galaxy (for the most part, it'll be my first time since I only played a handful of hours back at launch). I absolutely love this collection to pieces. Very few games this year have gripped me where I wouldn't play anything else like this collection is doing. Looking forward to galaxy tomorrow šŸ˜„

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Zeldafan79

Hey guys in mario 64 course 10 (2nd snow level) Is there any way to get to the little igloo up the ramp if you've already used the turtle shell from the question block? I assume you can shoot up there with the Cannon but i never know where i should be aiming it to shoot up there if possible. Also if you already killed the twirly things to bounce you up to the shell block can the Cannon get you over that wall as well?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

1UP_MARIO

@Zeldafan79 long jump to the ramp. Hold the jump button down and keep mashing b to do the flying kick up the slope.
You can go up all slopes by holding the jump button down and mashing B

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Zeldafan79

@1UP_MARIO
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic