Forums

Topic: Is Nintendo resting on its laurels?

Posts 81 to 100 of 616

Tiefseemiez

@Cobalt
Which ones are you waiting for?
I understand that there is a big part of Nintendo's fanbase that does not care what system they make, as long as it has their IPs. But have they ever been faster at releasing them? I mean it takes time to develop a game and you cannot deny that they released quite a couple of games so far?
Even if they could it would be really unwise to release all of their main franchises at once.
And I prefer having a great iteration every few years rather than a lackluster one every year (which happened to other franchises).

I was surprised to learn that today apparently it already counts as a comeback when a musician does release an album after a "break" of one year. Most of the musicians I like take 2-4 years in between albums.
But there is other music to listen to and other things to do. So I am happy when they release new music, even if it took them years.

Edited on by Tiefseemiez

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

Magician

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@Magician Xbox Scarlet is not a name I have heard before. Was that suggested recently or your own idea?

Nope. Phil Spencer, on stage during the MS E3 conference this year briefly mentioned that the next Xbox was in development. He called it, "Xbox Scarlet". Although I doubt that'll be the final product name, it's probably just the project codename, like how the Switch was known as Nintendo NX before it was unveiled. The next Xbox will probably be called Xbox Two or Xbox One-Two, or something equally uninspired.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 834 games (as of November 18th, 2021)
Currently playing: Spiritfarer (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Cobalt

@Tiefseemiez

I'm waiting for METROID PRIME 4 even if I admit that I'm freakin' scared because of Bandai/Namco...
for Bayonetta 3, for a return of 1080 snowboarding, wave race, F ZERO, a Wario Platformer, a 3D donkey Kong, why not a 2D zelda (I'd killed for that ^^) pfff there is so much you can do with the awesome IPs they have. And to conclude, NEW IPS ! I want Nintendo to surprise me, the same way they did in the past.

You know, to be honest with you, I'm sad to see the sells of the Switch... I know it sounds crazy to say that kind of things BUT it's like a system can sell not because of the real potential of it but only through a BUZZ, a good buzz...

I feel like there is more and more people who don't think by themselves but who just copy and paste the dominant doxa... I think it's really sad...

PS : I wish Nintendo a huge success but for the good reasons, being Nintendo means something to me and that's never gonna change...

Cobalt

skywake

Cobalt wrote:

You mean a 2012 system with a technology of 2007 perform less than a 2017 system with the latest portable GPGPU + double of RAM ? NOOOOOOO, O RLY ?

We're talking specifically about portable play. Yes it is indeed impressive that I can play games on a portable system at similar specs to what I would've been playing on a home console 5-10 years prior. Because portable systems released prior to the Switch were always 10-15 years behind. The 3DS is behind the Gamecube, the DS was closer to the N64, the GBA was a portable SNES. The Switch is a Wii U Pro or a 360++. It's impressive.

You know what's actually ridiculous? That you keep saying the Wii U had a much stronger start when...
Untitled

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

darkfenrir

Idk what you use them for @Cobalt, but for me, the portability is useful... even in house. Yes, in house and I refuse to use a TV or get a TV is silly to think of right?

Have you played Vita or 3DS before playing some games on Switch? Portability has always come with compromise... there's a reason why even laptops are pricier than a PC for the same specs, because it's... portable, but you can plug a laptop with a monitor to make it akin to 'home console' experience.

Actually just realised that laptop and Switch are quite comparable, only that Switch is smaller and much, much more comfortable to game on and that it's small enough to be brought around if you have decent enough bag for it.

It's just that no matter how much you crow about Wii U's being better than the Switch... I... can't see that? Like I honestly can't think that. After 4 years, even if we don't count exclusives, Wii U didn't offer me anything better than Switch (yes, I'm saying ME not you).

Can Wii U allow me to play all the games I currently own on the go? Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade 2, Wizard of Legend, YsVIII Lacrimosa of Dana, Octopath Traveler, Shining Resonance: Refrain, Dead Cells? Will it be able to play these future games I'm aiming? Little Dragon's Cafe, The World Ends With You, Torna's Story DLC, Starlink, Let's Go Eevee, Tales of Vesperia, Daemon x Machina?

Here's the value I have for Wii U... only Xenoblade X and Tokyo Mirage Session, because I have to be tethered to the Wii U itself, the multiplats are easier at my own laptop, then look at the exclusives... why should I play tethered to the Wii U and TV if I can play them on Switch? Just doesn't make sense at all.

Sorry if I'm sounding rude to you but it just feels a ton like you really dislike Switch's existence :v

darkfenrir

Cobalt

@darkfenrir

You're not rude dude, it's ok !

I understand your point, and it's great, I swear.
But like you say, we are all different, we all think different even if we are all basically the same. ^^
We want to have fun, right ?

Edited on by Cobalt

Cobalt

darkfenrir

@Cobalt Yeah, it's just that in my eyes the Switch is very fine, and the list of games I wanted out of it is just getting too big for me to play (Well, I'll definitely play all the games, it's just a slow progress)

It's just that as a whole, I find Switch... is great piece of technology. The fact I can play all of these indies AND JRPG on the go without compromising much? It's a dream! Heck, I know I was leaning to even get GPD Win for the portability, and then I went and grab Switch instead... no regrets.

I have always been with the portable side of gaming world, so the fact I can play these games I want to play portably now... it's pretty much love in first play.

darkfenrir

skywake

Cobalt wrote:

But like you say, we are all different, we all think different

Being able to think something different doesn't make it any more correct. When people say that they're entitled to their opinions all they're saying is that it's physically possible for them to hold that view. The act of believing that the Switch has no games won't result in you being struck down by lightning. This is true. Same with saying that what it can do in portable mode is not impressive. But a wise person would say "well damn, you make a good point. I was wrong". Because you are quite literally measurably and provably wrong.

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LzWinky

I think the Switch is comfortable where it is. It's not directly competing in the power console market, nor the PC market, but rather its own thing.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

ValhallaOutcast

Everyone is comparing everyone is comparing 16 months of Switch vs 50-60 months of other consoles

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

Snaplocket

ValhallaOutcast wrote:

Everyone is comparing everyone is comparing 16 months of Switch vs 50-60 months of other consoles

Pretty much this. I mean, does anyone here remember the first year for the PS4 or XBONE or 3ds or N64 or Sega Saturn or PS2 or literally any other console's launch from the PS1 era onwards?

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Therad

@skywake I think 2018 has been mediocre game wise. But not only for switch, but also for the 3ds. I suspect they will launch a new handheld next year, and I am not sure it will be able to play switch games. It is much easier to build a cheaper model if it isn't.

Switch is my secondary platform, after PC. I see very little reason to own either of the power twins. That is why I am usually only counting first party titles on switch. And when you do that, 2018 haven't been anything special. Especially since they pushed Yoshi and fire emblem.

But I agree we had a great influx the first year. The switch will have a good year and will fare very well in the market. They will hit the 20 mil target easily.

PS I have no real opinion on let's go. I know too little for that. But it sure ain't a remake DS.

Therad

Cobalt

@skywake

Again, it's your way of thinking and I respect it even if I don't share it.

I'm happy for the people who like what's going on with the switch but that's true that it's not my case.
It's not me who is right, it's not you too, it's just a different opinion, a different gaming experience, a different legacy in gaming history.

Maybe the fact that "I'm old" makes a difference, dunno... Maybe the fact that start video games on the first computers in 1980, dunno... goshhh 1980 o_O time flies...

Cobalt

Tiefseemiez

@Cobalt
@skywake

I think the problem we have is more a language problem than anything else.
I also thought you, Cobalt, was stating that Switch objectively does not have many games and is a bad portable. Because those statements are factually wrong as proven by skywake.
Of course you can say "The games released are not interesting for me and the ones that are, are not enough for me." or "When I use my Switch, I usually use it outside when the sun shines bright and the fact that the display reflects that much basically makes the Switch useless to me.". Somehow the personal aspect didn't quite come through in your argument though, that is why we discussed about it.

And if you are old enough to have experienced video games in the 80ies, 90ies and 00ies you must have seen far worse than the Switch.
I remember people complaining about the original GBA and its shiny screen.

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

Yorumi

@Snaplocket we’ve posted the first year of the n64 and it quite honestly blows away the switch.

Yorumi

Nintendo Network ID: yorumi

Cobalt

@Yorumi
"we’ve posted the first year of the n64 and it quite honestly blows away the switch."

YEP !

Cobalt

skywake

ValhallaOutcast wrote:

Everyone is comparing 16 months of Switch vs 50-60 months of other consoles

A couple of pages back I tried to do this but it's a very tedious thing to do. What I've done instead is compare the libraries as of today which tells you enough I think. And when you do that you can clearly see that the Switch already has a library that's easily more impressive than the Vita and Wii U. That in terms of critical reception it's library is rivalling the 3DS. And while it's still behind the XBOne and well behind the PS4? It's not that bad considering it has only been out for a year and a bit.

Therad wrote:

I think 2018 has been mediocre game wise. But not only for switch, but also for the 3ds. I suspect they will launch a new handheld next year, and I am not sure it will be able to play switch games. It is much easier to build a cheaper model if it isn't.

I'd agree that 2018 has been a bit average especially in comparison to 2017. But I think it's fair to say that any year will look a bit average when the previous year was Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario, Zelda and a new console. I don't think this is a sign that they're releasing a new platform. I think it's a sign that the 3DS is in decline and that 2017 had been the target for a lot of development teams who are now starting new projects.

Cobalt wrote:

I'm happy for the people who like what's going on with the switch but that's true that it's not my case. It's not me who is right, it's not you too, it's just a different opinion, a different gaming experience, a different legacy in gaming history.

If you were making a purely subjective argument then you'd have somewhat of a point. For example if you said you liked a particular genre of game and that genre specifically is under-represented on Switch? Sure. If you said you don't care about portability and for you the higher performance of PS4/XBOne/PC makes those platforms better? Then sure. I understand.

But no. You said that the Switch's lineup of software is worse than the Wii U specifically. That the GamePad specific features added on Wii U games make those releases more impressive than they are on Switch. Specifically because the Switch isn't a powerhouse in portable mode. There is no subjectivity here, you are wrong.

Yorumi wrote:

we’ve posted the first year of the n64 and it quite honestly blows away the switch.

It doesn't. It took the N64 3 years to get as many games as the Switch has amassed in half that time.

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Krull

@Cobalt Ha, the GX4000 - now there was a doomed console. I'm thoroughly amazed it even had 50 games, TBH. I had a CPC 464 at the time and read magazines like Amstrad Action, so I nearly fell for the hype.

Are you suggesting the GX4000 had a better opening 17-18 months than the Switch? I kind of hope you are...

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Cobalt

@Krull

I had a 464 too with monochrome screen(those beautiful green gradient colors LOL) and just after a year or something, I got a 6128 with colors, yayyyy
I had a friend with a 664 even, goshh I think only 10 people got a 664 in the world... LMAO

Great period, great games too on the CPC. Rainbow Islands, Target Renegade, Captain Trueno, After the War, Rick Dangerous etc... Godddd, I have tears in my eyes... ^^

No, I wouldn't say that the GX4000 had a better opening but I would say that retrospectively the CPC had a better one.
I even don't talk about the Amiga 500/600 because then It was just awesome in term of games !

Cobalt

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic