Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,141 to 2,160 of 3,125

rallydefault

@BlueOcean
A proper Mario 64 remaster for the Switch (or Switch 2...ha) would be the best 3D platformer on any system, in my opinion.

@Beaucine
That was an excellent post. It seems we have a similar taste in games and we're also at similar points in our lives.

@link3710
You're correct from a technical standpoint, but I would be intrigued to know your gaming pedigree.

I'm in my 30s now, and my most hardcore gaming years were probably the N64-PS-PS2 eras. From my memory, a lot of games had design at least somewhat similar; retreading areas in Metal Gear Solid comes to mind as something I spent a lot of time doing. I never considered it "padding," rather just... I don't know, getting to know the game. Back then I feel like games were fewer and further between, so people generally lingered in games longer and really got to know them. It wasn't a bother to know the worlds front and back because hey, this was one of the only games you were probably gonna be playing for the next few months, so why not?

rallydefault

Banjo-

@link3710 My man, listen, you are complicating things. Forget about the seventh star, whenever you are doing any mission and you have a decent amount of coins (60 or more) just find more coins and get the seventh star (also known as 100th-coin star) before getting the regular star. You can get both stars and it usually works perfectly fine during the red coins mission. Just don't get the 100th coin on Tall Tall Mountain's slide. I always get over 120 coins in most levels, the only tricky one is Dire Dire Docks which has fewer coins that any other.

rallydefault wrote:

I never considered it "padding," rather just... I don't know, getting to know the game. Back then I feel like games were fewer and further between, so people generally lingered in games longer and really got to know them. It wasn't a bother to know the worlds front and back because hey, this was one of the only games you were probably gonna be playing for the next few months, so why not?

Exactly this and I'd add that in Super Mario 64 it is never a chore to do it because the worlds aren't huge and Mario moves very well so exploring is fun. I even think that Mario swims best in Super Mario 64 so I was surprised when some people complained about it.

There were fewer and they were better 😁. If newcomers are rushing Super Mario 64 and Sunshine (Sunshine is the biggest Mario 3D game) they're not going to enjoy themselves.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

NEStalgia

I think each game is unique and you can't really gonna compare them. I never liked 64 in the 90s. Coming from 2d Mario it all felt very wrong, like rex said. Later, it aged poorly. The touched up details this time let me appreciate it more. The camera blows and nothing can fix that. But the world and sounds are one of a kind, Mario's wide turn radius grows on you. It's a compact little doll world and the design is tight. It's a little bubble in time, even if you have no nostalgia for it.

Sunshine is just broken in many areas, but there's something about it. It was ahead of it's time in a number of ways and really feels like nothing else. Never played out until now, and it feels both dated and brand new all at once. And the world is a delight.

Galaxy is just galaxy. It's perfection for what it is, but it's more of a 2d style "pole to win" kind of game. That's not a bad thing. And the world is so special.

3d world is literally a 2.5d game. I don't think that's one that belongs in the comparison. It's it's own subseries more like 2d Mario meets 64.

I seem to be the only one here that loves odyssey. It was a good world, moons were abundant but that doesn't mean the hard ones weren't still hard. Fun world, fun exploration, just played a bit different from the 64 formula.

NEStalgia

1UP_MARIO

@BlueOcean your completely right about the tricky one being dire dire docks. Also the hazy maze cave is tricky if you don’t get all the blue coins

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

link3710

Honestly, I'm gonna finish this 100% run so I can finally say I've 100%ed every 3D Mario (since I only made it to 117 stars as a kid) then probably never touch SM64 again. I'd much rather do another run of Galaxy 2 or Sunshine or 3D World or Odyssey instead than go into this game again.

link3710

Banjo-

@1UP_MARIO They have to know that Hazy Maze Cave is tricky because you can easily go the wrong direction and the blue coins don't appear in plain sight. I'd go to the maze first and then exit it. As a child, it seemed almost impossible to escape the maze 😂.

Banjo-

veeflames

@NEStalgia LOL what, you're not the only one here that loves Odyssey. Odyssey is a masterpiece as far as I'm aware. Probably the best game on the Switch currently.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

link3710

@rallydefault My gaming pedigree? I technically started on the NES (My first game was Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, though I can't recall which I played first.) But I really started to get into gaming on the SNES, with Super Metroid, Super Mario All-Stars Super Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Donkey Kong Country and Kirby Super Star being the only games we had back then.

But probably when I was 5 or so, my dad got the N64. I know I started with Super Mario 64 on there, plus games like Ocarina of Time, Glover, Mario Kart 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey-Kong 64, etc (Far more than I had on the SNES). When the GameCube came out, I saved up my money for that, buying it myself. And I got pretty much all the collectathons for that too, from Sunshine to Thak to Spyro to Ty. Plus a whole bunch of other games, but I was big on collecathons.

I've recently been replaying a bunch of old ones (Banjo Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on Xbox, the Ty remaster on Switch, both the Crash and Spyro trilogies), plus hitting up some new ones (Odyssey, Yooka-Laylee, Hat in Time) and it's just... Mario 64 does not hold up well compared to anything after it. I get how impressive it was in the day (It was my first 3D game, so... yeah I know), I just don't see it as anything ever worth returning to anymore.

link3710

BabyYoda71

In 64, there’s a room with three paintings. One of which is a snow world. The other two I think are snow world’s, but they’re locked! Is there a secret way to unlock them or do you just need to progress through the game.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

porto

@NEStalgia I love odyssey too. I just have a couple of gripes with it in terms of quality. I'd say its still a 9/10 game. It's funny too, as my least favorite 3D Mario is 3D Land, and even that deserves an 8 at the least.

All Mario games are special in they're own ways. That's why some abhor Sunshine for example, while others enjoy it. Different tastes.

Edited on by porto

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

RR529

BabyYoshi12 wrote:

In 64, there’s a room with three paintings. One of which is a snow world. The other two I think are snow world’s, but they’re locked! Is there a secret way to unlock them or do you just need to progress through the game.

I take it you're talking about Cool, Cool Mountain's painting, which has duplicates on either side. I'm pretty sure they're just decorative, though.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

megasean

NEStalgia wrote:

I think each game is unique and you can't really gonna compare them. I never liked 64 in the 90s. Coming from 2d Mario it all felt very wrong, like rex said. Later, it aged poorly. The touched up details this time let me appreciate it more. The camera blows and nothing can fix that. But the world and sounds are one of a kind, Mario's wide turn radius grows on you. It's a compact little doll world and the design is tight. It's a little bubble in time, even if you have no nostalgia for it.

Sunshine is just broken in many areas, but there's something about it. It was ahead of it's time in a number of ways and really feels like nothing else. Never played out until now, and it feels both dated and brand new all at once. And the world is a delight.

Galaxy is just galaxy. It's perfection for what it is, but it's more of a 2d style "pole to win" kind of game. That's not a bad thing. And the world is so special.

3d world is literally a 2.5d game. I don't think that's one that belongs in the comparison. It's it's own subseries more like 2d Mario meets 64.

I seem to be the only one here that loves odyssey. It was a good world, moons were abundant but that doesn't mean the hard ones weren't still hard. Fun world, fun exploration, just played a bit different from the 64 formula.

Agree with a lot of the sentiments here! While I never disliked Mario 64, it also felt more exploration-heavy than what I liked about platforming 2D Mario. But I have been enjoying it much more now that I've been able to contrast it to all the different 3D Mario takes. It's got an incredible amount of charm, and really does its formula well. They all do their formula well. (Galaxy is my favorite btw, followed by Odyssey. Two pretty different games.) Would be interested to hear you expand on what you mean about Sunshine being ahead of its time. Haven't returned to that yet.

3DS: 0834-4562-2419
Wii U/Switch: seandizz

Nintendo Network ID: seandizz

Octane

@damien33ad The hovering? You press a button and you hover. Spraying? You press one of several buttons and you spray, either by walking at the same time, or by standing still. I don't see what's awkward about it.

Octane

BabyYoda71

RR529 wrote:

BabyYoshi12 wrote:

I take it you're talking about Cool, Cool Mountain's painting, which has duplicates on either side. I'm pretty sure they're just decorative, though.

Yeah, okay. I thought maybe.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

RR529

Up to 65 Stars in 64. I never beat it as a kid, so it's so surreal to be so close to unlocking the final Bowser level.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

porto

120th page of this forum, symbolizing the 120 stars in each game.

(If you don't count Galaxy's secret star ;p)

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

RR529 wrote:

Up to 65 Stars in 64. I never beat it as a kid, so it's so surreal to be so close to unlocking the final Bowser level.

Man, I just realized. They could've had it so you needed 64 stars to get to the final level!

Why didn't they do that? It would've been perfect!

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Bolt_Strike

Everyone loves to hate on the Pachinko level, but no one's talking about the actual worst level in Sunshine, the Lily Pad Ride. I mean seriously, whoever came up with that level is a sadist of the highest order. Accessed by traversing a sea of liquid death on Yoshi? Check. Ride across a rotting lily pad across a poisonous river of actual death? Check. Collect Red Coins on said poisonous river that you only get one chance to get before you either have to traverse a veeeeerrry narrow walkway back, kill yourself, or worse, take the Pipe of Shame back to Delfino Plaza and repeat the whole grueling process all over again? Check, check, and check. It doesn't get much worse than this level and I don't want to imagine what could be worse.

Drift is making this level soooooo much worse too. Mario keeps stuttering off the lily pad, and using those walkways is near impossible (which I ALWAYS find myself needing to do to mop up the coins I missed).

EDIT: Well, I did it. Somehow. But it took me a good 30 lives to get it. I haven't done the Pachinko level this run yet but I doubt it'll take me that many tries. It's a bit buggy, but not all that hard.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic